USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Nov 29, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #556 of 6,325
Not yet I'm afraid. Both the 9038S and DC01 are great options for balanced operation.

Thank you! The only thing that is warding me off from buying the 9038s is the power consumption. But compared to the dc01, accdg to our lads, 9038s is superior in terms of sq.

Decisions, decisions..

Nov 29, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #557 of 6,325
But compared to the dc01, accdg to our lads, 9038s is superior in terms of sq.

Decisions, decisions..
I am expecting iBasso DC01. Ztella and 9038S (which I have ordered today). When I have them altogether I will write about their power consumption and SQs.

Nov 29, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #558 of 6,325
I am expecting iBasso DC01. Ztella and 9038S (which I have ordered today). When I have them altogether I will write about their power consumption and SQs.

Will definitely await your findings! :)

Nov 29, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #559 of 6,325
What I have already found out is that a cellphone with 5000mAh battery connected to Meizu HiFi DAC (not a PRO version) was playing songs non-stop for 15 hours (but in Airplane mode) and the battery was drained only by 14%. I mean after 15 hours of playback the battery showed 86% left. Another thing which is very important to mention is that if you leave the DAC connected to the phone and even without a playback it drains the battery. Thus, it's better to remove the DAC when not in use.

Nov 30, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #560 of 6,325
Like I mentioned before, the lack of volume hardware on the 9038S made me go for the DC01 instead. I was very pleasantly surprised by its audio quality. It has a very detailed sound with a nicely wide and three-dimensional soundstage. I'm comparing it to my FiiO X7 II with AM3D THX amp module, both using the excellent **** earphones balanced.

I will wait for a 9038S successor with hardware volume.

A recent post in this thread measured it consuming only 50mA while playing a FLAC file. In practice that will vary with the bit rate of the media and type of attached headphones. I haven't done any solid power consumption tests myself and my phone doesn't have a 3.5mm jack, so I can't compare it to that.

And I have a ZTella MQA DAC amp on its way as well, really looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #562 of 6,325
Anyone try the Ikko Zerda? I saw usb-c versions had been available and most recently the Lightning version became available (looking for an option for my iPhone - without having to use my Apple USB 3 adapter). But was interested in sound impressions and power draw. Thanks.

Nov 30, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #563 of 6,325
I got DC02 and it has some sound skipping issue once in a minute or two with both android and windows. Is it common, owners of DC02, or just my unit does that?

I remember the sound of my DC01 skipping one of the first times I used it, but I think that was just my phone having a bit of trouble waking up. Haven't experienced any skipping or pops after that.

Nov 30, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #565 of 6,325
does anyone know if ve odyssey hd can play 24bit/192khz?

Dec 1, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #566 of 6,325
hi, you'll probably good with the Meizu HiFi DAC Pro adapter when using the Steelseries Artics 3 headphone, but the "Sony MDR-1A" I'm not sure. Hopefully someone can help you with that.
I will buy this Meizu DAC Pro myself but my headphone is a humble one: Pioneer SE-MJ553BT-R, 40mm driver, frequency range 6 Hz - 40,000Hz, impedance 32 ohms, pretty good sound but nowhere near compared to the headphones you mentioned.

Thanks for your reply! Will you connect the Meizu dac to an iPad Pro too?
Since I'm really worried about compatibility, please let me know how it goes when you get to try it.

In the Sony website the headphones are said to have 40mm drivers, 105 dB/mW and 24 Ω of impedance.
I would appreciate it a lot if somebody could confirm wether this Meizu dac is enough for these Mdr-1a.

Dec 1, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #567 of 6,325
Since I'm really worried about compatibility, please let me know how it goes when you get to try it.

In the Sony website the headphones are said to have 40mm drivers, 105 dB/mW and 24 Ω of impedance.
I would appreciate it a lot if somebody could confirm wether this Meizu dac is enough for these Mdr-1a.

If they really are 105 dB/mW that means it'll only need 1mW to get to 105 dB which is very loud. So practically anything should power them.

Dec 1, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #568 of 6,325

No iPad here, I'm using a HTC U11 phone but the HTC's DAC adapter sounds muffled even after tweaking the audio with PowerAmp's 10-band equalizer. I hope the Meizu DAC will be clearer.
I'll post results when I receive the Meizu DAC adapter :)

Dec 1, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #569 of 6,325
I'm loving iBasso DC01. Pairs very well with my Noble Audio Encore customs and Effect Audio Cleopatra Octa 2.5mm balanced cable. Background is dead quiet, no noise. Listening Tidal through UAPP sounds better than Tidal's own native app...

I previously deem LG V50 as my flagship audiophile phone, but now prefer Dc01 for its sound quality. Now waiting for my Ztella if this is the next one to beat...

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #570 of 6,325
So quick impressions of the E1DA 9038s vs Fiio Q5s with Am3d thx module.

Iems used : Audiosense T800

Quick note: They both are extreme close. Seriously scary close.

Lows for me personally go to the 9038s, I fell more authority and impact while rumbles is more satisfying to my ears. The Q5s is a bit tighter and quicker but I happy to sacrifice a bit of tightness for musicality.

Mids on the Q5s seem slightly more forward with a bit more detail and clarity but the 9038s has this gorgeous addictive fullness that truly makes guitars sound powerful and realistic, it's an extremely close call and it's very hard for me to decide but I think the Q5s has the edge as I am a detail freak but on many songs the 9038s I honestly didn't want to stop listening so this could change on the near future.

Treble, the Q5s seems to have a bit more sparkle and air, but I feel that the 9038s presents a more natural and slightly more extended treble, at first it was very hard for me to pick out the difference but after more listening the Q5s does have slightly more energy up top, I personally prefer the 9038s.

Soundstage, the Q5s feels it has a bit width but the 9038s I feel has a bit more depth and a more surounding feel to it while the Q5s has a slightly blacker background. Height was very tricky, maybe the Q5s has the lead but the 9038s makes thing sound extremely pin point accurate. Both are seriously great and soundstage I think comes to personal preference. I really like how the 9038s places things.

Instrument seperation comes extremely close as well, maybe the 9038s has the lead with this. But it was extremely hard to tell.

With all honesty, they both are extremely close while the Q5s has the slight more energy the 9038s is the bit more neutral of the two but it does have a bit of enery in the upper range as well.

It's crazy how well the 9038s performs for the price the only downside could be battery consumption but I personally haven't had any issues. If you have a phone with a big baterry you should be ok :). How highly do I rec it? EXTREMELY HIGH. Best bang for the buck in a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back