Using a prepro as DAC with Ultra Micro Amp
Nov 27, 2008 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

quicksilver02

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased an Ultra Micro amp, which I am very happy with thus far (only had it 2 days and using borrowed Senn 580's until my 650's arrive next week). I plan to primarily use the ultra micro at my work using an iPod as the source.

I would like to also use the amp at home on the weekends in the evenings while my family is asleep. My home gear that would be used with the ultra micro consists of:

- Krell HTS 7.1 Prepro
- Rega P3-2000 Turntable
- Cambridge Audio 640 Phono Preamp
- Squeezebox 3

Using the ultra micro with the turntable isn't a problem, since I can just input the phono stage direct into the headphone amp.

My question comes in with using the squeezebox with the headphone amp. I'm planning on using the DAC in my prepro, then using an output to feed the headphone amp. The HTS 7.1 doesn't have a line-out that bypasses the volume control, so I'd have both the volume control of the Krell and the ultra micro in the signal path. Aside from having to use both volume controls, would there be any other real downside to this setup?

My other option would be using the analog out on the squeezebox to feed the headphone amp, but I believe the DAC in my prepro is much better. I could eventually get the Ultra Micro DAC, but do you think that would be any better than the Krell/Ultra Micro Amp combo?

Dec 1, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by quicksilver02 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My question comes in with using the squeezebox with the headphone amp. I'm planning on using the DAC in my prepro, then using an output to feed the headphone amp. The HTS 7.1 doesn't have a line-out that bypasses the volume control, so I'd have both the volume control of the Krell and the ultra micro in the signal path. Aside from having to use both volume controls, would there be any other real downside to this setup?

My other option would be using the analog out on the squeezebox to feed the headphone amp, but I believe the DAC in my prepro is much better. I could eventually get the Ultra Micro DAC, but do you think that would be any better than the Krell/Ultra Micro Amp combo?

I took a look at the Krell manual on line and (at least for the one I think you have) there are "tape outs". They shouldn't be volume controlled; have you tried them?

Dec 2, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the reply, Tyll.

It is correct that my preamp has a "tape out" output, but it only works with analog sources. It seems to just be an analog passthrough.

The whole thing is a non-issue at this point though, since my Ultra Desktop shipped out today.
L3000.gif
I decided that I'd rather not be moving my amp back and forth between home and work, so I treated myself to an excellent DAC and amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back