usb dac or usb sound card
Nov 30, 2008 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

fox au

New Head-Fier
hey all am looking to find out which would be better for use with my krk speakers goin from my laptop.

currently i have a KingRex UD-01 dac but am not to sure if i should take it back and get something like the m-audio fast track for the headphone out and volume control because i would also like to use my headphones in the night so i dont wake the rest of the family with the speakers

also any other dacs or sound card u could recommend would be very helpfull my budget for this is $200 AUD

thanks

Nov 30, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 3
I'm pretty new to these forums, but I've only heard good things about the E-MU 0404 and Zero DAC here, which I think are ~$150. I think both have decent headphone amps built in as well.

Nov 30, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 3
I'm new here as well, and it sounds like you and I are in a very similar situation. I've pretty much narrowed it down to three options.

- E-MU 0404 (have some reservations, see my new thread above) One issue with this device is although many use it as an external soundcard/DAC/headphone amp, its' primary focus appears to be geared towards home/demo recording.
- Zero DAC Looks solid, but seems to require a couple of upgrades to truly reach its' potential, and the poster that does all of the worthwhile upgrades appears to recently be having reliability issues.
- Creative X-Fi 5.1 USB card. Supposedly has decent dac (at least for a consumer device), has an optical out and, while not a dedicated headphone amp, at least has a headphone out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back