Useful firefox addons
Nov 25, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #31 of 37
Scrapbook: Saves the web page you are viewing. I use this quite often.

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #32 of 37
Skipper - remembers your user name and password for all sites
Tab Mix Plus - cannot live without it. Ever close a tab accidentally and cannot remember how you got there?
Delicious Bookmarks- Definitely cannot exist without this baby
PDF Downloader - really, why not?
Ad Block Plus - Don't leave home without it
No Script - same as above
Down Them All - ever dl .001 - .010?
Download Helper - Oh, my. How do you dl without it???
Session Manager - Remembers your current session and older ones also

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #33 of 37
In addition to my previous post, I have since installed three more add-ons suggested by other posts in this thread.

Tiny Menu: my menu is now tiny (duh) and I moved my navigation bar contents over to the menu bar. Then I disabled the navigation bar. More screen real estate for me! Good thing I also use Emerge Desktop, that way I have even more screen real estate!!

Remove It Permanently: handy little add-on to get rid of certain links or pictures or whole parts of pages, permanently! But you can also easily get them back! Now my homepage (google.com/ncr) is even cleaner!

FireGestures: WOW. I've only been using it for a short while now, but I LOVE it! I deleted all the gestures and put in my own (why not start off properly?). Now I have these short and very easy to remember mouse gestures to navigate and use firefox. I definitely feel that I am moving the mouse pointer much less and don't have to worry about clicking properly on a forward button, close button, minimise button etc etc. Now I can just make a quick flick with the mouse while holding the right mouse button and poof!, it happens. Great add-on.

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #34 of 37
Does anyone know of any useful privacy and security add-ons for Firefox 23 on Windows 7 that I am missing? Currently, I have Adblock Plus 2.3.2, Advertising Cookie Opt-out 1.5, Disconnect 3.4.1, Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on 0.9.6 and HTTPS-Everywhere 4.0development.10. Even though this thread has been dead for years I just thought that I would ask here instead of unnecessarily starting my own thread.

EDIT: I'm quite sure that someone has probably already posted security/privacy add-ons either in this thread or another that were good in the past but a lot can change (and does change) in the software game over 5 years.

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #35 of 37
How about "No Script" and "Flash Block"

No Script is super annoying though and will make you hate the world. Flash Block will block flash until you click a flash item.

Right now I use Ad-Block Plus and Flash Block.

What drives me nuts is how akamai on Facebook freezing my computer for 30 seconds. All those huge websites with social media plugins do that! Makes me sick when I login to facebook and forget to logout and I'm signed in to another website with Facebook (ie Rottentomatoes).

I'm thinking the latest versions of Firefox just make everything slower.

I use Firefox with no cache and I swear it must have a massive memory leak.

BTW I think it's hilarious how Chrome doesn't let you disable your cache at all. I'm sure there are some workarounds to let you do it..

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #36 of 37
Quote:
How about "No Script" and "Flash Block"

No Script is super annoying though and will make you hate the world. Flash Block will block flash until you click a flash item.

Right now I use Ad-Block Plus and Flash Block.

What drives me nuts is how akamai on Facebook freezing my computer for 30 seconds. All those huge websites with social media plugins do that! Makes me sick when I login to facebook and forget to logout and I'm signed in to another website with Facebook (ie Rottentomatoes).

I'm thinking the latest versions of Firefox just make everything slower.

I use Firefox with no cache and I swear it must have a massive memory leak.

BTW I think it's hilarious how Chrome doesn't let you disable your cache at all. I'm sure there are some workarounds to let you do it..

I wouldn't know what you mean as I don't use social media. I'm not surprised that Google doesn't let you disable cache in Chrome. I do not like Google one bit and I think they are evil.

Aug 30, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #37 of 37
Quote:
No Script is super annoying though and will make you hate the world.

It takes a while to get used to it. That's for sure. It's rather interesting to use No Script just to see what domains is connected to. It almost makes me forget that I installed it for security reasons. NS does let you block Flash as well by the way. And talking about annoying; did you try Request Policy? Will take any website apart for the sake of privacy and security but once you have a decent white-list you're good. These two add-ons alone are my anti-virus basically. Well yeah, Comodo Firewall serves me very well too. Another add-on that I like is Better Privacy but to be honest, I don't know if it's function is even relevant nowadays. Must read up again ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back