Using a DAP as an amp source?
Feb 4, 2020 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

osanilevich

New Head-Fier
Hello all, tried searching for an answer to this question and couldn't find anything concrete. Is there any benefit to using a good DAP (A&K/Sony/FiiO) with a portable dac/amp like the Hugo 2 or the idsd bl? I'm assuming the DAP would have better output than my iphone but will it result in more or less the same sound when coming out of the DAC? If not, would a DAP like the SP1000/SP1000M be a better choice than the Hugo 2 (not just for portability but for sound as well)? Any help would be very appreciated!

Feb 4, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #2 of 3
Your iPhone already has very good sound quality.
Don't believe the garbage spouted by audiophiles.
Enjoy your music and don't worry about DAC or amps.

In general, smartphones from Apple, LG, and Samsung released in the last 3 years have very good sound quality.

Feb 4, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #3 of 3
Your iPhone already has very good sound quality.
Don't believe the garbage spouted by audiophiles.
Enjoy your music and don't worry about DAC or amps.

In general, smartphones from Apple, LG, and Samsung released in the last 3 years have very good sound quality.

Yeah, even my Asus RoG Phone 2 sounds great if I have a headphone that can get loud enough.

But if you want a dap that doubles as a dac. The Hiby R6 Pro's balanced output is 750mw @32 just like the Chord Hugo 2.

But in terms of benefit, it would actually be better to use a dap or phone with Android 8 or more. Since you can bypass the Android software and let the dac/amp handle the files alone.

Alot of daps are using old hardware and stuck on kld software that can't let you do that. The Hiby R6 Pro dap witg Android 8 can let you bypass it all with USB Audio Player Pro.

Tl;dr Both phone and dap are as good, as long as they can be setup to bypass android. Most daps currently don't.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back