USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jan 31, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #2,011 of 6,414
finally to the end of this thread took my time to read all the post and if i remember correctly not a single mentioned about the Ikko Zerda ITM03: https://ikkoaudio.com/product/ikko-zerda-itm03/
- It can drive up to Impedance Adaptive:16Ω-600Ω
- Uses Cirrus Logic CS43198 & 128x native DSD PCM decoding capabilities
- Has a optical digital output bit rate is 32 bits / 192KHz

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #2,012 of 6,414

Attachments

• IMG_20210131_145702.jpg
    IMG_20210131_145702.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #2,013 of 6,414
Is there any way to put 3.5mm Port into the USB C-Type Phones. Like Can I buy S21 and put 3.5mm Port also somehow? Especially with nice sound quality? I am ready to pay good additional amount and even can try to do it myself. But not sure what to buy and how to buy and how to do that? Can anyone pls suggest or help? It will be highly appreciated.

Jan 31, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #2,014 of 6,414
Is there any way to put 3.5mm Port into the USB C-Type Phones. Like Can I buy S21 and put 3.5mm Port also somehow? Especially with nice sound quality? I am ready to pay good additional amount and even can try to do it myself. But not sure what to buy and how to buy and how to do that? Can anyone pls suggest or help? It will be highly appreciated.

No, you can't add a 3.5mm jack in there. Get a good dongle and you'll be set with any Androids going forwards, only real option (well, I suppose LG handsets are an option, but looks like they're set to abandon their mobile business).

Feb 1, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #2,016 of 6,414
Hi everyone,

I've got a fiio M11, and a set of audeze sine. When I use the sine with my onkyo stereo receiver via 1/4 inch headphone out, they sound great. Lots of bass, warm, wide... But on 3.5mm of my M11, they sound thin and void of bass.

I'm looking for a usb c dongle style device that will work with my M11 to make my sine sound warmer. I'd like to stay around $100. Thanks

Feb 1, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #2,018 of 6,414
Feb 1, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #2,019 of 6,414
ES9281Pro (FC3):
THD+N: -112dB
DNR: 124dB (A-weighed)

2xCS43131 (DC-03):
THD+N: -115dB
DNR: 130dB dual DAC -> 133dB (A-weighed)

That being said, implementation is what matters most.
As the noise floor of both is in the inaudbible range I don't think it matters. Honestly ESS Chips always sounded better to me than CS or AKM. There's more to the sound than just those measurements.

Feb 1, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #2,020 of 6,414
There's more to the sound than just those measurements.
If this is true, then surely the manufacturers would be falling over themselves to provide you with this missing information?
If you subtract inaudible from inaudible, what remains?

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #2,021 of 6,414
If this is true, then surely the manufacturers would be falling over themselves to provide you with this missing information?
If you subtract inaudible from inaudible, what remains?
Timing information for example. Can't be measured as of now. That's why a Chord Dave costs 11k$ and a CS DAC 50$, people hear differences. Your last question doesn't make any sense, you're just calculating in the inaudible range then. Might be lower hiss on super sensitive IEMs but that's it. AFAIK the FC3 is hiss free on even the most sensitive IEMs.

Feb 1, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #2,023 of 6,414
people hear differences.

This is subjective of course and is something that doesn't rely on technical parameters. You are correct when you say "There's more to the sound than just those measurements." For instance, my AKM DAC sounds better on Tuesday's, whilst my Sabre DAC's are generally better on Thursday's. Can't explain it, but I can definitely hear it. If I were to examine this in more detail I think it may be related to what I eat for breakfast on those days. Perception is such a powerful thing and should never be discounted. It is perhaps the most important factor when listening to music.

The point I'm making is simple. A manufacturer can only make a product as good as it's technical specifications, which can then be independently verified by others. This requires empirical data. The subjective side has so many variables it can not possibly be accounted for by the technical implementation, with the following exceptions.
1. Make it expensive because everyone knows the more expensive it is, the better it is.
2. Make it look good, so that it gives the impression of quality.

Timing information for example. Can't be measured as of now.
Not sure what timing information mean, but if you are referring to jitter (the variation in time of the derived clock signal from nominal) then this can be accurately measured.

Some of current products in this category can reproduce sound accurately and faithfully beyond the range of human hearing ability for approximately $50. We are at the point where the listener has become the weakest link in the audio chain. That is a great achievement and allows me to concentrate purchases in areas which really do make an audible difference - transducers! :L3000:

Feb 1, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #2,024 of 6,414
This is subjective of course and is something that doesn't rely on technical parameters. You are correct when you say "There's more to the sound than just those measurements." For instance, my AKM DAC sounds better on Tuesday's, whilst my Sabre DAC's are generally better on Thursday's. Can't explain it, but I can definitely hear it. If I were to examine this in more detail I think it may be related to what I eat for breakfast on those days. Perception is such a powerful thing and should never be discounted. It is perhaps the most important factor when listening to music.

The point I'm making is simple. A manufacturer can only make a product as good as it's technical specifications, which can then be independently verified by others. This requires empirical data. The subjective side has so many variables it can not possibly be accounted for by the technical implementation, with the following exceptions.
1. Make it expensive because everyone knows the more expensive it is, the better it is.
2. Make it look good, so that it gives the impression of quality.

Not sure what timing information mean, but if you are referring to jitter (the variation in time of the derived clock signal from nominal) then this can be accurately measured.

Some of current products in this category can reproduce sound accurately and faithfully beyond the range of human hearing ability for approximately $50. We are at the point where the listener has become the weakest link in the audio chain. That is a great achievement and allows me to concentrate purchases in areas which really do make an audible difference - transducers! :L3000:
Surely accuracy isn't the point. That's a basic expectation. The upright piano in the corner of the pub can play an A note accurately, but it won't sound as good as a Steinway grand. Mere accuracy is not the audiophile quest. It's the 'what else' that matters - and that needs to be paid for...

Feb 1, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #2,025 of 6,414
Surely accuracy isn't the point. That's a basic expectation. The upright piano in the corner of the pub can play an A note accurately, but it won't sound as good as a Steinway grand. Mere accuracy is not the audiophile quest. It's the 'what else' that matters - and that needs to be paid for...
So what is that 'what else' and why are manufacturers not telling me about it? If Steinway can do it, why can't Casio? I'm skeptical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back