USB DAC/audio interface for iMac. Powered monitors.
Oct 6, 2009 at 6:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Atomicfission92

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

I just purchased a pair of BX5A Deluxe monitors and I want to get a USB preamp or DAC to supply the audio to them. They support Balanced TRS connectors on each monitor.

I just don't know what to get. I am not really going to be doing any recordings but I want something that sounds better then the iMacs stock sound card.

I guess it can be either USB or Firewire. Cause that doesn't really make a difference.

I was looking at the E-Mu Tracker Pre or the 0202. But if I could spend less then that I would be happy. Just don't want to pay for all those inputs that I won't use.

Now the monitors are powered. So I don't know if that makes a difference.

Oct 19, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 3
This is almost exactly the setup that I am thinking about. I am going back and forth on the BX5a Deluxes and the Yamaha HS50M. I have an active powered subwoofer (without line outputs), so I am favoring the HS50M as it has a LF switch for 80 and 100hz.

I don't want to pay for all those outputs either! Would love to hear what you decided on!

Oct 20, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #3 of 3
I am really happy with my new Cambridge Audio Dacmagic. I run it into Adam A5 powered monitors and a sub7 subwoofer. Balanced outputs and 2 switchable optical inputs (good for streaming with the Airport Express), plus USB.

Although i have only had it a week or two, I think it at least as good as the firewire interfaced Apogee Duet.

There are 2 very long threads on it in the source forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back