Using a mains power supply
Aug 9, 2002 at 10:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pseudoanonym

New Head-Fier
I have recently bought a pair of Sennheiser HD-580's, and I want to build an amp for them (the Meta42).

I've noticed that most headphone amps (including the Meta42) are designed to run on batteries. I assume this is not only for portability, but also sound quality. How much of an issue is this? Are there any schematics for a good power supply for this application?

Aug 10, 2002 at 5:26 AM Post #4 of 8
If portability is not an issue, why not build a gilmore Amp. really nice sound. I'm very willing to help you in case you need you it.
smily_headphones1.gif

for schematics, go to headwize.com.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jayel

Aug 10, 2002 at 7:46 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for all the help.

I like the Gilmore amp, but the harderst thing for me would be coming up with a circuit board - I don't really like the idea of using prototype board. That's why I liked the Meta42 (I can just order one).

I think I may end up using a led acid battery. That would give plenty of usage before needing a recharge, and would also probably work out cheaper than building a seperate power supply.

Aug 10, 2002 at 7:59 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by puppyslugg
I think Gilmore may have boards available.

Kevin doesn't have boards for sale. But in headwize, you can find the PCB graphic you need to make your own boards.

As for the power supply, it's quite easy to use vero boards (different from protoboards I think). I've make 2 supplies already for my amp and it's very easy.

Jayel

Aug 10, 2002 at 5:10 PM Post #8 of 8
Hello,

It is not always true that uber regulator would bring out a significant change in audio quality. One of the case is opamp-based amplifier.

Opamps comes with already excessively high supply regulation. Not only that current needs of opamps are extremely small. Thus, there is no need to powerfully regulate the PSU voltage.

LM317/LM337 pair is very good. I highly recommend. They are affordable and comes with excellent quality. You can build superb quality PSU with less than 40 dollars.

OF COURSE, if you wish to build some amp with no supply regulation, Uber regulators would not be upgrade. They are simply necessity. This is not true with opamp-based designs.

UNLESS OF COURSE, YOU ATTACH THE OPAMP OUTPUT TO SUPPLY RAIL WITH A RESISTOR OR FETS. THEN THE SUPPLY RIPPLE MIX INTO SIGNAL INEVITABLY.

(I, for one, think if you wanna run opamp class-A, might as well use class-A opamps. They are neither expensive nor rare.)

Tomo

P.S. I use LM317/LM337 pair in my new reference opamp-based amp. It sounds so superb, I stopped listening to my Class-A amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back