USB DAC need recommendations
Sep 17, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #16 of 63
I'm happy with the EMU 0202. I have compared it to the 0404 and the only area its lacking in the SQ department IMO is there isnt as much juice/power as the 0404. But this gives an excellent excuse to buy a dedicated headphone amp :p

Its compact, much cheaper, doesnt have inputs and outputs all over the place and sounds great with my 650's

Sep 17, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #17 of 63
Just a note on jonnyrockets hint at that second eBay DAC:
it's a rather basic PCM2702-based circuit, like the Alien DAC, with the added bonus of an integrated toroid transformer. And the discrete +/-12v regulator looks quite basic - dunno how good it's ripple rejection specs are.

The first one mentioned is most likely also based on the PCM2702, especially if you take into account it's secondary function as a USB to SPDIF converter - a task the PCM2702 was made for, either serving as low-cost usb dac or just a usb to spdif converter
edit: d'oh, it's a c-media cm108 chip in it. should read more carefully
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #19 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiofil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
May I throw in the new Monica 2 USB ?
smily_headphones1.gif

It is an astonishing little DAC that makes sweet music.

Thats what I'm using atm, and it is indeed amazing, but you have to put it together. (case, etc)

Sep 20, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #21 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by n4k33n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats what I'm using atm, and it is indeed amazing, but you have to put it together. (case, etc)

...but MisterX made yours, no?

Sep 20, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #23 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by koto-in /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...but MisterX made yours, no?

Yup.

Sep 20, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #24 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by zillac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no idea how to do case work : |

It's simple really.
You can use anything from Hammond casing to jewelery boxes (i use one
smily_headphones1.gif
).
Need to drill for RCA sockets, power supply socket and the USB one.
Get the proper measurements, drill carefully, finish the surfaces to avoid rough edges and you're there. No rocket science here.
The soldering part is as basic as it gets.
All assembled Monica's come with power supply wiring already soldered onto the board. All you need to do with it is to take care of the other end - the socket - 2 joints and that's it.
For the analog output you need to solder 4 wires (left/right signal/ground).
Yeo has some explanatory pictures with the parts' stuffing and that can help you sort out which wire goes where. The usual order from 1 to 4 is: right/ground/ground/left.
This is where you really need to be careful - it's unlikely to damage anything beyond repair but it can get frustrating if you mix up the wiring (no music for you :p).
After all this is done fit some screws to the board and casing to make sure nobody goes anywhere, connect your cables, burn it in for a couple of days and enjoy the music!
smily_headphones1.gif

She's worth it.

Sep 20, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #26 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really really want to but I'm scared off
frown.gif
I've never done any DIY, I've never soldered anything, and I feel like I would completely ruin everything.

Growing is painful, but it takes you to places you've never been.

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #27 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by zillac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Getting a PCM2707+CPM1798 DAC

My DAC arrived. It's twice as large as my laptop and weighs about 5Kg..

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #28 of 63
It's DAC day I believe !.

My monica 2 usb (naked) arrived today and after soldering some connections I discovered I had no USB cable ... So got my mountain bike and had a nice 30 minute run to the DIY store and got my 7 buck 5 meter long usb cable.

Hooked it up and WOW
smily_headphones1.gif
Black background, Warm full transparant smooth the whole shabang is here
biggrin.gif

Happy , and can't wait for it to burn in!

I also have some obbligato PIO caps coming for the outputs ( should make it more 3D sounding )

Oct 3, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #29 of 63
Can't believe how good this sounds! I had a Bolder modded squeezebox 2 before, but never heard my mp3's sound so Analog ( FLAC to BTW
wink.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #30 of 63
That Monica 2 sounds good.

Atm I have a Beresford TC-7510 MkIII DAC which everyone seems to say is very good, but it doesn't seem to sound as good as it should to me.

I think that this is because its coming from the TOS Link port of my Audigy 2 ZS, so it's maybe getting some of the 'bad' sound from the audigy 2 zs. I am not sure about this, but I think that is it.

This could probably be solved with a USB DAC... That way it would bypass the sound-card wouldn't it?

Maybe what I've just said is a load of garbage. Anyway, Is there anyone around who could build a Monica 2 for me? I'd probably screw it up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back