USB Scrubbers / Decrapifier / Distortion Reduction etc...for a Schiit Jotunheim
Apr 4, 2017 at 9:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Share2Care

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Ladies & Gents.

I am thoroughly enjoying my Schiit Jotunheim and I am utilising the DAC module fully with my PC.

With using my PC and a USB A B cable, I know of several devices such as the AQ Jitterbug, iFi Purifier 3.0, iFi Defender and even Schiits own WYRD!

IF I were to connect a AQ Jitterbug to the USB cable connecting my Jot to my PC could I expect a somewhat tidier / cleaner sound to be available? 

These plug-in adapters are around £40 each whereas the WYRD being £110.00. 

The questions I have is has anyone had a play around with these USB adapters or has a WYRD? If so, what are your thoughts?

Ultimately, I believe in Schiit and do not believe they would make something unless there was a benefit to be found. A rare thing is trust in an audio manufacturer! 

So, using a Jotunheim, will I notice a difference and if so, is it worth £100 device or the cheaper and more flexible options in terms of being able to use with your laptop etc. 

I am happy to spend the money if it warrants it so YOUR advice, knowledge, guidance and help would be really appreciated.

Thank you :)

Apr 4, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 7
  Hey Ladies & Gents.

I am thoroughly enjoying my Schiit Jotunheim and I am utilising the DAC module fully with my PC.

With using my PC and a USB A B cable, I know of several devices such as the AQ Jitterbug, iFi Purifier 3.0, iFi Defender and even Schiits own WYRD!

IF I were to connect a AQ Jitterbug to the USB cable connecting my Jot to my PC could I expect a somewhat tidier / cleaner sound to be available? 

These plug-in adapters are around £40 each whereas the WYRD being £110.00. 

The questions I have is has anyone had a play around with these USB adapters or has a WYRD? If so, what are your thoughts?

Ultimately, I believe in Schiit and do not believe they would make something unless there was a benefit to be found. A rare thing is trust in an audio manufacturer! 

So, using a Jotunheim, will I notice a difference and if so, is it worth £100 device or the cheaper and more flexible options in terms of being able to use with your laptop etc. 

I am happy to spend the money if it warrants it so YOUR advice, knowledge, guidance and help would be really appreciated.

Thank you :)

Does no one have any knowledge, informed views, opinions or anything for that matter on this post?!

Please be so kind to help. It would be most appreciated.

Cheers :)

Apr 5, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #3 of 7
the main thing the decrapifiers do is clean up/stabilize the USB power (AKA make sure a steady 5V is supplied which some motherboards aren't so good at) which is really only a benefit to DACs that are powered by USB

Apr 6, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #4 of 7

I had the Schiit Wyrd and it didn't make an appreciable difference in my system.
However the Intona USB isolator made a HUGE difference.   (I reviewed it HERE)
I know the Intona sells at an entirely different price point, but it made the difference for me.  If you can get your hands on a 2nd hand one - you can save a little $$$.

Jun 21, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #5 of 7
I know this is an old thread but I didn't want to start a new one.
A question or 2
Firstly and seriously, I don't know Schiit about a lot of this stuff so if you respond please keep that in mind.
I picked up the WYRD from a fine member here for a really good price to hopefully clean up my current issue. It's driving me crazy
I fully expected a black background even at high volume but it hasn't happened.
During quite parts on any track, I hear this hiss background noise. Best way to describe is a Shhhhhhhhh type sound.

Is this from the Modi 2 DAC, my Jot, or is it simply the quality of my source player. I hear this on every set of cans and on both Spotify premium and Tidal Hi-FI/Master?
I just can't take it. I thought buying this unit would do the trick but it's still there.
Thoughts?

Jun 21, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #6 of 7
I know this is an old thread but I didn't want to start a new one.
A question or 2
Firstly and seriously, I don't know Schiit about a lot of this stuff so if you respond please keep that in mind.
I picked up the WYRD from a fine member here for a really good price to hopefully clean up my current issue. It's driving me crazy
I fully expected a black background even at high volume but it hasn't happened.
During quite parts on any track, I hear this hiss background noise. Best way to describe is a Shhhhhhhhh type sound.

Is this from the Modi 2 DAC, my Jot, or is it simply the quality of my source player. I hear this on every set of cans and on both Spotify premium and Tidal Hi-FI/Master?
I just can't take it. I thought buying this unit would do the trick but it's still there.
Thoughts?

From what you describe it's highly unlikely it is due to your USB connection. Those issues tend to be more random and adds glare and harshness to highs. Shhhhhhh is usually associated with noise floor issues. Schiit stuff is pretty good in this regard, but if you have sensitive headphones and you are using SE output, then you may get this issue. Options are:

1) Try different headphone
2) Try balanced output of Jot
3) Contact Schiit - you may have a faulty power supply with one of the 2 components

You should probably ask in the Jot forum and make sure you note what headphones you are using.

Jun 21, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #7 of 7
From what you describe it's highly unlikely it is due to your USB connection. Those issues tend to be more random and adds glare and harshness to highs. Shhhhhhh is usually associated with noise floor issues. Schiit stuff is pretty good in this regard, but if you have sensitive headphones and you are using SE output, then you may get this issue. Options are:

1) Try different headphone
2) Try balanced output of Jot
3) Contact Schiit - you may have a faulty power supply with one of the 2 components

You should probably ask in the Jot forum and make sure you note what headphones you are using.

Thanks for input.
Let me note this happens on all 3 cans and I'm not balanced. I probably won't go that route anytime soon as I'm tapped out on gear.

I have AQ Nightowls. HD 650 and THX-00 Purple-hearts which are all
pretty solid mid-fi so I'm pretty sure it's not the HP's.
I'm leaning towards a faulty power supply as you mentioned because it's all 3 cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back