USB-C Sucks. 3.5mm Is Real Sound!!!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #106 of 320
That is not correct. When I receive a call on my LG G8 with XTremPro dongle attached, the music mutes, I hear a ring tone and I am able to answer the call.

You seem to have a lot of opinions, not much experience. If you truly are interested in listening on a mobile phone, I highly suggest you purchase a dongle DAC, because your Samsung phone sounds pretty poor on its own.

Another advantage of the LG Quad DAC that hasn't been mentioned. I can listen to high quality sound while my phone is charging, because the USB port is not taken up by a dongle.

Listening right now to my G8 through Grado GH4 headphones. The sound is really quite impressive, far beyond my Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic IEM's, and it will play loud enough to damage your hearing. With the 250 ohm DT 1990 Pro, I have to run around 3/4 volume, but it will still go uncomfortably loud. Of course either of these headphones do sound better with better gear upstream, especially the DT 1990.
Ok. Well, I ordered Avani with Smoke Monk Plus with Mic. I am using PowerAmp but not sure if it will make any difference and especially how convenient it will be and will not destroy my Earphone Plug and USB Port of the Phone so that needs to be seen.

I use PowerAmp and did no like HiBy or Neutron App much as they are very flat sounding, not airy and no bass at all. While PowerAmp sounds Amazing already but as you all suggested and mentioned, that using DAC will take it to some other level of sound quality, so I am hoping that the sound quality will improve by at least 10X times with lots of lots of minute details and nice bass and some sub-bass feel too. Let's see.

Also, it will still not allow me to charge the phone if I use the DAC to listen to the music. I found cpl of Dongles which allow you to charge at the same time. One of them is: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001260105218.html

How does it look? Anyone used this? Is that good to give the same 10X sound quality?

Also, what app you use to listen to the music? Anything better than PowerAmp?

Sep 20, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #107 of 320
My advice is to put a hold on investigating amps and equipment until you've figured out how to compare them properly. You're going to spend a lot of unnecessary money chasing things that aren't real.

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #108 of 320
Also, it will still not allow me to charge the phone if I use the DAC to listen to the music. I found cpl of Dongles which allow you to charge at the same time. One of them is: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001260105218.html

How does it look? Anyone used this? Is that good to give the same 10X sound quality?

Also, what app you use to listen to the music? Anything better than PowerAmp?
Just because it is an external DAC doesn't mean it will be an improvement over the DAC in your Samsung phone. If you want a real improvement, go with something known like the Helm Bolt.

The best app for Android is USB Audio Player Pro. It bypasses Android processing for a solid improvement in sonics.

Sep 22, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #109 of 320
Just because it is an external DAC doesn't mean it will be an improvement over the DAC in your Samsung phone. If you want a real improvement, go with something known like the Helm Bolt.

The best app for Android is USB Audio Player Pro. It bypasses Android processing for a solid improvement in sonics.
Helm Bolt is AUD $300 Dongle. Who will buy such expensive one. Most of the people here says that DAC Dongle will improve the sound. I doubt though.

I use PowerAmp and it sounds very good but I am looking for even better option. Tried HiBy and Neutron but both are nowhere near PowerAmp. They sound very flat, no air, no bass and absolutely rubbish.

USB Audio Player is mentioned by many guys but problem is that it is not free to even try for 1 week or so. Like PowerAmp, they have 15 days full Trial version and if you like, then buy Pro. But here you pay $15 and if you don't like, then $15 gone.

So PowerAmp does not bypass Android Processing? How UAPP App improve sound? I guess that will work only if I have USB C Phone. I have S10+ which has 3.5mm Jack so I do not think any DAC will work. But if there is any App which can improve my Phone DAC, I am happy to try and may be buy that.

Sep 22, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #110 of 320
The easy way to determine whether something significantly improves sound quality is to ask people what they compared it to to determine that it was better, and how did they do the comparison? Did they do a controlled listening test with level matching, direct A/B switching, multiple trials and blind, or did they just casually listen and think it sounds better than something they heard earlier in the week? If they say I don't believe in DBT, you can be sure that they made absolutely no effort to eliminate the effects of bias and perceptual error. Their opinions probably aren't worth much.

Here in sound science, we are allowed to dismiss people like that. Some of us write books trying to convince them and explain every unlikely possibility and trivial exception to the rule, but it still doesn't help. Some people just don't listen. They've already made up their minds what the truth is and the truth could walk up to them and shake their hand and introduce himself and they wouldn't recognize it.

