USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jul 29, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #2,731 of 6,314
I've got the 96khz version. For a $10 dongle it's still staggering. I'm not sure it can be that different. Andy, did you test yours with anything over 96? Your testing routine suggests that you max out at 44.1khz... Either way, the 96 kHz version is still great bang for a buck.
You have to remember that me and Yannick always use the traditional FLAC at 16/44.1 range. I mentioned that specifically in my Foreword. For my #donglemadness project I opted not to use anything above 48Khz as I doubt I can tell the difference personally. Also the 16/44.1 is still a major CD lossless standard widely used by more than 80% of audio consumers (unless of course FLAC no longer become a normal standard)

Jul 29, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #2,732 of 6,314
You have to remember that me and Yannick always use the traditional FLAC at 16/44.1 range. I mentioned that specifically in my Foreword. For my #donglemadness project I opted not to use anything above 48Khz as I doubt I can tell the difference personally. Also the 16/44.1 is still a major CD lossless standard widely used by more than 80% of audio consumers (unless of course FLAC no longer become a normal standard)
Thanks. That is clear. So do you know if your Zooaux is actually any different, or whether they just misquoted the specs and have corrected?

Jul 29, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #2,733 of 6,314
Thanks. That is clear. So do you know if your Zooaux is actually any different, or whether they just misquoted the specs and have corrected?
I have compared the two of them and for the life of me I almost lost my mind trying to pick up the differences. The factory that manufactured ZOOAUX and Xumee seems to be exceedingly adept at DAC tuning and implementation that they retained the overall sound signature and quality - with just minor differences. CX unit audibly weaker by 5 clicks on loudness. ALC5686 variant to my ears offered even better timbre/dynamics coherence by just a hair (needed ultra resolving cans like FOSTEX T40RP MK3, Etymotic ER4SR and Shure KSE1500 to pick up the differences)

Jul 30, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #2,734 of 6,314
Jul 30, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #2,735 of 6,314
Is there a thread with Lightning to 3.5mm adapter comparisons?

Jul 30, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #2,736 of 6,314
Is there a thread with Lightning to 3.5mm adapter comparisons?
There is lightning to usb c adapter. So you can enjoy with more brand.

Mostly I saw ddhifi and ikko that does lightning out of box.

Jul 31, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #2,737 of 6,314
There is lightning to usb c adapter. So you can enjoy with more brand.

Mostly I saw ddhifi and ikko that does lightning out of box.
That will not bottleneck the sampling rate by using the lightning to USB-C adapter?

Jul 31, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #2,738 of 6,314
Is there a summarized comparison so far on each of these usb dac?
I'm looking for one that'll deliver impactful low end, could use some recommendations.

I've also gave the PEE-51, Questyle M12 and Lotoo Paw S1 a try.
The Lotoo Paw S1 comes in first in delivering an impactful low end.
I think the Questyle M12 is second and the PEE-51 3rd.

It seems like the PEE-51 has a more "relaxed" bass while the Questyle has the speed and slightly more impact. But this is just 15 mins listening to each of these DACs.

Both the PEE-51 and Questyle M12 have slightly more sparkle than the Lotoo Paw S1. But there's something special about the Lotoo Paw S1 when it came to the vocals. It sounded very smooth.

I felt the Questyle M12's separation and placement to be the best, the instruments were placed and were coming from a more précised position than in the Lotoo Paw S1 and PEE-51.

Not sure how the IBASSO DC03 would stack up against these 3 slightly more pricier usb dacs. After reading up some of the IBASSO DC03 posts it seems like it has a slightly V shape sound signature. I've read some rather alarming issues like how some owners had to restart their phone everytime after disconnecting the IBASSO DC03 when attempting to reconnect it back again.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #2,739 of 6,314
That will not bottleneck the sampling rate by using the lightning to USB-C adapter?
No. iOS unlike stock Android, are not constraint by SRC resampling and the adapters don't alter data feed for audio. 85 dongles I have tested so fat and 2/3 of them usable on iOS using a proper adapter like ddHiFi TC28i

Jul 31, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #2,740 of 6,314
Is there a summarized comparison so far on each of these usb dac?
I'm looking for one that'll deliver impactful low end, could use some recommendations.

I've also gave the PEE-51, Questyle M12 and Lotoo Paw S1 a try.
The Lotoo Paw S1 comes in first in delivering an impactful low end.
I think the Questyle M12 is second and the PEE-51 3rd.

It seems like the PEE-51 has a more "relaxed" bass while the Questyle has the speed and slightly more impact. But this is just 15 mins listening to each of these DACs.

Both the PEE-51 and Questyle M12 have slightly more sparkle than the Lotoo Paw S1. But there's something special about the Lotoo Paw S1 when it came to the vocals. It sounded very smooth.

I felt the Questyle M12's separation and placement to be the best, the instruments were placed and were coming from a more précised position than in the Lotoo Paw S1 and PEE-51.
https://andyaudiovault.wordpress.com/donglemadness/

Hopefully by the end of the year I would have 95% of all available DAC/Amp dongles tested

Jul 31, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #2,741 of 6,314
https://andyaudiovault.wordpress.com/donglemadness/

Hopefully by the end of the year I would have 95% of all available DAC/Amp dongles tested
Very nice collection of DACs you have there!
Upon reading, it seems the Lotoo Paw S1 and PEE-51 are a tie based off your review.
Which among this 2 has better low-end impact, bass slam to you?

Interesting to know that you find the M12 to have lesser low end impact than the S1 and PEE-51. I think you're right, I did find the M12 and PEE-51 to be quite close when it comes to low end impact.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #2,742 of 6,314
Very nice collection of DACs you have there!
Upon reading, it seems the Lotoo Paw S1 and PEE-51 are a tie based off your review.
Which among this 2 has better low-end impact, bass slam to you?

Interesting to know that you find the M12 to have lesser low end impact than the S1 and PEE-51. I think you're right, I did find the M12 and PEE-51 to be quite close when it comes to low end impact.
You need an euphonic sounding unit then, and PEE51 fits the bill. PAW S1 is a lot more polite sounding in contrast aligned closer to Diffused Field Neutral timbre. But really if strong lows you looking you should also consider iBasso DC04

Jul 31, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #2,743 of 6,314
You need an euphonic sounding unit then, and PEE51 fits the bill. PAW S1 is a lot more polite sounding in contrast aligned closer to Diffused Field Neutral timbre. But really if strong lows you looking you should also consider iBasso DC04
Thanks so in terms of good strong and impactful low end/bass and quantity, out of all the usb c dac you've tested so far, how does the PEE-51 rank? One of the top? Are there any better ones or is the iBasso DC04 the king when it comes to bass impact and the PEE-51 comes in 2nd place?

I probably have to spend a little more time auditioning the PEE-51 again as I had less than 15 mins with it. I'm using my Westone Um-30 pro (gen 1) IEM.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #2,744 of 6,314
Thanks so in terms of good strong and impactful low end, out of all the usb c dac you've tested so far, how does the PEE-51 rank? One of the top? Are there any better ones or is the iBasso DC04 the king when it comes to bass impact and the PEE-51 comes in 2nd place?

I probably have to spend a little more time auditioning the PEE-51 again as I had less than 15 mins with it. I'm using my Westone Um-30 pro (gen 1) IEM.
The strongest is DC04. But if you also prefer more polished bass textures then PEE51 is what I prefer. All this, you have to remember synergy factor as well. A DAC/Amp can only be judged by what they are driving, so the characteristics of the IEM/Headphone attached to it will play massive role - it is all about how well they align and complement each others dynamic range

Users who are viewing this thread

Back