USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Apr 16, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #1,156 of 6,414
So I thought the Meizu Pro dongle was supposed to output it's maximum power on an Android phone? It gets much louder plugged into the USB-C port on my windows laptop. Roughly 20% on the windows laptop is equal to roughly 50% on my Android phone.
try with another phone to check if your phone is not power limited on its usb. otherwise it may be related to "maximum output level is limited to about 1Vrms due to automatic impedance detection" that may only occur on android and not on windows ? ( from https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/94991395 )

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #1,157 of 6,414
in this comparison of meizu hifi pro and non pro ( https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/94991395 ) i read "It does not support programmable digital filters, but only three kinds of built-in digital filters, but the digital filters built into CS have been inherited by Wolfson and Crystal. From now on, it may be the best preset One of the filters." is there a way to toggle between these 3 filters ? thanks

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #1,158 of 6,414
Hi, i have the XBA-N3 and I'm looking for something that really change the quality of the audio compared to my honor 10, I listen from home so I don't care about the size and weight, I just have to stay in bed with him, and then I don't care the power of the volume, what do you recommend?

Ifi hip dac :)

Apr 16, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #1,160 of 6,414
I am undecided between ifi hip dac and the FiiO BTR5, bluetooth is certainly convenient but I am only interested in audio quality, so I can do without bluetooth .. However I had a question to ask, it is true that not using tidal, but only spotify does it make sense to spend 150 on the ifi hip dac?

I dont see how it didnt make sense with 150 usd.

Apr 16, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #1,162 of 6,414
I was told that the only reason to buy the hip dac is because of the MQA files that spotify obviously doesn't have

I didn't use tidal still I bought it and used it with spotify happily. The sound is really awesome.

Apr 16, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #1,165 of 6,414
try with another phone to check if your phone is not power limited on its usb. otherwise it may be related to "maximum output level is limited to about 1Vrms due to automatic impedance detection" that may only occur on android and not on windows ? ( from https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/94991395 )

I only have one phone.

Apr 16, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #1,166 of 6,414
Dear lovely people,
I just fell into this new rabbit hole called hifi. And was very surprised how deep it is.
Actually i just wanted some new headphones for my pixel 3 and my switch lite.
And wanted them to be a bit decent.

So I already chose the headphones/IEM to be Tin Hifi T2.

Now as the 3,5 mm dongle from google (v2) is not good, I steped even deeper in the rabbit hole to find a decent dac matching my Tin T2.

So I looking for something decent enough. Should not be too flimsy to break straight away, but also should be a small dongle not a box.

The following are my finalists.
- Musiland MU1
- Meizu Hi-Fi Pro or not Pro
- ISN Audio Type C DAC

What do you guys think?
I especially confused by reading the Meizo have EMC issues (interferences) in this forum.
Still it gets recomended a lot.

In the first post of this thread Musiland is suggested to be good.
Last few pages no one suggests musiland, but all propose Meizu.

Can someone help me with my confusion?
My budget is maybe 20 to 30 €.

Thanks.
Alex

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #1,167 of 6,414
Dear lovely people,
I just fell into this new rabbit hole called hifi. And was very surprised how deep it is.

Now as the 3,5 mm dongle from google (v2) is not good, I steped even deeper in the rabbit hole to find a decent dac matching my Tin T2.

So I looking for something decent enough. Should not be too flimsy to break straight away, but also should be a small dongle not a box.

- Musiland MU1
- ISN Audio Type C DAC

What do you guys think?
I especially confused by reading the Meizo have EMC issues (interferences) in this forum.

Thanks.
Alex
DD TC 35. Check my review - https://www.audioglorye.com/dd-electronics-tc-35-dacamp/

Apr 18, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #1,168 of 6,414
Dear lovely people,

- Musiland MU1
- ISN Audio Type C DAC

What do you guys think?

Thanks.
Alex
on paper the meizu is an easy recommendation it has the better speced dac chip compared to your 2 other contenders.

if you go for meizu don't get the pro it is just an amped version of the non pro (it is out of your budget anyway) : the meizu non pro has enough power for your tin t2 and for 90% of all other iems (60mW total output power on paper, 49mW measured on audiosciencereview, the pro is 100mW on paper 87mW measured, you don't need this much power and it will use more of your phone battery for nothing )

on the quest for better audio, before improving the dac in your audio pipeline, adding a second iem to your collection may be more revealing to the different pieces of music you are listening (own 2 or more iem and choose which one fits the best your individual pieces of music), by more revealing i mean it will make a bigger difference to your ear than upgrading phone internal dac with external usb dac (experiencing different sound signature is more exciting than getting slightly cleaner sound) - for $18 **** is often recommended and it fits in your budget

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #1,169 of 6,414
on paper the meizu is an easy recommendation it has the better speced dac chip compared to your 2 other contenders.

if you go for meizu don't get the pro it is just an amped version of the non pro (it is out of your budget anyway) : the meizu non pro has enough power for your tin t2 and for 90% of all other iems (60mW total output power on paper, 49mW measured on audiosciencereview, the pro is 100mW on paper 87mW measured, you don't need this much power and it will use more of your phone battery for nothing )

on the quest for better audio, before improving the dac in your audio pipeline, adding a second iem to your collection may be more revealing to the different pieces of music you are listening (own 2 or more iem and choose which one fits the best your individual pieces of music), by more revealing i mean it will make a bigger difference to your ear than upgrading phone internal dac with external usb dac (experiencing different sound signature is more exciting than getting slightly cleaner sound) - for $18 **** is often recommended and it fits in your budget

Thanks for your info.
I now did put both headphones in my aliexpress basket. I am curious for both. 😊

And I think I will also order the proposed DD TC35. The dongle from my Pixel 3 is also very silent, so I want an upgrade in quality and volume.
The Meizu non pro still puts me of because of interferences and issues at 44.1 khz sampling rate.
Greetings.

Apr 19, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #1,170 of 6,414
Thanks for your info.
I now did put both headphones in my aliexpress basket. I am curious for both. 😊

And I think I will also order the proposed DD TC35. The dongle from my Pixel 3 is also very silent, so I want an upgrade in quality and volume.
The Meizu non pro still puts me of because of interferences and issues at 44.1 khz sampling rate.
Greetings.
intereferences due to possible poor shielding design in the meizu hifi non pro is a very good reason to not buy it, but i'd investigate a bit to check if it was not a single feedback caused by a faulty unit because shielding is the basic feature you need in an dac and it is very improbable that meizu engineers ****ed this up.

note that dd tc35 has the same CS42L42 chip as musiland mu1 but there may be differences in implementation.

anyway exploring different upgrade paths is a good strategy, please share back in a few weeks what was (at similar upgrade cost) the biggest difference to your ear between 1/ upgrading your dac and 2/ trying a different iem sound signature

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back