1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

USB DAC recommendation

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by codeninja, Aug 9, 2011.
First

Back
1 2
Next

Last
  1. T.F.O.A
    uh don't know anything about the e9i, isn't the i for ipod?

2. lee730

Quote:

You can buy a separate DAC to use with the E9 amp. The E7 is DAC/Amp. The amp honestly isn't that great, nor is the DAC but for the price it is half decent. The E7 can also dock into the E9. I use  the DACport LX with my E9 amp and its a great combination.

3. lee730

Quote:

The E9i amp will also allow you to dock the ipod into it plus the E7 and the upcoming E15 and E17 dac/amp combos. The older E9 amp won't allow you to connect the ipod/iphone from its doc but you could still connect an ipod to it via the line line in the back of the amp.

4. Brooko Contributor

Quote:

Nope - the E9i's dock is incompatible with E7, E15 and E17.  If you're going to connect them, it would have to be via line in - not the dock.  the dock on the E9i is ONLY for an i-device. 

BTW - I notice you quite often saying how inferior the E7 DAC is.  I know you had one - and obviously consider the Dacport you have is better.  More power to you - I've nevver heard the Dacport so I can't comment about it.  Would love to try it.  Don't know whether you've read Nwavguy's report on the E7 - but the DAC actually measures really clean.  I can't provide link because he's banned here.  You can google it though.

IMO the E7's weakness is it's amp - definitely not it's DAC.  OK - if you need higher resolution, it's not going to cut the mustard - limited to redbook.  But it's decent, and very good if you take the value factor into account.

5. lee730

lol sorry if you're taking it offensive. Its in all honesty not a bad dac for its price range. I still own it BTW and am trying to sell it in all honesty. But when compared to more high end DAC's and when using it on the E9 it really is the weakness of the pair. The E9 has quite a bit more potential and the E7 does hold it back. Just as the E7 amp holds it own DAC back as you stated.
    Quote:

6. Brooko Contributor
    Not sure where you got the "offensively" part from.  I reread my post, and there's nothing that indicates it to me.  I was simply stating a difference of opinion and backing it with a link to some measurements.

So we can agree to disagree - on the E7 DAC.  I don't see it as weak.

7. lee730

Quote:

At one time I would have to agree with you. But once you've heard higher end DACs you realize how far behind the E7 is. But its to be expected when you pay a premium for such things. Then again sometimes you can get charged a premium for crap lol. Even my Sflo2's dual DAC put my E7 to shame honestly. Hook the Sflo2 to the E9 and it sounds amazing.

8. codeninja
    Lee730, have you tried dacport LX with iPad? I'm curious if anyone tried the combo especially with the iPad firmware on dacport LX which should eliminate the need for a USB hub.

9. lee730

Quote:

Yes it should. Here's the link to CEntrance's site describing the procedure in order to do so. It does require some sort of camera kit and a usb hub though (the DACport uses a class A amp and use a lot of energy).

http://www.centrance.com/products/dacport/dacport_with_ipad.shtml

10. codeninja
    Any opinion regarding V-DAC vs DACPort?

11. funkmeister
    Dude, it's the internet. Outrageous comments are for the benefit of future generations :wink:

If we stay exclusively within the confines of that budget, I'd go with the HRT Music Streamer II (the II+ was mentioned on page 1, but that's out of your league). For anybody out there with the need to get a USB DAC and Amp for under $150, then I hope you're running a Windows PC (sorry, codeninja, apparantly this is not your thread anymore) because the Creative X-Fi HD with a line-out (RCA to 1/8") to a FiiO E6 looks like a good way to go if you need a touch more juice than the onboard headphone port supplies from the X-Fi.

Quote:

12. Dr. Strangelove
    ^I was about to suggest the same DAC : D

It uses asynch transfer mode which is evidently a positive when it comes to jitter and all that fun stuff... 

13. lee730
    If you're looking at saving money and still getting a decent dac I'd think the music streamer II would be a good deal as well. I almost bought it and cancelled my order because I wanted something more high end so I'd be content and not want to upgrade l8ter. Plus I purchased my DACport LX on the intro sale and saved $50.00 off ($300.00). Was well worth the cost in my opinion and easily drives all my headphones/IEMs. I even have been using it to feed my Logitech Z5500s via my E9 amp. I started noticing my Z5500 were hissing very badly and I think its due to the X-Fi titanium sound card in my computer (its pretty much unusable now since I hear this constant annoying hiss).

14. codeninja
    I wasn't looking for $150 DAC, and my range is rather 300-500... I think I'll try dacport LX as I don't have a patience to wait for vDAC II that no one knows when it's coming but soon.

15. T.F.O.A
    Hey guys, do you think, as it's gonna be my first step to DAC/Amp world, should i go with the audinst mx-1 for $179 or matrix cube $250 ??? was thinking of fostex hp-a3 but, i've decided my budget should be $250. 

First

Back
1 2
Next

Last