Use cars speakers
Mar 30, 2006 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ckacosta

New Head-Fier
I want to play my iPod through my cars speakers but don't want to spend $100 or more for a new deck that has a line-in. Is there any way to connect the iPod headphone-out directly to my cars speakers, bypassing the deck?

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 5

Dyoel182

100+ Head-Fier
Not really unless you have a seperate amp driving the speakers or want to splice something into your cd player. I had a friend that soldered onto his fm radio connection, it was pretty ghetto but it worked. But you'll need the headunits amp to power those speakers anyway.

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #3 of 5

Canon

100+ Head-Fier
You could use an FM transmitter... but those usually suck pretty bad though.

You could try a cassette adapter if your car has a cassette deck. These again don't produce amazing quality but better than FM transmitters in my experience (dependant on the quality of the tape deck in your car especially). Also the cords on these are inherendly thin and delicate and have a tendancy to develop loose connections.

Your deck may have a cd-changer input (some factory decks do) and you may be able to buy an adapter to use it for line in. I don't know much about this but I read about someone doing it somewhere.

You could go gheto and get a cheap car amp, plug the IPOD into it with an RCA to 3.5mm stereo jack (making sure not to unplug it while it's on...), hook that up to your speakers and maybe find a swich you could use to switch those speakers to the factory deck when you want to listen to the radio... that'd be pretty gheto though but sounds like it could actually work if you can find the parts cheap enough.
smily_headphones1.gif
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #4 of 5

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
How closely have you checked your car's deck? A lot of them have an AUX input on them you can jack into. If it's an aftermarket, take a look at the specs and see if there's a way.

I just dealt with this myself. I was seriously thinking about buying a new deck with iPod control capabilities (as opposed to the AUX jack) when I discovered that mine already had it. It's a Clarion, and the primary reason I bought it was because it was on special for $89 or so and is a decent brand. I still have to buy a control module, but this was a good surprise.

Mar 30, 2006 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 5

AlanY

1000+ Head-Fier
Most factory decks can accept an auxiliary (iPod) input. You just have to wire it to the CD changer input pins. (Sometimes you also have to add a single resistor or switch to let the deck know those pins are being used.) Every car I've owned since 1990 has had this ability.

Do some hunting around on the web for details on how to do this for your car model. The information you find doesn't have to be for your exact car, since manufacturers use the same connectors for years on multiple cars.

Users who are viewing this thread