1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

USB cable and Sound Quality

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by rudybagel, Jul 4, 2012.
First

Back
42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51
Next

Last
  1. radiofrog
    Quote:

Awww... no price on this one.  I have GOT to have one of these!  My music is sounding so magnetized right now.

2. uchihaitachi
    Quote:
    "... demagnetizing an LP definitively removed a high-frequency glaze or glare and seemed to enrich the midband... Demagnetizing LPs works. And do not try one of these devices unless you're prepared to buy it."
    --Michael Fremer, Stereophile

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

3. Greenleaf7
    Quote:
    Don't stop there, it's also essential to keep your equipment static and dust free.

http://www.furutech.com/2013/02/02/1794/

4. Steve Eddy
    Quote:

Cry. Definitely, cry.

Fremer's the same reviewer who reviewed some analog cables that used fiber optics, with electro-optical converters on each end first converting from electrical to optical for transmission, and then from optical to electrical at the receiving end.

Of these he wrote that they were "the most significant technological breakthrough I have experienced in my career as an audio reviewer. It is immediately superior in every way."

Now, normally Stereophile doesn't do any measurements on cables, because other than simple resistance, inductance and capacitance, there's really nothing to measure. But because these cables used active devices in them, John did do a suite of measurements on these particular cables. The measurements were so bad, he wrote of them "If this were a review of a conventional product, I would dismiss it as being broken."

Ironically, Fremer used to be a comedian.

se

5. Steve Eddy
    Quote:

I love that oxymoron. The name is "Destat II," but they call it a "static charger."

Having said that though, I will say I don't think there's anything wrong with ionizers (though I'm not sure exactly what the Destat does), especially if you have an analog setup. Properly implemented, they do work.

se

6. uchihaitachi
    Quote:
    So what exactly are the requirements to be a reviewer at Stereophile?

7. xnor
    The crazier the better!

8. Steve Eddy
    Quote:

I'm afraid you'd have to ask John. He's the editor.

se

9. White Lotus
  10. bigshot
    I was skeptical, but when they said that this HDMI cable could serve me breakfast in bed, I was SOLD!

11. White Lotus

12. Greenleaf7
    Quote:
    Thanks for the suggestion, I immediately purchased one to replace my under performing HDMI cable. The quest for audio/ video perfection is far from complete without a audiophile grade power cord such as this.

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-NRG-WEL-Signature-Power/dp/B0055OM9WS/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1370506968&sr=1-5&keywords=audioquest+diamond

More info here:
    http://www.audioquest.com/hdmi/diamond

13. bigshot
    I'll take Birgit Nilsson, Elisabeth Schwartzkopf and Kirstin Flagstad, thankyouverymuch.

14. liamstrain
    robertsong - I notice you don't quote any of the posts from the engineers who have posted since. 

15. Mambosenior

I've heard good Traviatas from a few of these.

anetode likes this.
First

Back
42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51
Next

Last