Usb DAC on macbook air won't go above 16bit/48khz
Dec 24, 2013 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

nissen22

New Head-Fier
When I connect my usb DAC to my macbook air, I can't put the settings above 16bit/48khz. The DAC says it supports 24bit/192khz via usb. Am I doing something wrong? Do I have to install a driver or something? I bought the mac this summer, so I am guessing it is the newest version.

Dec 24, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 21
Go to Utilities > Midi Player and change the settings there.

Or get something like Audirvana which will automatically set the output to match the audio file.

Dec 25, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #3 of 21
Go to Utilities > Midi Player and change the settings there.

Or get something like Audirvana which will automatically set the output to match the audio file.

The midi settings won't go above 16bit/48khz. I wish I could upload a screenshot, but oh well.

I tried Audirvana, but that won't go above 16bit/48khz either. Is there a technical limitation with the usb output on macbook air?

Dec 25, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #4 of 21
At the risk of asking an obvious question - are you selecting the chosen DAC and then trying to change the MIDI settings?   It should go up to whatever the DAC can handle.  

I just checked the MIDI of my 2-year old Macbook Air and i can set it to 24/96 with the default output, so you definitely shouldnt be limited to 16/48 on yours.

Try a different USB cable as well, I suppose.

Dec 25, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #5 of 21
  At the risk of asking an obvious question - are you selecting the chosen DAC and then trying to change the MIDI settings?   It should go up to whatever the DAC can handle.  

I just checked the MIDI of my 2-year old Macbook Air and i can set it to 24/96 with the default output, so you definitely shouldnt be limited to 16/48 on yours.

Try a different USB cable as well, I suppose.

Yes, I am. The dac says it can go all the way to 24bit/192khz. I really don't understand what the problem is here.

Dec 25, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 21
I'm not an Apple guy, but I think whether you need a driver is dependent on the specific DAC. Some USB devices are "driverless" (which really means the driver either already exists in the OS or is resident in the DAC firmware) and some are not. What is the specific brand/model of the DAC?

Dec 25, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #8 of 21
I can't find any good enough internal shots, but it could be that the USB input doesn't support over 16/48. If you can open the case and read the name and numbers on the USB receiver I can answer definitively. 

Dec 26, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #9 of 21
Well, I gotta say, that DA2V2 has pretty much the most useless user's manual I have ever seen.

Use of digital audio connection
Your Argon DA2 has 3 digital inputs
- Optical digital
- Optical digital
- USB audio digital
The Optical digital connections are typically used for; newer TV’s, hi-fi products such as CD player, DVD players, Digital tuners
(like Argon iNet6+). Take a look at the back side of your audio source product and see what kind of digital output it has.
Notice; when using Optical cables, remember to remove the small plastic protection from each end of the optical cable.
Use of digital audio connection (USB Audio)
Your Argon DA2 is uniquely equipped with a USB Audio Digital input
A USB Audio Digital input means that you can connect a PC and directly play digital audio content from the PC.
Conversion of the signal from digital to analogue would normally happen in the PC, but often the D/A conversion quality in PC’s
are of poor standard.
DA2 has high quality build in D/A converters that converts the signal in the DA2 with up till 24bit/192Khz on all digital inputs and
by that ensures you optimal sound quality when using USB digital audio.
What can you connect to USB AUDIO input?
USB digital audio input is shown on page 5 on the back panel description.
Your Argon DA2 is using a USB type B plug (similar to what many Printers use)
USB AUDIO is primarily intended for playback from a PC.
All PC’s have USB AUDIO out.
Connection will in most cases be a standard flat USB plug in the PC end and a USB type B plug for the DA2
Other audio source products might also have USB AUDIO out. Refer to your audio source manual about this issue.
Notice that Apple iPod, iPhone etc, are not supported for USB AUDIO on DA2.
If you want to know more about USB and USB AUDIO you can check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB
Notice: If DA2 is connected with a Argon iNet6+ they have to be connected only by Optical digital out/in.
If iNet6+ is connected to DA2 via analogue RCA the volume function on the remote will not work properly

That's pretty impressive, and entire page of words that actually provides zero useful information. Nice work Argon Audio... :rolleyes:

Dec 26, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #10 of 21
  Yes, I am. The dac says it can go all the way to 24bit/192khz. I really don't understand what the problem is here.

Many DACs have 24/192 limited to SPDIF inputs and USB is lower - but you did say that this DAC takes 24/192 inputs, so i am at a bit of a loss.

Try with another machine, if possible?

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #12 of 21
Well, I gotta say, that DA2V2 has pretty much the most useless user's manual I have ever seen.

That's pretty impressive, and entire page of words that actually provides zero useful information. Nice work Argon Audio...
rolleyes.gif

But it does say it supports up to 24bit/192khz with usb, right? :p

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #14 of 21
  Did anyone figure this out?  I'm having the same problem with a WA7 on a 2007 macpro.

The WA7 definitely does up to 24/192, BUT I suspect either the hardware or software on your machine is too old for it, most likely the latter. What OS are you running?

Jun 20, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #15 of 21
Hi all,

New Macbook Air 2014 user here. Been trying to get my Schiit Modi to link with the Air via USB but the Air can't seem to detect the DAC. Am using an Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable - is there something wrong that I'm doing? Or the Air doesn't support USB digital out?

Appreciate all and any advice, please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back