Use Creative X-Fi notebook card or upgrade to a cheap usb dac/amp (For Grado SR225)
Nov 3, 2008 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

blynch1

New Head-Fier
I was recently gifted Grado SR225 and running them through a creative x-fi xtreme audio notebook card I had sitting around. It sounds better than running it off the Ipod nano, but I have no idea how the output of this card compares to usb dac/amps I see commonly used on this forum.

Would I get noticeably better sound using a dac/amp? If so which would you recommend (was planning on spending less than $100)?

Also, I know the bass response is weak on this set of cans, but would adding an amp increase the bass output?

Thanks,
B

-I listen to thrash and progressive metal if that matters.

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 4
would a Fiio e3 help with my setup?

I am also looking at the PAVA2 which runs $65, would it make a noticeable improvement and would it be significantly better than the Fiio to justify the increased cost?

-I'd really like a desktop usb dac/amp but after looking around for those it seems they cost at least a few hundred dollars, which is out of my price range right now.
The Grados sound noticeably better when I drive them with my Pioneer VSX-816 receiver, and I'd like to get my computer output to at least that quality.

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #3 of 4
also is a radioshack gold plated 1/4 to 1/8 inch adapter adequate or do I need a higher quality adapter for plugging in to my computer/ipod? I know grado and senn make these, but I already have the radioshack one and I'm not sure there is any difference between them.

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 4
Hey B,
I don't know about the adapter you bought, but it seems most think that if the fit is solid, you should be fine.

However, if its just an adapter without a little cord you may be putting lots of stress on your jack and it's probably annoyingly long. check out:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/1-...cables-266889/

I personally just bought the grado cable for 10$ after shipping using the TTVJ new customer coupon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back