USB DAC for PC (Win 10) + Bluetooth w/ LDAC transmitter
Sep 23, 2018 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 168

radekhulan

New Head-Fier
I've purchased Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones, and they sound great with my Android Phone (connected via Bluetooth with LDAC). On PC, I am using Creative W2 Bluetooth dongle, which supports only aptX, and the sound is a little bit dull.

What would be the best solution (ideally below US$ 200, but US$ 300 is acceptable) for USB DAC to Bluetooth w/ LDAC for PC dongle / card? Or, optical / Toslink to Bluetooth w/ LDAC?

I have found Toslink to Bluetooth w/ aptX HD adapter, but none with LDAC support.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #2 of 168
What you can try:
install a DLNA enable media player on your Android e.q. Bubble UPnP
This will connect to the PC using DLNA (Windows Media Sharing=DLNA)
Now you have a wireless connection between your phone and your PC sending lossless audio to the phone
Connect the phone to the headphone as you have done already using LDAC

Jan 5, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 168
I've been looking for months and I haven't found any USB dongle for Windows that supports LDAC or AptX HD. It's frustrating since I haven't found anything that supports more than AptX. AptXHD would also be acceptable to me. You would think Sony might put in the money and development time to do this, as it would expand the use of the LDAC codec significantly.

I have the Sony WM3 and the Earstudio ES100 bluetooth adapter, both of which sound SO GOOD when using LDAC.

Luckily the ES100's app will show what codec is playing, even when it's connected to another device (paired to two devices, your phone and the secondary device). For instance I was able to confirm that the NVidia Shield AndroidTV box does use LDAC when you have connected to an LDAC capable device. This is a really nice upgrade to wireless TV connections and games.

Maybe in about 6 months something will come out that supports it.

Jan 29, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 168
Hi @radekhulan,
Try something like the Shanling M0 as it has LDAC support, can be used as a DAC &/or transport so it should work for your needs.
I've looked into this and people say it can't act as a bluetooth source when in USB DAC mode, so no, sadly that's not an option.

I've started looking for LDAC capable bluetooth dongle since May 2018 when I preordered Mobius. Sony's 1000s was already on the market for some time at this point. Soon it'll be a year since then, and as I understand - still no LDAC dongles. Shame.

Feb 6, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 168
I might be missing something here - but shouldn't this be purely software? I mean as long as the Bluetooth device (source) can support the bandwidth required, the PC should be able to handle the codec stuff?!? (Of course this requires software - that sony might not have made (although they definitely should! :wink:)

Feb 6, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #7 of 168
I might be missing something here - but shouldn't this be purely software? I mean as long as the Bluetooth device (source) can support the bandwidth required, the PC should be able to handle the codec stuff?!? (Of course this requires software - that sony might not have made (although they definitely should! :wink:)

This issue is that Microsoft has to build in LDAC and AptX support for Windows 10, which it hasn't done and there are no stated plans to do so. Or a third party would have to build it, and that is very unlikely unless it's someone like Sony who owns LDAC.

Feb 6, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 168
This issue is that Microsoft has to build in LDAC and AptX support for Windows 10, which it hasn't done and there are no stated plans to do so. Or a third party would have to build it, and that is very unlikely unless it's someone like Sony who owns LDAC.

Well, one should think it was in Sony's interest to have their codec supported by windows: As it's reputedly better than Apt-X, it would give them an advantage over competitive brands... But my LDAC compatible cans have never met a LDAC compatible source!

It's my impression that both LDAC and AptX(hd) is natively included in Android 8 (Oreo). At least programmed in - I'm unsure if Sony/Qualcom still require license fees from manufacturers (in which case we're back to the common thing where AptX is often missing - and users "of course" can't buy an upgrade/license...)
But in any case, the sole fact that Sony/Qualcom has seemingly allowed it to be put into Android without hardware requirements (other than naturally a compatible Bluetooth version) at least gives some hope for the future of Bluetooth audio... (The standard A2DP codec is hard to be impressed/satisfied with)

Feb 6, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 168
Google Pixel phones rock with LDAC support :) You would think that Sony would see this a necessary way to support their ecosystem. You would even think Microsoft would see this as a way to promote the quality experience they represent and further differentiate themselves from Apple.

I have noticed a disturbing trend the last few months. Most wireless headphones specs have removed the codecs supported or buried it much deeper in their materials. I suspect they think that talk of codecs just confuse consumers, or that they will be disappointed with their product when they find out that their iPhone won't support them or sound their best.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #10 of 168
Google Pixel phones rock with LDAC support :) You would think that Sony would see this a necessary way to support their ecosystem. You would even think Microsoft would see this as a way to promote the quality experience they represent and further differentiate themselves from Apple.

Agree!
Unfortunately, it seems our logic is not shared by the big companies... :-O

I have noticed a disturbing trend the last few months. Most wireless headphones specs have removed the codecs supported or buried it much deeper in their materials. I suspect they think that talk of codecs just confuse consumers, or that they will be disappointed with their product when they find out that their iPhone won't support them or sound their best.

It's not a new thing. When I tried to find a phone with AptX support a couple of years ago it was a pain to find that information. Often the information was only found as rumours in foras and in unofficial specs. That it's so hard to find actual codec information in (at least (pre) 6.0) Android did not make things better: Otherwise users could probably be pursuaded into checking. But it's VERY puzzling to me that the phone manufacturers will spend money on a AptX licence and then NOT advertise it (or even put it in the specs)?!? Marketing is indeed a strange world to me...

Note: I ended up with a Motorola phone whose screen died (void violence) after <2month (a small crack in the LCD; not the front Gorilla Glass it's glued to. Unless they messed up their Young's modulus / design, that should not be possible...). Lenovo/Motorola refused to recognize it as a production or design error - and in combination with Lenovo's policy to NOT update Android on their devices (not even while they are still manufacturing them!) they lost me as a customer (we have multiple Lenovo P2 phones and some tablets)! I wonder if the Google Pixel is (still) produced by Motorola? :-O

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #11 of 168
I got a lovely surprise when my LG V20 upgraded to Oreo. I got LDAC on top of the already wonderful APT'X-HD and the glorious, lovely headphone jack that natively supports 24\192. I've got 2 devices that support LDAC already. The ES100 is the star. Balanced out at 24\96 with any 2.5mm plug and the same for any wired 3.5mm. There is a $99 Sony headphone on Amazon right now that supports LDAC. I've also the got RHA ProStereo H2 that supports LDAC as well. All Oreo devices now support LDAC. As for Windows, we just need a USB DAC and driver to support LDAC. I don't think we will get it built-in, any time soon.

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #13 of 168
I agree about the ES100 it's amazing for the price, and the quality EQ let's me adjust just about any headphones sound to what I can love. I've been using the Sony WM3 almost exclusively lately though, as I think that Sony did a great job of mating the amp to the drivers and the noise cancelling is perfect at the gym or commuting.

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #14 of 168
What I really want though is a USB dongle that I can plug into windows and output LDAC. That doesn't exist either as far as I can see.

Feb 6, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #15 of 168
Theoretically, you might be able to use an android oreo phone, connected to a pc, via USB, and playing music through DLNA. Then transmitting via the phone's bluetooth and receiving the music through a LDAC headphone. . The only real trick would be doing this with no transcoding of 24\96.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back