This stuff really isn't all that complicated. Most of the time, obvious stuff is obvious.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #111 of 320
So PowerAmp does not bypass Android Processing? How UAPP App improve sound? I guess that will work only if I have USB C Phone. I have S10+ which has 3.5mm Jack so I do not think any DAC will work. But if there is any App which can improve my Phone DAC, I am happy to try and may be buy that.
I don't know Poweramp, it may also be bit perfect.
This video is excellent and explains a lot about Android USB and dongles.

Sep 22, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #112 of 320
Poweramp uses the FMpeg decoder which is open source and is as perfect as you get get.

I use poweramp and it sounds as it should, perfect. Also it has a GEQ and PEQ which are extremely powerful. I highly recommend it on Android.

for pants-s*%^ ers Poweramp can bypass the android remixer easily but you have to have a compatible phone.. does it matter? of course not

One thing I DO enjoy is the Digital Volume Control Poweramp has. It allows EQ without screwing with your overall gain/volume. Uses some kind of magical DSP processing to extended the dynamic range to where the EQ can work without clipping.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #113 of 320
Totally agreed! What an amazing read, its just pure marketting strategy to make more money, now same strategy is being applied to charging bricks as well in the name of being environment friendly goods.

Sep 23, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #114 of 320
Poweramp uses the FMpeg decoder which is open source and is as perfect as you get get.

I use poweramp and it sounds as it should, perfect. Also it has a GEQ and PEQ which are extremely powerful. I highly recommend it on Android.

for pants-s*%^ ers Poweramp can bypass the android remixer easily but you have to have a compatible phone.. does it matter? of course not

One thing I DO enjoy is the Digital Volume Control Poweramp has. It allows EQ without screwing with your overall gain/volume. Uses some kind of magical DSP processing to extended the dynamic range to where the EQ can work without clipping.
Yeah. PowerAmp is really good. The other apps like HiBy or Neutron are not even 10% good of PowerAmp. In fact they should not be considered even good :)

Only thing I am looking for some more Pre-Set EQs if I can import from somewhere. Do you know any app or something?

Also, little bit more clarity and details will make PowerAmp THE BEST without doubt.

These people say that DAC Dongle will improve the sound but I doubt that it will do any good with PowerAmp sound which is already near best level.

Oct 6, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #115 of 320
Yesterday I got the Dongle DAC I bought from VE Site (Avani), and now I can safely say that these so called Dongle DACs are purely Scam. There is not even iota of change in the sound quality and in fact it was very loud all of a sudden but then I did something to normalise it.

There is no change in Sample rate or bit rate or anything else. This proves that these Dongles and Connectors are scam from these Phone companies so people will spend money in buying them as 3.5mm Jack will not be there.

Oct 6, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #116 of 320
What are you talking about? A DAC shouldn’t change sound or sample rate. It converts from digital to analog, that’s all. You might want to do a little research to learn the basics of how digital audio works.

Oct 6, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #117 of 320
A DAC shouldn't have any effects on sampling rate. Maybe you upsamplied it somewhere else. And the DAC just didn't support it?

I think the biggest contributers to "sound quality" in a lot of cases really has less to do with actual sound quality, but more because it is tuned more to your liking e.g. a warmer sound. So it's more pleasing to your ears.

Oct 6, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #118 of 320
A DAC outputs an analog signal. The line out doesn’t have a bit or sample rate.

This is 100% bias. He doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #119 of 320
What are you talking about? A DAC shouldn’t change sound or sample rate. It converts from digital to analog, that’s all. You might want to do a little research to learn the basics of how digital audio works.

A DAC shouldn't have any effects on sampling rate. Maybe you upsamplied it somewhere else. And the DAC just didn't support it?

I think the biggest contributers to "sound quality" in a lot of cases really has less to do with actual sound quality, but more because it is tuned more to your liking e.g. a warmer sound. So it's more pleasing to your ears.

What I have been heating from all the threads that this DAC is superb and that DAC is even better. I know it convert Digital to Analog but I have been telling people that it does not do anything and simply pass Analog Signals to Earphones which are already converted by Device's in-built DAC.

These Dongles and Connectors are simply scam and ways to make more money by Phone companies by removing 3.5mm Jack. Not more than that in reality.

Oct 7, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #120 of 320
You aren’t listening to anything we say. Why are you listening to people who don’t know what they’re talking about?

You’re just ranting and cherry picking and not making any attempt to learn about how things really work. You’re just a big bottle full of hot air.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back