USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Mar 19, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #2,177 of 6,395
seems CS43198 dac is a popular choice for dongles and dap nowadays

Yep they seem popular. Though I feel that even though popular DAC chips and specs are nice, the implementation is of paramount importance. Bad implementation can make a so called good DAC chip sound bad still.

Mar 19, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #2,178 of 6,395
Hey guys,
I am looking for recommendations for a sub 30 USD USB-C dongle for my Samsung S20; I bought an Apple dongle, and it is working fine but as you know it is not loud enough!
In the last few pages of this mega-thread I seem to see only pricier dongles have been discussed.
If I refer to the first page, unfortunately the
Hidizs Sonata HD Dac Cable II aka TempoTec Sonata HD
Musiland MU1 / MU2 Plus
Hifime Tiny Type-C Dac

are ether OOS or discontinued.

Had high hopes in the Meizu Hifi-Dac Pro, however I seem to be able to find only the default version (non Pro), which I read uses cheaper components and it is perhaps less long lasting.

I am based in the UK and I don't have extreme hi-fi enthusiasts needs, however I really don't want a cheapo (like ugreen, jsaux, glubee or kabeldirect etc. ) Amazon products, simply because I don't think they tend to last as well. Buy cheap, buy twice, no thanks!

I am kind of eyeing the just released Creative Sound Blaster PLAY! 4 in case nothing can be found that sits in my budget, any opinion about it?

Mar 19, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #2,179 of 6,395
Most of the dongles with the CS43198 (and other brand chips) - especially the entry level - don't feature any kind of special implementation.
It is just the chip and a cable , plug and play.
That is why they sound indentical.
More expensive options might offer some kind of power filtering (i.e EarMen Eagle - not CS chip) or jitter reduction algorithms (i.e Hud M100 - not CS chip).

Mar 20, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #2,180 of 6,395
Hi, I have the note 10+ and the campfire Andromeda. I also have the es100. I'm looking for a portable solution for both on the go listening while also listening at home. Is there a big leap in quality buying a wired connection. Should I buy a 2.5mm balanced cable or is my 3.5mm litz cable good enough? Or is the current es100 cable good enough?

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #2,182 of 6,395
Slightly different use case. Can anyone give me recommendations for the best usb C dacamp to use with car speakers? I plan to use this plugged into my phone via 3.5mm AUX and drive my car speaker system. Is audioquest cobalt still a good option?

Mar 21, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #2,183 of 6,395
Slightly different use case. Can anyone give me recommendations for the best usb C dacamp to use with car speakers? I plan to use this plugged into my phone via 3.5mm AUX and drive my car speaker system. Is audioquest cobalt still a good option?
As long as it is full scale 2V output you are good to go.

You have also the option to buy a bluetooth device like FiiO BTR3K or BTR5 to avoid cable hassle.
They also have a car mode to power up/down automatically when the vehicle engine starts/stops.

Mar 22, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #2,186 of 6,395
The volume level of the DC04 is crazy when used from my pc, I can at the most set the pc volume to 5%

Mar 22, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #2,188 of 6,395

Users who are viewing this thread

Back