USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jan 14, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #4,381 of 6,398
Hello, actually I am looking for a good dongle and I have some questions:

- Would you choose a dongle with mqa for tidal or is this not very Important?

- Is it better to change the volume Control with the Smartphone or with the Dongle? Maybe with the dongle because it is analogue? So Hardware Buttons are Good to have?

- are integrated batteries better oder worse? You don’t need the power of the Smartphone but you have to Look for Full batteries in the Dongle and it is a wear Part.

I only use the Single Ended Output and I can’t decide between ibasso dc03 / dc06 , shanling ua3 and fiio q3s.

I haven’t heard the DC03 but it looks like a good choice.
Nothing but praise for the Questyle M15.

After that a Chord Mojo 2.
It’s more expensive more inputs better sound quality.
It also makes a very good home dac pre amp.
Doesn’t use your phone’s battery.

Just my take.

Jan 14, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #4,383 of 6,398
I use a Smsl D6 as Home Dac. I Heard a lot about the m15. But a Reviewer Wrote that the unbalanced Sound is Not the best and there are no Hardware Buttons.
I would say Cayin RU6. It won't do MQA rendering but when connected to a good source (UAPP, Audirvana) which can do the 1st software unfold, still sounds bliss. You don't need an MQA full decoding DAC IMO. I have the LG V30, V40 which fully decode MQA plus the Zorloo Ztella which renders tge final unfolds; however, prefer the RU6 and Qobuz over Tidal. The RU6 has 3.5 and 4.4 too should you update your cables or IEMs.

Jan 14, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #4,384 of 6,398
I use a Smsl D6 as Home Dac. I Heard a lot about the m15. But a Reviewer Wrote that the unbalanced Sound is Not the best and there are no Hardware Buttons.

True there is no onboard volume control.
I never have an issue with it.
S/E output sounds fine.
All most the same as balanced just slightly less width in the stage.

I had problems running the RU6 from a iPhone.
I think it was trying to draw too much power from the phone??
The volume also muted every now and then when changing.

Another smaller option is the IFI Go Blu.
Plenty of power and a battery.
It can also be use Bluetooth.
Runs 12-14 hours and charges up in about 40 mins.

Maybe look into the Nura adapter that sends lossless Bluetooth to the coming wireless iems.
There will be many Bluetooth lossless iems coming this year.
I think there is only two phones that have Bluetooth 5.3 as of this time.
All new phones will have this soon.

Chord Mojo 2 as I said earlier is a fantastic device and could replace your home dac as well.
It has a battery management system so the battery should last many years.
S/E output only.
Down side it’s expensive.
Saying that can be purchased from Peter Tyson for £399 with a five year warranty.

I know the price difference from a DC03 pro to the Mojo 2 is massive and there is plenty in between.
Both at respective points I don’t think can be beat?

Just my take on things.
What ever you decide I hope you enjoy it.

Jan 14, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #4,385 of 6,398
Hello, actually I am looking for a good dongle and I have some questions:

- Would you choose a dongle with mqa for tidal or is this not very Important?

- Is it better to change the volume Control with the Smartphone or with the Dongle? Maybe with the dongle because it is analogue? So Hardware Buttons are Good to have?

- are integrated batteries better oder worse? You don’t need the power of the Smartphone but you have to Look for Full batteries in the Dongle and it is a wear Part.

I only use the Single Ended Output and I can’t decide between ibasso dc03 / dc06 , shanling ua3 and fiio q3s.
Get the iBasso DC03 Pro.

Jan 15, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #4,386 of 6,398
A Focal Clear is easy to drive and it gets loud enough on the Iphone but it is not a good idea to drive it with single ended with a dongle instead of the smsl d6 & smsl sh-9? the only solution is a balanced aftermarket cable for the balanced inputs of the dongles? You should avoid it to drive it unbalanced with a mobile dongle?

Jan 16, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #4,387 of 6,398
20230116_114308.jpg

All these dongles are enjoyable and each produce a different quality sound. Sorted by personal preference considering various factors involved in using a dongle.

Jan 16, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #4,388 of 6,398
It is interesting how much love the RU6 gets considering its balanced output design is less than optimal. Cayin makes good sounding equipment but it still bugs me how quickly they dropped support for their first two Android units.

My favorite dongle is much bigger than these but it has AKM chips and THX circuitry. It does sport 2.5 and 4.4 balanced plus 3.5 single ended.
FIIO Q3-MQA. I don't use the MQA but this model has advanced USB circuitry that cuts down noise from the phone. And its designed to be iphone compatible. Many units are iphone compatible but not all.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #4,389 of 6,398
Hi all, got a question

I own a op 9pro with a USB c 3.1 otg and I'm thinking to upgrade to other phone. Does the USB 2.0 otg makes a big difference in the power that is delivered to dongles/ USB c dacs? It turns out the phone I'm interested is higher in many specs except the USB c.

Kind regards

Jan 18, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #4,391 of 6,398
Dear friends, here is my opinion on the iBasso DC03 Pro.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ibasso-dc03-pro.26129/review/30021/

TL;DR - Go buy one.
Lovely! Thank you. I purchased it to use with my iPhone but didn't understand, at the time, that the app could not be used with iPhone and the automatic settings and filter are not "neutral" with the iPhone with no chance to change it, or even do it in an android unit since the dongle doesn't have memory proprieties.

Jan 18, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #4,392 of 6,398
Lovely! Thank you. I purchased it to use with my iPhone but didn't understand, at the time, that the app could not be used with iPhone and the automatic settings and filter are not "neutral" with the iPhone with no chance to change it, or even do it in an android unit since the dongle doesn't have memory proprieties.
Thank you for reading.
I don't have an iPhone and can't help further but I am pretty sure that all the changes through the iBasso application are permanently stored in the memory.
I should ask Paul and report back.

Jan 19, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #4,394 of 6,398
TempoTec Sonata HD Ⅱ was a little surprise for me, didn't expect too much. Did want something cheap to use at work when moving about. Read some good impressions from it so had to try.

This packs a good punch and has a very clear and good sound. What surprised me the most is that the battery noise from my phone is not picked up by it, it must have some sort of noise filtering. I have tried many dongles and dac/amps that pick up noise, much more expensive ones also.

Clearly recommend if someone needs a small and good dongle.
tempotec.jpg

Jan 20, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #4,395 of 6,398
I decided to order a second USB C OTG to Lightning cable. My first aftermarket purchase was at least a foot long. It looks like Meenova (spelling?) no longer makes that. Has anybody else found a longer cable that works? I see some cables aimed at drones but it appears those don't support DAC usage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back