USB DAC to go from iMac to Darkvoice.

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by LasherV, Dec 10, 2017.
  1. LasherV
    I'm looking for a stand alone DAC, one that is known to play nice with Tubes. I just ordered the Darkvoice and will be using it with my Monolith M1060's. I've also signed up for the Massdrop to get the Sennheiser HD6xx's. I was looking at the SMSL Sanskrit, but want to get your opinions before I pull the trigger. Thanks in Advance for all the help :)

2. NA Blur
    I like the Pro-Ject Box S better than SMSL's DACs. I find the filters on SMSL DACs to really alter the sound. They tend to sound bright too.

The Box E DAC has better extension and more clarity, buy it does not have USB input and it feels really poorly made. Mine has lasted a long time tho. The Box S is beefier and has USB input, but it's $200'ish.

I would suggest the Schiit Modi 2 Uber, but I have had bad luck with their USB drivers.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  3. Oscar-HiFi
    JDS Labs OL DAC has a USB only version for $99, not going to find better for that price in my honest opinion :D

Plug it in and it works, no hassle.

NA Blur likes this.
  4. LasherV
    Thank You 4 the responses gentlemen. Of these 3, OL DAC, Box S, or Modi 2. Which one is considered the most musical?

5. Oscar-HiFi
    Well the OL-DAC is meant to be neutral, and to my ears is very transparent but not bright or harsh, it still has a very slight smoothness to it.

6. LasherV
    TY Oscar. After doing some further reading, I took your advice and purchased the OL DAC. Love it! Totally accurate, and dead quiet. Would recommend it to anyone.

7. ostewart