USB/DAC with no amp feature?
Jul 18, 2011 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

IhateBEATS

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!

Was wondering what usb/dacs you would recommend without a built in amp. I want my setup to be laptop>usb/dac >amp>headphones. I've settled on the little dot MkIII for the amp, so that piece of information may have some bearing on your suggestions. Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Jul 18, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 11
I'm using the arcam rDac and I can highly recommend it. I also have the little dot mkIII, so that piece of information may have some bearing on your decision. 
k701smile.gif

Jul 18, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #4 of 11
HK, will using the Dac_1 help in the synergy of the two instruments? Is synergy even a noticeable thing? I've been reading about it in these forums.

Dom, i forgot to mention my budget is 250 :[ but that rDAC looks SWEET. Maybe in the future, i'll just have to pick one up seeing as it works well with the MKIII 
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
HK, will using the Dac_1 help in the synergy of the two instruments? Is synergy even a noticeable thing? I've been reading about it in these forums.

Dom, i forgot to mention my budget is 250 :[ but that rDAC looks SWEET. Maybe in the future, i'll just have to pick one up seeing as it works well with the MKIII 
biggrin.gif

Well, I have a Little Dot CD_I running into my DAC_I which is plugged into my Little Dot MK IV SE amp...I'd say yes, they will complement each other.
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #7 of 11
The HRT Music Streamers are nice little units. I've got the MS II and it works really well and sounds great for the price. It needs its own dedicated USB channel (no hubs) for high bit-rate files which may be an issue depending upon the laptop setup. The only other consideration with them is that the USB input is at the opposite end of the chassis from the RCA outputs. This made it a bit of a pain to position for me at first.

Oh, and you won't be able to stack anything on it, but it's so small you can put it out of the way - mine is stuck to the underside of the desk with velcro.

Jul 20, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
Well, I have a Little Dot CD_I running into my DAC_I which is plugged into my Little Dot MK IV SE amp...I'd say yes, they will complement each other.
biggrin.gif

What a great setup that must be! I'm quite envious at this point 
tongue.gif
. I'd like to ask you one more question HK if you dont mind. Assuming you've previously had or auditioned the MKIII, do you feel the extra cost of the MKIV, let alone the SE edition, is justified? Thanks again for the help 
beyersmile.png

Quote:
Oh, and you won't be able to stack anything on it, but it's so small you can put it out of the way - mine is stuck to the underside of the desk with velcro.

I just searched the forums on this little number and even though it is a great dac, being capable of 24/96 and all, its size and inability to be stacked puts it out of the running. I'm usually not one to choose based on aesthetics, especially when it comes to hi-fi, but the little dot dac_1 and mkIII just seems so right together 
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
What a great setup that must be! I'm quite envious at this point 
tongue.gif
. I'd like to ask you one more question HK if you dont mind. Assuming you've previously had or auditioned the MKIII, do you feel the extra cost of the MKIV, let alone the SE edition, is justified? Thanks again for the help 
beyersmile.png

I've never owned the MK III.  I chose the MK IV SE really because I liked all the upgrades to the tubes, RCA connectors, and headphone jack.  I really don't know how much of an improvement the MK IV is over the MK III.  I will say that there are a lot of happy MK III owners in this forum as well as MK IV. 
biggrin.gif

But you are right, they do stack very well.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back