USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Mar 23, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #2,195 of 6,414
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a compact DAC for a computer that would be a slight upgrade to the FiiO BTR3K (I use it as a mobile device with a phone) - with a similar sound signature, but even higher quality. My budget is in the region of $ 100-150.

Will Hidizs S9 be a good choice? Maybe something else?

Mar 23, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #2,196 of 6,414
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a compact DAC for a computer that would be a slight upgrade to the FiiO BTR3K (I use it as a mobile device with a phone) - with a similar sound signature, but even higher quality. My budget is in the region of $ 100-150.

I need to address the obvious first: have you tried using the BTR3K as a wired DAC from a computer? Coming from wireless, you might notice some improvement!

If you really want to buy a dongle, my vote is on HD Sonata Pro.
1. It has a volume control on the device itself
2. The USB cable is exchangeable
3. Got rave reviews from ASR soundwise

Power is just so-so, though. If you want more power there's the hiby FC3 with similar points above. It doesn't get rave reviews from ASR (I haven't checked actually) but it uses the same DAC chip as Sonata HD pro which is a great start.

Mar 23, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #2,197 of 6,414
Hi everyone,

Buy a Luxury and Precision W1 - that will blow you away after you tried it in comparison to the BTR3K. It is a bit higher than your budget region but hey - you only live once (as per current knowledge).

Mar 23, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #2,198 of 6,414
I need to address the obvious first: have you tried using the BTR3K as a wired DAC from a computer? Coming from wireless, you might notice some improvement!

If you really want to buy a dongle, my vote is on HD Sonata Pro.
1. It has a volume control on the device itself
2. The USB cable is exchangeable
3. Got rave reviews from ASR soundwise

Power is just so-so, though. If you want more power there's the hiby FC3 with similar points above. It doesn't get rave reviews from ASR (I haven't checked actually) but it uses the same DAC chip as Sonata HD pro which is a great start.

Yes, I used the FiiO BTR3K as a DAC for a computer connected via cable. I'm just looking for another device that will only be used with a computer and will be at least half a step higher than the BTR3K when it comes to SQ.

Buy a Luxury and Precision W1 - that will blow you away after you tried it in comparison to the BTR3K. It is a bit higher than your budget region but hey - you only live once (as per current knowledge).

Thanks for the hint.

What is the sound signature of Luxury and Precision W1?

I am looking for equipment that will offer slightly warmed, natural, musical, analog, and not analytical sound.

I like devices based on AKM, Luxury and Precision W1 has Cirrus Logic, which I do not know - how does it relate to AKM?

For a while I had the FiiO BTR5, which when it comes to the overall SQ stands higher than the BTR3K, but I didn't like its sound signature - too hard, bright, analytical. In general, I did not like every Sabre-based DAC I had the opportunity to listen to.

Mar 24, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #2,200 of 6,414
There is too many USBC DAC's... When is someone going to get off their ass and make a spreadsheet of the ones they own with their differences? :wink:
What would be the approach?
1. Get a list of all the available dongles
2. Get all the official specs for the dongles
Turn point 1 & 2 into a spreadsheet.

3. Do measurements on all the dongles
4. Get each dongle reviewed by listeners with good ears who know the proper lingo

Point 1 and 2 is very doable.
Point 4 should be possible
I have no clue how to organise point 3

Mar 24, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #2,201 of 6,414
Yes, I used the FiiO BTR3K as a DAC for a computer connected via cable. I'm just looking for another device that will only be used with a computer and will be at least half a step higher than the BTR3K when it comes to SQ.

Thanks for the hint.

I am looking for equipment that will offer slightly warmed, natural, musical, analog, and not analytical sound.

I like devices based on AKM, Luxury and Precision W1 has Cirrus Logic, which I do not know - how does it relate to AKM?

For a while I had the FiiO BTR5, which when it comes to the overall SQ stands higher than the BTR3K, but I didn't like its sound signature - too hard, bright, analytical. In general, I did not like every Sabre-based DAC I had the opportunity to listen to.
Ah, disregard my recommendation then.

I'm partial towards clarity so I'm not really keen on warm thick sound. However, as far as I know the Fiio Q3 has an AKM chip, and the THQ amp (in it) has been getting good reviews.

Mar 24, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #2,202 of 6,414

Thanks for the hint.

well there is a whole thread about Luxury and Precision where you can read the many thoughts about the W1 and the W2.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lux...e-info-on-post-1.949448/page-94#post-16257688

I recommend digging into that one. Having written that, from my intense study - the Cirrus Logic DAC has been mentioned several times as largely superior to the AKM, but it seems the almost more important part is how the engineers are able to tune them and "tickle" the most out of them. There are DAC's out there based on AKM that sound terrible, while others sound quite good. What Luxury and Precision was capable of (and how I don't know) is to exploit the CIrrus DAC to the outmost possible perfection.
So it sounds absolutely neutral - I mean really perfectly neutral.
BUT I am a little concerned about your comment about analytical sound - because both the W1 and W2 are clear like a crystal glass - they are almost invisible and transparent - hence they are very unforgiving for bad recording, but fabulous for good recordings and good high res files.

I do only know the W1, W2 and the BTR5 and am not familiar with Lotoo and other brands - but have a go at the L&P thread and that may give you some better idea as to whether their products are what you look for.
I love mine but I love perfect sound that is not colorized in any way.

Mar 24, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #2,203 of 6,414
What would be the approach?
1. Get a list of all the available dongles
2. Get all the official specs for the dongles
Turn point 1 & 2 into a spreadsheet.

3. Do measurements on all the dongles
4. Get each dongle reviewed by listeners with good ears who know the proper lingo

Point 1 and 2 is very doable.
Point 4 should be possible
I have no clue how to organise point 3
That's a possibility but my post was really a comment toward USB DAC collectors. I've read someone people say they have over 10. If that's so, make a list of your faves 1-20, etc from and post comments about them and put them in a public spreadsheet, much like people are reviewing earphones, like Crinacle. I like your idea better or just as much though.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #2,205 of 6,414
HIBY FC3 is $69USD on their website but $111USD on Aliexpress? What's the deal?

I spoke to Hiby before on their aliexpress shop. They did the same thing in having their products priced more expensive for the Hiby beans and R2 on their aliexpress shop than my local shop. Apparently the rep says they have some region lock thingy where they have an agreement with local distributors not to undercut their local prices on Aliexpress. So it is an intended pricing to price u out of aliexpress and filter you to the local distributors (who probably paid rights to sell it).

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back