Using an External DAC seemlessly with a laptop
May 7, 2015 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Narroo

New Head-Fier
Recently I got an external DAC, a Fiio E17 Alpen, for my laptop.  I was getting a lot of hissing over my headphones, so it was pretty nice to use the DAC to get rid of it.

So far it's working well, expect one annoyance.  The DAC doesn't work seamlessly with windows.  Sometimes I don't want to have my headphones on; sometimes they're somewhere else, sometimes I just get tired of them.  For casual computer use, I sometimes like using the inbuilt speakers.

Sadly, unplugging the headphones doesn't revert the computer back to it's speakers; you have to unplug the entire DAC.  On top of that, you usually have to reset any programs that were playing sound, otherwise they don't play anything at all.

Does anyone know a trick to getting an Eeernal DAC to work to work more seamlessly with my laptop, or is it just not possible?

May 8, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #2 of 5

ProtegeManiac

Headphoneus Supremus

Does anyone know a trick to getting an Eeernal DAC to work to work more seamlessly with my laptop, or is it just not possible?

Not the way you want, since it takes over as the Windows audio device. If your DAC has line or preamp outputs you can hook up external speakers to it.

In any case, what version Windows is that? In my Win7 laptop I don't have to reset/reload each program when I change the audio device (actually I'm lazy, so by that I mean I unplug the DAC instead of actually going into the Windows settings).

May 8, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #4 of 5

ProtegeManiac

Headphoneus Supremus
  I'm using Windows 7 as well.

Mine's an Aspire 5560-8480 - all programs (all music players, streaming sites, games, etc) just cut the audio for a few second then automatically select whatever the default audio device will be (whether I plug in or disconnect the DAC). Generic USB audio drivers, save for the ASIO plug in on my players.

Users who are viewing this thread