Using a custom IEM without an amp (JH audio)
Jul 1, 2012 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

karohan

Head-Fier
I am potentially interested in purchasing a JH audio custom IEM. I figure they fit my sound signature requirements the best since I'm looking for an improved UE TF10 (maybe less recessed midrange) with better fit. However, I won't be using them with an amp most of the time (let's say about 50-60% of the time), so I'm wondering which is the best JH model to go with if I'm not going to be using the very best DAC and very best amp. 

Obviously I expect a JH16 to sound better than a JH5 even without an external amp, but what do you guys think is the point of diminishing returns for my case? Don't want to spend hundreds more if there's going to be marginal differences without an amp. 

Jul 2, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #2 of 8
are you able to try out the universal version? it helps a bit with the purchase. i personally didnt like the 16, 13 was nicer. somehow i liked the 10x3 best, while i eventually settled for the westone es5 haha

Jul 2, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 8
Are you going to run these out of an iphone?  Have you thought about a slim amp like the pico slim or Headstage Arrow, it makes a huge difference.

Jul 2, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Where can I try them out? I'm not sure which stores would have universal versions available

You can't really buy them from stores, they are custom made ear pieces that are purchased through audiologists to take impressions of your ear and send it away. It's a custom process in every sense of the word. You can get impressions done and send it directly to JHA too I am lead to believe?

Check out JHA's website for an audiologist near you who is sure to have some demo universals for you to try. Mine had pretty much the entire range to try.

Jul 2, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

You can't really buy them from stores, they are custom made ear pieces that are purchased through audiologists to take impressions of your ear and send it away. It's a custom process in every sense of the word. You can get impressions done and send it directly to JHA too I am lead to believe?

Check out JHA's website for an audiologist near you who is sure to have some demo universals for you to try. Mine had pretty much the entire range to try.

Oh yeah, I meant I'm not sure which stores had demo versions to try, but that really doesn't make too much sense now that I think about it because those stores wouldn't be selling them anyway. It would make more sense for the audiologist to have the, so I'll just the JHA website. Thanks for the reply

Jul 2, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Are you going to run these out of an iphone?  Have you thought about a slim amp like the pico slim or Headstage Arrow, it makes a huge difference.

Thanks for your reply. If I got these, I'd most likely run them out of my iPhone and an O2 if I was at my computer. While I'm sure an amp would be nice, it is just so much more convenient to not have an amp. Most of my travel would involve moving around and having to deal with an extra amp would be cumbersome. Plus, I always imagined IEMs improved less from amps anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back