USB Soundcard for Speakers and Headphones
Jul 7, 2004 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

stromie

100+ Head-Fier
I am currently running Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 from the headphone port on my 17" iMac and running my brand new used Beyer DT531 out of the Klipsch control pod.

What I am considering doing is buying a USB sound card and upgrading from my Klipsch 2.1 to another set of speakers. My preliminary purchase would be either the Yamaha DP-U50 or the Griffin Powerwave and Swan M200 multimedia speakers. The Yamaha seems like a more complete solution than the Griffin but I can be sure that the Griffin will work well with my Mac.

I just want to get some feedback on these two USB soundcards that do both speakers and headphones.

Thanx in advance!

-Stromie

Jul 7, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #2 of 7
The Yamaha DP-U50 works great with my Mac, and while the headphone amp in it isn't great, it's certainly a big step up from the one in the Promedia speakers.

Jul 8, 2004 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 7
I don't really know much about the Yamaha but some audiophile's like the Griffin Powerwave's speaker outputs. You wouldn't use them though. Thing about the Swan M200s is it take RCA inputs so you'd use you lineout on the soundcard for that. This supposedly "good" output from the Powerwave wouldn't be used. That could also be an issue if you decide to get a dedicated headphone amp which would also need RCA output from your soundcard and you only have one pair.

Jul 8, 2004 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I don't really know much about the Yamaha but some audiophile's like the Griffin Powerwave's speaker outputs. You wouldn't use them though. Thing about the Swan M200s is it take RCA inputs so you'd use you lineout on the soundcard for that. This supposedly "good" output from the Powerwave wouldn't be used. That could also be an issue if you decide to get a dedicated headphone amp which would also need RCA output from your soundcard and you only have one pair.

I don't envision there being a problem with a dedicated headphone amp. If I do buy one, it will be of the lower end variety which would include at highest the Headsave Classic and more likely the Go/Mint Vibe. I figured that the Swan M200 used RCA after remembering what my roommates looked like. I think I am going to go after a Yamaha of some sort and then worry about getting the new speakers after I sell mine.

Jul 8, 2004 at 7:53 PM Post #5 of 7
I have used the Yamaha with my ti-book. Works great, and it was a step up in headphone amp quality. Nevertheless, Sunbyrne is correct in his assessment of the headphone stage. You will end up adding another module downstream eventually, but that is a given at Head-Fi
wink.gif

Another option (costlier) is a firewire interface. Better suited for music, especially if you have a need for A to D conversion as well. I also think this is the best approach for desktop computers.

gerG

Jul 9, 2004 at 12:53 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
I have used the Yamaha with my ti-book. Works great, and it was a step up in headphone amp quality. Nevertheless, Sunbyrne is correct in his assessment of the headphone stage. You will end up adding another module downstream eventually, but that is a given at Head-Fi
wink.gif

Another option (costlier) is a firewire interface. Better suited for music, especially if you have a need for A to D conversion as well. I also think this is the best approach for desktop computers.

gerG

Thanx for the input. I'm not really looking for conversions at this point just a USB sound card and trying to do it as cheap as possible. So Firewire is out of the picture. Also, I like what the Yamaha has to offer in the way of looks and abilities to do more than one thing.

Jul 10, 2004 at 1:51 AM Post #7 of 7
I have to reiterate that the Yamaha is an amazing piece of gear for the current going price. It would be my first choice, even at a much higher price. Come to think of it, it was!

One thing to be aware of. Although it looks marvelous on a desktop, it is quite large. Not portable, although transportable if you are committed. It is the size of a small receiver standing on end at an angle. The knob is huge, and will give your other components knob envy.

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back