Used CD Only Player in $300-500 Range?????
May 24, 2005 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

BillyBenBilly

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Woo Audio 3 amp with a nice sampling of used and NOS tubes, Grado SR-225 phones, and an old Pioneer DV-414 cd/dvd player as a source. I'm looking to upgrade to a better new or used cd player (DVD/SACD capability not needed). Musical tastes are ecclectic with acoustic jazz, small ensemble classical, and pop/rock/alternative/whatever filling out the rest. Would those of you with direct experience with particular cd players that you consider excellent in this price range please make recommendations? If you would please also make comments regarding what you consider the strengths and weaknesses of your recommended unit, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

May 25, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 20
Onix XCD-88. This is essentially a music hall cd-25. They are on sale right now for $299 from www.av123.com. These are very nice sounding players... perhaps a little lean in the bass and / or slightly brightish. This player can also be modded for a reasonable sum at a later date for even better performance. Once modded this cd player is extremely good sounding and you dont lose your original investment.
wink.gif

May 27, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #6 of 20
I would go with SACD_Lover's recommendation. That is basically a Shanling S100. You can further mod that thing out the wazoo like Earl stated. Plus...it is new, so you have a warranty!

May 27, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyBenBilly
COME ON PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO Nobody else can recommend a cd player in this price range........Are you all listening through computer drives and I-Pods??????
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Calm down, my friend. The value of the response to your question is not proportional to the number of different answers you receive.

As Zanth wrote, sacd lover has given you excellent advice.
1) The Shanling S100 is a very nice unit. There is a whole cottage industry in N. America based on hot-rodding it. You can tweak it for <$100 by opamp rolling. Search the forum.
2) Between the favorable exchange rate, the cost of manufacture in China and the lower cut that AV123 takes in importing this version of the Shanling S100, the Onix XCD-88 is an exceptional deal. Another, almost identical version of the Shanling, the Music Hall CD-25, has been a standard recommendation at $500-$600 for some time until the AV123 deal appeared. Search the forum.

May 27, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 20
Jeff. My posting was more meant in jest. Sorry that I could not communicate my intent clearly by e-mail. I thought the smilely faces would do that. My apologies to anyone who took it in a way other than it was intended. Earl and you, Jeff have, indeed, provided wise counsel and I am looking in that direction. I thought others might have had experience with other units; Cambridge Audio Azur 640 C, Jolida, Ah Tjoeb 4000, and others come to mind and that they might be able to comment on the relative merits based on their experiences. I 'd certainly appreciate any other comments. Thanks again to those who posted.

May 27, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #9 of 20
BillyBenBilly: Missed the [nudge] in your post but on second reading, you were sending tongue-in-cheek vibes. I just failed to receive them.
wink.gif

Here's a thread from another audio forum that you might find to be of help in your quest.

May 29, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by YngwieJMalmsteen
The rega planet 2000 is really nice...

I second that. I loved it so much, I bought it!

May 29, 2005 at 3:24 PM Post #11 of 20
This may be a little off the topic of my original post but does anyone have any experience comparing one of the cheaper SACD/CD players when playing cds, such as the Philips DVD 963SA, to the Onix XCD-88 or Music Hall 25 playing cds?

May 29, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #12 of 20
I don't have a tremendous experience with SACD players, but I heard a few Sony SACD players with Redbook CDs and the dedicated players are considerably better.

May 31, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #13 of 20
Billyxxxxxx, I just went through this search 4 months ago...ended up with an Arcam CD73t ($650 new 400 to 500 used). It blew the doors off of Rotel 1072 ($550) and the somewhat cheaper Cambridge Azur CD player. The Arcam is also upgradeable two steps to the 192t model (for another $1200). Anyway...I use my player with both headphones and speakers...really nice player...great (within price range) with voices, soudstaging and with musical tone. Didn't get a chance to hear the players previously listed.

Jun 2, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Onix XCD-88....perhaps a little lean in the bass and / or slightly brightish. This player can also be modded for a reasonable sum at a later date for even better performance. Once modded this cd player is extremely good sounding and you dont lose your original investment.
wink.gif

Not to jack this thread completely, but regarding warming up the Onix... Are the mods referred to above opamp switchouts or something else? Can I roll opamps in the onix like I can in a supermacro 3? I see there's a browndog adapter that takes dual opamps and converts to a single mount. Using that, can one try out something like an AD797 in the Onix?

Thanks for any replies, like the original poster I am very interested in the Onix, but as a bass player I like my treble in measured doses.
smily_headphones1.gif
(Though I think the rest of my rig may balance out the stock onix anyway. (ppx3 -> hd600))

-Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back