USB DAC for Sennheiser HD 598: AQ Dragonfly v1.2, HRT microStreamer, Arcam rPAC or Meridian Explorer ?
Jun 28, 2014 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

periofab

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
I'd like to improve my listening experience by getting a DAC, into which I'd plug my Senn HD 598. I've read a lot of threads, opinions on this site, and set my mind on 4 options, all of them USB DACs, they will be more convenient for my use right now (listening on my computer, lossless files): AQ Dragonfly v1.2, HRT microStreamer (my preference so far), Arcam rPAC or Meridian Explorer. Which one do you think would be a better choice for me, pairing well with the HD 598 ? No price consideration, just the sound, for those who already tested these devices ! Thanks for your answers and advices !

Jun 30, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 8
I use the microStreamer with the HD598 and think it is very good.  Haven't heard the other options.  Since I use mine with a laptop, I also purchased a 6' cable with mini-jack and I don't regret it.
I lack the vocabulary to describe the sound in detail however I'll mention that with this setup I can easily tell the difference between 320K and lossless files. I don't have any HiDef files.
Good luck. You probably can't go wrong no matter which you select.

Jun 30, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for your answer Charles ! Indeed the microStreamer has my preference right now. Nevertheless, in my country, I can get the Explorer or the rPAC for the very same price (I think both of them are usually more expensive elsewhere), that's why I'd like to have your opinion on this, for those who've heard these other options ! Thanks again !

Jul 3, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #4 of 8
I haven't heard those specific DAC's, but I do own the HRT musicstreamer II+ and recently upgraded to the HRT musicstreamer HD.

I can say that, both these DACs are amazing with my K702 so I have no doubt the microstreamer will be any different. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 They are great from all the rave reviews I have read. :)

Jul 3, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #5 of 8
  I haven't heard those specific DAC's, but I do own the HRT musicstreamer II+ and recently upgraded to the HRT musicstreamer HD.

I can say that, both these DACs are amazing with my K702 so I have no doubt the microstreamer will be any different. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 They are great from all the rave reviews I have read. :)

Thanks for your contribution !

Jul 3, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #6 of 8
I auditioned the rPac with 598s a while back when I was looking for an inexpensive desktop setup for work. While I love the 598s, they sounded way terrible with the rPac -- flabby, loose all over from about 500Hz down and close to zero articulation. I was kinda let down because I really wanted to like the rPac, but it just didn't work well with the 598. I urge you to go audition your selections so you don't end up with buyer's remorse.

Jul 3, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 8
  I auditioned the rPac with 598s a while back when I was looking for an inexpensive desktop setup for work. While I love the 598s, they sounded way terrible with the rPac -- flabby, loose all over from about 500Hz down and close to zero articulation. I was kinda let down because I really wanted to like the rPac, but it just didn't work well with the 598. I urge you to go audition your selections so you don't end up with buyer's remorse.

That's some important information, actually the rPAC seemed the least interesting of those options with the HD 598 from the beginning to me, compared to the other ones. Thanks for your input !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back