Used AKG K240 Sextetts for 30USD and how to power them ?
Oct 20, 2019 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Kakakakakarrotcake

New Head-Fier
Hello
I found used AKG K240 Sextetts fo 30USD, I think it's a pretty good deal, I listen to metal/rock mostly and bass heavy songs for which i heard these headphones are not the best but they are probably the best I can afford anyways.
Also how do I power these, do I need to buy some headphone amp to connect to pc or do I buy a vintage receiver to power them. Or something else ? Do I need a external DAC or a sound card if I buy an AMP because the motherboard dac isn't the best. Headphones are 600ohms, I am new to all this so please be elaborate.

Thanks

Oct 20, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 9
A JDS Atom or Schiit Magni should be fine for powering them.
My AKG K240 Monitor 600-Ohm headphone where not that power demanding, my O2 (Objective 2) head amp could drive them, with the volume knob at about 60%-70%.
I would assume the Atom and Magni are more powerful.

Oct 20, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #3 of 9
You probably watched my review based upon your comments.
Vintage receiver is the best ive heard them sound. Even better than my GOTL,which is the only high impedance headphone I can say that about.
On the volume knob you can get to about 35-40% before its too loud. Lots of midbass slam,but sub bass is virtually non-existent.

A DAC will certainly help with all headphones,but if your budget cannot afford both and amp and a DAC,start with the amp. Perhaps the Atom will work,but recievers blow the the Magni out of the water for driving the Sextetts.

Oct 20, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 9
You probably watched my review based upon your comments.
Vintage receiver is the best ive heard them sound. Even better than my GOTL,which is the only high impedance headphone I can say that about.
On the volume knob you can get to about 35-40% before its too loud. Lots of midbass slam,but sub bass is virtually non-existent.
A DAC will certainly help with all headphones,but if your budget cannot afford both and amp and a DAC,start with the amp. Perhaps the Atom will work,but receives a little nee blow the the Magni out of the water for driving the Sextetts.
Might I assume a vintage receiver gives the 600-Ohm Sextett a little need bass boost?

And Kakakakakarrotcake, here are what look to me as good bang for the buck ($30-$70) external DACs.
https://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs?sort=p.price&order=ASC

Oct 20, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #5 of 9
Might I assume a vintage receiver gives the 600-Ohm Sextett a little need bass boost?

The EP and MP versions do not need a midbass boost. They slam pretty hard as is. The LP to my ears is too bass light regardless.
Its more of the Sextett sounding fuller,more musical,better mids. Pretty much better across the board out of an old receiver vs. one of the cheaper desktop amps.

Oct 20, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #6 of 9
Thought this wa similar to a Reddit post I made just a bit ago.
Yes $30 is a good deal. Yes they are not bass heavy but do rock for well Rock music. As for driving them yes they do respond to power as in a high impedance output amp or vintage receiver which most prefer. I just gave them a run on a few amps I have but not all so here is my impressions. Went to ZMFestivus a week before I went on vacation so not a lot is out so have just a few things to give my Sextetts a shot on.

Using a Dragonfly Red as the dac I tried a few to see how they drove my Sextetts. First off the JDS Atom and it did well but not much volume as the 600 ohm Sextetts are more than they want but not much volume as the 240’s are a bit more than they want. Next up is my Cavalli Liquid Carbon the original version and just a bit better with volume but a nicer warmer sound but still no headroom to speak of. Next up is the Bottlehead Crack so now we’re talking . My non Speedball with a 5998 power tube is just awesome with the 240’s with good dynamics and not warm as too many believe that tube amps are and good soundstage. The last one I tried is my old Hahler .

Oct 20, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 9
$30 is a good price. As far as the amp...the more power you can give them the better. At one point I had two Sextetts: an LP, an MP, and 2 different amps to use them on: Schiit Magni and an AKG HP4E. The Magni gets talked about a lot...it's a good amp and it was able to power the Sextetts...mostly. I did feel like they could use more power though.
The AKG amp, on paper, doesn't have as much power as the Magni, but in practice, it was noticeably better sounding with every high impedance headphone I threw at it. It costs the same as the Magni 3. It lacks some features: no on/off switch, no high/low gain switch.. but it makes up for it in other ways: two stereo inputs and four stereo outputs, with switches on the front panel that let you select your desired input. Each channel is fitted with both 1/8" and 1/4"
In english, that's 4 headphones (in either jack size) hooked up to 2 sources.
It's a really underappreciated/inexpensive amp.
(https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...gS-guGKE-ZdHC-YXkQ4aAr-GEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Oct 20, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #8 of 9
I meant to add....my bet is the headphones will sound better with a vintage amp...but if you can't get one for $100, then I would suggest the AKG amp. I can't think of anything that costs less that will be able to power 600ohm headphones from the 1970s.

Oct 20, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #9 of 9
IMG_20190712_182224_136.jpg .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back