USB DAC for $150-200 price range?
Oct 22, 2008 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Daal

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I am going to be pairing a USB DAC with the Audioengine A5 speakers. I chose a DAC because of the compatibility plug n play options, also you get better sound.

I am going to be listening to music only as my computer sucks to play games with.

Oct 22, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #2 of 18
Oct 22, 2008 at 10:00 AM Post #3 of 18
$270 doesn't sound too bad, though I've always felt that DACs were generally very over priced. Yes, there are exotic implementations that are costly, but for the most part aren't we just placing a single chip in the signal stream? Forgive my ignorance- I'm probably guilty of over simplifying things.

As far as recommendations, I recall that the Zhaolu DACs were quite well received, but I'm not sure they had USB... I think it was on option on some of them. They also used a TG-Link on a later implementation, which was supposed to be vastly better than USB and used exclusively for computer connections.

Oct 22, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 18
Get an EMU 0404 and use just as DAC. Has a high end AKM DAC and is under $200.0. You are rigth about DAC's being way overpriced. When they buy the DAC chips in bulk they don't cost much at all. Something like five bucks per chip. That's five bucks for the DAC chip and $995.00 for the other stuff that goes into it. Good deal, eh?

Oct 22, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #6 of 18
Oct 22, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 18
Woopsie, double post

Oct 22, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get an EMU 0404 and use just as DAC. Has a high end AKM DAC and is under $200.0. You are rigth about DAC's being way overpriced. When they buy the DAC chips in bulk they don't cost much at all. Something like five bucks per chip. That's five bucks for the DAC chip and $995.00 for the other stuff that goes into it. Good deal, eh?

Yes. Let's open the dac boxes and discard all that other useless junk they put inside around the chip! Surely it is there for no purpose.

Oct 23, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #9 of 18
So should I go with the emu 0404? For the price range I am looking for 150-200....

I mean I am surprised people aren't suggesting "The USB DAC" for this price range.

Oct 23, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

That's sort of a bizarre argument.

It's like saying that a $20,000 car is overpriced because the engine only costs $2,000... or whatever.

Oct 23, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #11 of 18
Cars are way overpriced. Where you born yesterday or something? My only point is that the actual DAC chip is quite cheap and yet we all make a big deal about different DAC chips. It ain't all that big of a deal. The DAC in my Onkyo sounds just as good as the DAC in my EMU.

Oct 24, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #12 of 18
Well if there were not about 100 DAC's in your price range you might get the "the" DAC.

How are your solder skills ???

There are some really nice DIY DAC's in your price range.

The EMU is a great DAC for the money...All kinds of whistles and bells.

The Fubar II is a nice entry level DAC...There are just endless options...And opinion's.

And we all know about all that business.

It is pretty much a given that DAC's are certainly a better choice than just about any PCI sound card out there.

Search this section and you will get more information than you could possible want.

There is a DAC in your price range that will meet your needs...Just gotta read and figure out what those needs are.

Oct 24, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Cars are way overpriced. Where you born yesterday or something? My only point is that the actual DAC chip is quite cheap and yet we all make a big deal about different DAC chips. It ain't all that big of a deal. The DAC in my Onkyo sounds just as good as the DAC in my EMU.

How about the DAC in your car then?

Oct 25, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #15 of 18
I use a Creative Zen Stone mp3 player in my car. Does that count? It is ok but a car is such a noisy environment for music listening that it doesn't really matter if it is good or not.

My Onkyo DAC doesn't sound the same as the EMU 0404 DAC but it is matter of taste and not quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back