USB cable and Sound Quality
Jun 5, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #767 of 783
Quote:

Awww... no price on this one.  I have GOT to have one of these!  My music is sounding so magnetized right now.

"... demagnetizing an LP definitively removed a high-frequency glaze or glare and seemed to enrich the midband... Demagnetizing LPs works. And do not try one of these devices unless you're prepared to buy it."[size=10pt]
--Michael Fremer, Stereophile
[/size]

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Jun 5, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #769 of 783
Quote:
"... demagnetizing an LP definitively removed a high-frequency glaze or glare and seemed to enrich the midband... Demagnetizing LPs works. And do not try one of these devices unless you're prepared to buy it."[size=10pt]
--Michael Fremer, Stereophile
[/size]

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Cry. Definitely, cry.

Fremer's the same reviewer who reviewed some analog cables that used fiber optics, with electro-optical converters on each end first converting from electrical to optical for transmission, and then from optical to electrical at the receiving end.

Of these he wrote that they were "the most significant technological breakthrough I have experienced in my career as an audio reviewer. It is immediately superior in every way."

Now, normally Stereophile doesn't do any measurements on cables, because other than simple resistance, inductance and capacitance, there's really nothing to measure. But because these cables used active devices in them, John did do a suite of measurements on these particular cables. The measurements were so bad, he wrote of them "If this were a review of a conventional product, I would dismiss it as being broken."

Ironically, Fremer used to be a comedian.

se

Jun 5, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #770 of 783
Quote:
Don't stop there, it's also essential to keep your equipment static and dust free.

http://www.furutech.com/2013/02/02/1794/

I love that oxymoron. The name is "Destat II," but they call it a "static charger."

Having said that though, I will say I don't think there's anything wrong with ionizers (though I'm not sure exactly what the Destat does), especially if you have an analog setup. Properly implemented, they do work.

se

Jun 5, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #771 of 783
Quote:

I love that oxymoron. The name is "Destat II," but they call it a "static charger."

Having said that though, I will say I don't think there's anything wrong with ionizers (though I'm not sure exactly what the Destat does), especially if you have an analog setup. Properly implemented, they do work.

se

So what exactly are the requirements to be a reviewer at Stereophile?

Jun 5, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #772 of 783
The crazier the better!

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #775 of 783
I was skeptical, but when they said that this HDMI cable could serve me breakfast in bed, I was SOLD!

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #776 of 783
Frankly, I'm a little angry at the sarcastic reviews posted for this HDMI cable. Many people come to Amazon in order to see HONEST opinions about the products they are looking to purchase. It is clear that some of the reviewers have not purchased this item, or are making up stories. I really don't believe that somebody quit their job just to be a delivery person in order to make sure the cable was delivered properly.

Also, several people seem to be making fun of the length of the cable. Yes, 12 meters may seem like an odd length to Americans, but to many people in the world, that may be a very useful length. It just depends upon your culture.

As an audio and videophile myself, I researched many different HDMI cables of various lengths and sought recommendation from industry professionals, some involved with hooking up sound systems for touring musicians. Almost everyone recommended this cable.

After purchasing the cable, I connected it to my ~$100,000 system. This cable literally digitized me into a bit pattern and transported me into a computer world. Armed only with this cable, I had to fight my way to the Master Control Program to gain my freedom. Without this cable, I would have surely died, or still be a slave for the MCP. You can hate. But this cable saved my life.

Jun 6, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #777 of 783
Quote:
Greenleaf, I had quite the chuckle at your post, thank you. Lets not stop there, we might as well look at the improvements that your TV could use, as well.

After all, we want your experience to be a premium one. 

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Coffee-12m-Braided-HDMI/dp/B003CT5KMO/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1345758453&sr=1-9

Thanks for the suggestion, I immediately purchased one to replace my under performing HDMI cable. The quest for audio/ video perfection is far from complete without a audiophile grade power cord such as this.

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-NRG-WEL-Signature-Power/dp/B0055OM9WS/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1370506968&sr=1-5&keywords=audioquest+diamond

More info here:
http://www.audioquest.com/hdmi/diamond

Jun 6, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #778 of 783
I'll take Birgit Nilsson, Elisabeth Schwartzkopf and Kirstin Flagstad, thankyouverymuch.

Jun 6, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #779 of 783
robertsong - I notice you don't quote any of the posts from the engineers who have posted since. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back