Using a 5.1 Receiver vs DAC or Mixamp
Apr 15, 2012 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

renergy

New Head-Fier

If this is the wrong place for this post, please let me know and I will move.

I live in a small studio apartment and I am trying to get the most out of my xbox, bluray, and PC by using a good pair of headphones. I'll leave the choice of headphones for another thread, but as far as what to drive them, I have been leaning towards a Yamaha receiver with Silent Cinema. The Xbox 360 outputs through optical, my blu ray through digital coax, and the PC also through optical. All 3 also do HDMI. I would also like the ability to simulate surround through the headphones as all of my devices output 5.1. 

I'm a big noob at this stuff, but I've been doing a lot of homework and researching all sorts of DAC's and mixamps. The only thing I could find that met my needs for all 3 devices, hooked up at the same time, and simulating 5.1 was a 5.1/7.1 receiver that had either Dolby Headphone or Silenct Cinema. Going off reviews and best prices from there, I narrowed it down to the Yamaka RX v371, which is pretty much the cheapest receiver I could find with 3 optical inputs and simulated headphone surround. I called Yamaha and they said it was good up to 450ohms, so that should be plenty of power for the headphones I am looking at. 

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

I'm just looking for some general advise if what I am doing is the smart thing. I know there is about a million options, and I've tried to research the best I can, but if I'm way off, please let me know. Just to sum up, looking to hook my xbox 360, PC, and Bluray player into a single source that can output to my headphones and simulate 5.1

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
If this is the wrong place for this post, please let me know and I will move.
I live in a small studio apartment and I am trying to get the most out of my xBox, Blu-ray, and PC by using a good pair of headphones. I'll leave the choice of headphones for another thread, but as far as what to drive them, I have been leaning towards a Yamaha receiver with Silent Cinema. The Xbox 360 outputs through optical, my blu ray through digital coax, and the PC also through optical. All 3 also do HDMI. I would also like the ability to simulate surround through the headphones as all of my devices output 5.1. 
I'm a big noob at this stuff, but I've been doing a lot of homework and researching all sorts of DAC's and mix-amps. The only thing I could find that met my needs for all 3 devices, hooked up at the same time, and simulating 5.1 was a 5.1/7.1 receiver that had either Dolby Headphone or Silent Cinema. Going off reviews and best prices from there, I narrowed it down to the Yamaha RX v371, which is pretty much the cheapest receiver I could find with 3 optical inputs and simulated headphone surround. I called Yamaha and they said it was good up to 450ohms, so that should be plenty of power for the headphones I am looking at. 

[size=1.7em] I'm just looking for some general advise if what I am doing is the smart thing. I know there is about a million options, and I've tried to research the best I can, but if I'm way off, please let me know. Just to sum up, looking to hook my xBox 360, PC, and Blu-ray player into a single source that can output to my headphones and simulate 5.1[/size]

Yamaha RX-V371, best price is at Newegg.
HDMI is the best way for all three.
Only HDMI can carry full Blu-ray audio.
HDMI has the most bandwidth for audio.
Silent Cinema should processes xBox, Blu-ray, PC 5.1 audio into headphone surround sound.

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 5
Wow, good spot on the newegg deal. That saves me 60 bucks. I see that you've used both the dt 990's and the hd 598s. Im currently lookng at both of these as well as considering buying a used pair of hd 650's. Do you have any preference on these or any other suggestions? My uses are in order, gaming, movies, music, television.

Apr 15, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
Wow, good spot on the Newegg deal. That saves me 60 bucks. I see that you've used both the DT 990's and the HD 598s. I'm currently looking at both of these as well as considering buying a used pair of HD 650's. Do you have any preference on these or any other suggestions? My uses are in order, gaming, movies, music, television.

I'm guessing your going for the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back