USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Jan 26, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #2,356 of 6,156
I know that UAPP supports HiRes on the Pioneer 300R. Does it mean that it uses the Sabre DAC? Because all other 3rd party Players uses the Snapdragon DAC and sound quality is worse than original player or Onkyo player.

Only UAPP can AFAIK. Is the sound quality worse in UAPP or in the other 3rd party players?

Jan 26, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #2,359 of 6,156
Why do they still put the low fi dac if they have the hires sabre, akm or whatever inside? The OS should run without it and the apps would detect the only dac inside the unit, the hires one.
As pioneer xdp-300 has very good sound paired with lcd2f i would also say uapp uses the hires dac, it even says first time you run it that it found it and will use it as default.
But it has some stability issues though on this pioneer dap, i checked the hires pcm or mqa flags and the sound was full of static noise, as an untuned fm frequency. Then i uncheked the flags, i had music with clicks and pops. I switch the bit floating setting to 32 bit and it told me dac not found. I choose auto as it was and only then the music was right, no static noise, no clicks.
Another problem, on rotation, search list, albums, etc are gone, they are emptied.

Jan 26, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #2,360 of 6,156
Sound quality in UAPP is better than in other 3rd party apps. But I'm curious to know if it uses the Sabre DAC.
On pioneer, uapp delivers a bit better sound than stock music app. You can test them side by side, just place the widgets for both one below the other on your screen and play the same song switching between them. Use same sound tunning, either no processing (bit perfect) or similar eq, etc. I found that uapp is even a bit louder, but maybe it handles gain in a different way, perhaps by getting more current from the battery.

Jan 26, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #2,361 of 6,156
UAPP while playing DSD album in DX200 will create a large pop noise in between one track to another.

Jan 26, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #2,362 of 6,156
idal sounds way better with this UAPP than from tidal software.
without a doubt.

On my Hiby R6, which supposedly bypasses the android mixer for all APKs (avoiding resampling) I can still here a slight gain in reverb quality and cymbal work precision/clarity when using UAPP vs the standard Tidal apk. The difference is very subtle, and I have to play at louder than normal volumes to pick it out, but it's there. Similarly, when I use my ipad (tidal app) to feed mojo, it doesn't sound as good as UAPP on android feeding it. Again, a subtle difference. And a very subjective one, because I volume matched by ear (FWIW).

I think UAPP has a more direct bitstream architecture. It may bypass other levels of audio processing that take place even in a 'bit perfect' scenario. There are multiple software and hardware layers that I've read about on other platforms (windows/mac) and I have to believe that all OSs are subject to them - and at each layer pass, nasties are introduced. I don't know this to be a fact, but it is my best guess.

Jan 27, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #2,363 of 6,156
Why do they still put the low fi dac if they have the hires sabre, akm or whatever inside? The OS should run without it and the apps would detect the only dac inside the unit, the hires one.
As pioneer xdp-300 has very good sound paired with lcd2f i would also say uapp uses the hires dac, it even says first time you run it that it found it and will use it as default.
But it has some stability issues though on this pioneer dap, i checked the hires pcm or mqa flags and the sound was full of static noise, as an untuned fm frequency. Then i uncheked the flags, i had music with clicks and pops. I switch the bit floating setting to 32 bit and it told me dac not found. I choose auto as it was and only then the music was right, no static noise, no clicks.
Another problem, on rotation, search list, albums, etc are gone, they are emptied.

Please do NOT change anything in HiRes driver flags or format as you found out. If the app detects the DAC, you shouldn't touch these options UNLESS you are on a LG V30/V40/G7 and want to enable MQA decoding on the device.
The rotation problem is not specific to an Android device and unfortunately it's way too complex to solve.

Jan 28, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #2,365 of 6,156
Is it normal for MQA Albums to glitch and pop from Tidal?
It doesn't happen through the Tidal App.

Thanks

Jan 28, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #2,367 of 6,156
Seems better with an external ifi DAC, but through the V30 it glitches quite a lot.
Through the Tidal app it seems perfect

Thanks Gary

Jan 28, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #2,368 of 6,156
Seems better with an external ifi DAC, but through the V30 it glitches quite a lot.
Through the Tidal app it seems perfect

Thanks Gary

Ok, that is with the V30 stand-alone I suppose? When you look in the app's Settings, Internal Hires audio, HiRes driver flags, which flags are enabled there (if any)?

Jan 28, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #2,369 of 6,156
Davy,

There are currently no flags selected, I did try selecting the LG one but it made no difference

Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back