USB DAC glitches in Vista
Mar 7, 2007 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ttol

100+ Head-Fier
Is anyone else having issues with Vista and USB audio devices? I have a Stello DA100 DAC and use foobar for playback. After listening a while the playback starts to glitch and I get a fairly annoying pop/crackle maybe once a minute or so.

This box has 2GB RAM and an experience rating of 5.1 (CPU being the slowest) so it shouldn't be a system resource thing.

Also the same setup works in XP without any annoying glitches, no matter if I'm defragging and encoding a movie or two at the same time..

Mar 7, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #2 of 17
Ok, looks like I was wrong. The glitches show up even when I run audio through X-Fi. Causing them seems to take more effort, though. Defragging disks seemed to bring them up nicely. Same mouse lag/jump happens in this case too.

Mar 7, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 17
vista has glitches with everything man...

i say "upgrade" back to XP and wait a year for the d@mn thing to be properly stable

Mar 7, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 17
Get a Mac, no problems here with USB devices
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 17
While it may not be the worst idea to check PCI INT# routing on your mo/bo, you may want to wait for SP1 indeed. Since when have M$ operating systems been usable out of the box? XP also needed one service pack, Win2k two. (Things becoming worse with updates is a more recent phenomenon, think Win2k service rollup or Server2k3 SP1.)

Mar 7, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 17
Interestingly enough I've had a few people mention that updating their video drivers solved the problem. I believe they said they had to go to the actual web site to get the latest video drivers (in this example, ATI drivers) and install them before the issue with the sound popping went away.

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...d-answers.aspx

I highly suggest everyone interested in Music and Movies on their computer to read this article.

Mar 8, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #9 of 17
Ah, the usual posts advising to stay away from MS but offering no real help and not addressing the original questions. Just the obligatory Apple and Linux fan bashing of "M$" because it's, uh, cool to do so.

There's nothing wrong with using Vista. Sure it has issues - what OS doesn't? OP, what output mode are you using with Foobar - KS, ASIO, Wave Out, DirectSound? I've found that on my system, which doesn't have audio with native ASIO, Wave Out provides much less glitchy audio output with my TBH USB amp/DAC than DirectSound does.

Mar 8, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, the usual posts advising to stay away from MS but offering no real help and not addressing the original questions. Just the obligatory Apple and Linux fan bashing of "M$" because it's, uh, cool to do so.

There's nothing wrong with using Vista. Sure it has issues - what OS doesn't? OP, what output mode are you using with Foobar - KS, ASIO, Wave Out, DirectSound? I've found that on my system, which doesn't have audio with native ASIO, Wave Out provides much less glitchy audio output with my TBH USB amp/DAC than DirectSound does.

While I agree to a fault that I spread the Apple OS gospel seems that based on all different audio apps available to you to try on Vista to see "what works" is more of a hindrance to you. After years of tinkering with MS, I opted to actually listen to music.

Mar 8, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #11 of 17
I love Windows XP and I hate Mac and just started using Linux for my computer science stuff, but Vista is just plain bad. It's got a while before I would recommend it to anyone because it's so hard to get anything working if at all.

Mar 8, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #12 of 17
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'm running with all the latest drivers and I always get drivers directly from nvidia/amd/etc. instead of relying on windows update.

Stello doesn't need any special drivers, it runs on the default usb audio driver that comes with Vista/XP.

Since the same glitch happens in wmp and also when bypassing the DAC completely using X-Fi, it doesn't seem to be anything directly related to the DAC or X-fi.

Mar 8, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I agree to a fault that I spread the Apple OS gospel seems that based on all different audio apps available to you to try on Vista to see "what works" is more of a hindrance to you. After years of tinkering with MS, I opted to actually listen to music.

Funny, I'm listening to music right now on my HP laptop running Vista Premium and J. River Media Center streaming FLAC files from an external USB HD. Sounds lovely! I didn't have to tinker too much, unlike Linux, and I got this machine for $700 - a pricepoint Apple has no familiarity with. The point is that ALL of them - MS, Apple, Sun Microsystems, Linux, etc. - have issues. Harping on one manufacturer/OS over the other doesn't solve problems, it only sparks needless discussion that usually descends into a fanboy shouting match.

Mar 8, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love Windows XP and I hate Mac and just started using Linux for my computer science stuff, but Vista is just plain bad. It's got a while before I would recommend it to anyone because it's so hard to get anything working if at all.

Not my experience at all. Have you actually used Vista? I've got two computers running it and have had almost ZERO issues with apps or hardware on either of them. One's a new HP laptop and the other a 2 year old Dell Dimension. I'd hardly call it "just plain bad". IMO it's a big improvement over XP and the issues that ARE there will get ironed out quickly.

Mar 8, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #15 of 17
looks like fanboys from every corner, myself not excluded, i'm not a computer nerd, i don't know what drivers are, i dont care, i don't know what asio or music direct or pci int# is, sounds like a bunch of (my ****'s not working) i use all sorts of sound and video and graphics apps all day long, never had a problem with anything (except when running bootcamp), sorry for being a fanboy, and i'm not really, i think they're are many things that ms is better at, like when i have to switch over to them for using the rapid prototyper at school, or when i have to use inventor.

it's just great that my laptop runs both.

it just seems that the majority of help threads in this section are in another language, except the few threads dedicated to understanding the macs optical/anolouge dual output.

maybe if you've got vista figured out you can help this guy,, and you can very easily get a mac for 700 bucks, so i don't know what your talking about with that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back