Use Ety 6i's without filters??
Dec 18, 2007 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

shirleywhite

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all.

A quick question - I find my 6i's filters need changing quite often(IMHO) - on average every six months. I presume it's tiny quantities of earwax etc that gradually clog up the filter. Wonder if it's possible/advisable to run them without the filter in??? I'm guessing the answer is no - obviously they are there to prevent anything getting into the "guts" of the drivers etc etc. But my 2 other iems ( superfi5pros, E3's) dont have changeable filters. (Just came with a kind of "scraping tool"!! ) So just wondered if anyone has tried the 6i's without??

At the end of the day I'll prob just buy another pack of filters and carry on changing as necessary - but I'm just curious I guess!?

PS I'm using the grey double flanges on the etys - for me they give the best fit/comfort/sound!!

Dec 18, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 5
SF5 and E3c are all designed with a semi-blocking nozzle that stop earwax from getting in too deep, ER6i, however, has no defense without the filter... once the earwax did go into the drivers, do you plan to open the whole thing up than try to clean it?

If you don't want to spend the money on a pack of new filter, maybe you can try the iM716 filter mod.

I clean my ear and the flange regularly, so I am still using the original filter since 2004.

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 5
I use my E3c without filter. They clogged up, (because someone else used them who had waxy ears), so I disassembled them (filters were "not user replaceable") and popped out the filter, and just run no filter at all. But if you have to change your filter often, it means it's doing it's job, so replace them. Don't risk it.

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 5
Or you could go to the nearest pharmacy, spend $1.06 on a bottle of hydrogen peroxide (5% solution), and soak your clogged filters in that.

It will completely dissolve earwax, and won't harm the plastic any more than it will eat it's way through the plastic bottle it came in. (Which is to say, over a delta of maybe 15 years, sure, it might be a problem, but not overnight)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back