USB -> S/PDIF?
Jun 16, 2002 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

zzz

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone knows of a chip that takes USB audio in and produces S/PDIF-coded signal? I assume something like that exists, since there are USB DACs around (but I really don't want that AC part of them).

Interested in connecting external DAC (ART DI/O) to my laptop and quite unhappy with the pricing of existing commercial solutions that cost north of 200 USD...

Jun 16, 2002 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 12
http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p....text.20020616

The Onkyo SE-U55 is probably what you want, maybe a bit nore than you need but certainly withing your price rainge at $70USD.

Yesterday I was surfing around and found an SPDIF-USB interface that did inoput/output at up teo 24/48. It's probably more along the lionds of what you want but now I can't find it.

As for a DIY project, there are enough reasonably priced solutions that I don't think anyone is seriously motivated to try it. You just have to hunt for them, theya re out there.

If I find that device I was looking at yesterday I'll post back here.

Jun 16, 2002 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 12
here, this is it... Edirol UA-1D USB Digital Audio interface

http://www.minidisco.com/minispecs/edirolua1d.html

You might be able to find a better price but even $100 is well under the $200 you quote.

*EDIT*

Crap, looking at the specs this thing only outputs 48k.

Jun 16, 2002 at 5:09 PM Post #4 of 12
Yeah, I found this Onkyo thing couple of hours after posting and the Roland toy just a tad after that, so I guess I'm not interested in DIYing it anymore
smily_headphones1.gif
. Thanks.

Jun 16, 2002 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 12
Do tell about the roland.

Jun 17, 2002 at 2:31 AM Post #6 of 12
That Edirol thing looks small, light and just what people were looking for. Onkyo is much bigger and heavier, while this one is portable. I don't think 24/96 is very important to most people looking to use this. I might want to buy one myself...

Jun 17, 2002 at 3:28 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by aos
That Edirol thing looks small, light and just what people were looking for. Onkyo is much bigger and heavier, while this one is portable. I don't think 24/96 is very important to most people looking to use this. I might want to buy one myself...

It's not so much 24/96 thats important than the ability to do 44.1k and not trash the output by 'upsampling' to 48k that it appears the Edirol does.

Jun 17, 2002 at 5:57 PM Post #9 of 12
I've just read about another one of these: a Harmon-Kardon unit. (DAL 150 EzLink, $150 list.) It was just a short blurb, not a full review, so I don't know how good it is.

Jun 17, 2002 at 7:31 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by aos
Ah... converts everything to 48kHz... that's not nice. Still, if properly done it won't screw up sound much. But if you insist, there's another product in the same series that outputs 44.1kHz:

http://www.edirol.com/products/info/ua3d.html

Much more reasonable but I'd swear it looks *JUST* like a Roland product that does the same thing that I saw a while back...

Jun 17, 2002 at 7:50 PM Post #11 of 12
But that unit only has optical digital output, the DI/O needs coax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back