Useful firefox addons
Nov 23, 2008 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Al4x

Headphoneus Supremus
i dont know if this has been done, a search and i couldnt find a similar one, but say if there is

i thought it would be useful for people to share any unknown/common addons that others may find useful

i use

WOT - tells u if a url is safe based upon users own ratings [headfi is excellent]
Adblock - obvious
AIO sidebar - really useful, descrete sidebar for addons, downloads, history etc
Autofil - fills in addresses, email ads etc
Dictionary - spellchecker
Download helper - youtube [similar sites] video downloader
Fast dial - presents you with a grid of bookmarked web pages as a homepage
Google preview - preview of web page next its google result
IE tab - runs pages in internet explorer mode
Image bot - very efficient image hosting from browser of imageshack and photobucket, lets u see all your images on server att the touch of a button
RIP - manaul ad removal for those that adblock cant get

Nov 23, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 37
Noscript - blocks all scripts until you allow them to run
image zoom - zooms images
Foxmarks - synchronize your bookmarks and passwords to a centralized location, across multiple computers
Internet Download Manager - quick downloads, get any piece of media from a page, $$$

Nov 23, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 37
FireGestures (increases productivity- once you memorize your settings, you will never want to go without it)
Remove it Permanently (removes anything annoying)
Adblock (duh)
Tiny Menu (helps increase screen real-estate)

Currently trying out FoxTab

Nov 23, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 37
Adblock Plus
British English Dictionary
DownloadHelper
DownThemAll! - download accelerator
IE Tab
PDF Download - choose to open or download PDF files
United States English Dictionary

My own FireFox / IE search engine addon:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/cu...firefox+search

Nov 23, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #7 of 37
thanks guys for introducing me to RIP..Ahhh it's so clean now
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #8 of 37
TabRenamizer - nothing like someone standing behind you spying out the titles of your tabs. "You're not supposed to be on head-fi at the office" :p

Fasterfox - speed tweaks for firefox, but not available for v3.0.4 it seems.

Nov 23, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #9 of 37
I recently formatted my laptop and reinstalled XP, so I had to reinstall Firefox. I cut down on the addons significantly. I had several that I just didn't use. What I have now:

Adblock Plus: a MUST!!!!
NoScript: also very nice.
Tab Mix Plus
PDF Download
IE Tab
FoxyTunes
FoxClocks
Favicon Picker 3: very handy for those 'empty' bookmarks, so you can add any favicon you want or change existing ones.

That's pretty much all I need. I'll try Remove It Permanently now too though, sounds nice.

Also, I have added a lot of search engines to the 'quick search engine bar' in the top right of Firefox, like Wikipedia, YouTube, IMDb, Dictionary.com, Thesaurus.com, Mininova, etc.

Nov 23, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #14 of 37
Off topic, however I tried Google Chrome out and haven't looked back. It's faster and has features which I prefer (in my opinion, one of the best being auto-detection of sites hosting malware and the option not to load them even after clicking the link). FInally, I like the UI a lot more. I would encourage people to give it a try!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back