USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Jun 17, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #3,948 of 6,156
Ok--I've got an Ibasso 220 Amp 8 EX Fe. I listen mainly streaming --Tidal or Qobuz. The 220 doesn't come with Play Store, so I downloaded an add on that a member (Lurker) came up with for the 220 that has Play Store. So I downloaded it and then Uapp. I'm familiar with Uapp as I have had it on my phones. My 220 was dropping internet connections after 5 to 10 minutes. My phone doesn't drop at all with Uapp. Also, when first playing a song, Uapp says "buffering". For maybe 15 seconds. I sent back my 220 saying that it was dropping internet all of the time. They said that they played it on Tidal for a whole weekend--no dropout. Hmmm. So I got it back and tried playing on Tidal. No dropouts. Songs start right up. So--the problem is the interaction with the 220. It's a drag---I listen mostly streaming and the Uapp player sounds noticeably better than the Tidal player. But it won't work right. Any Ideas?

Jun 17, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #3,949 of 6,156
Hello all,

I have a problem with running UAPP and the in-app purchased Parametric EQ called Tonebooster on my Fiio M11Pro while strteaming from Tidal from within UAPP. The setup works fine on my Samsung Galaxy note 9. When i enable the Parametric EQ, the sound signature changes on my phone according to my custom values. However, the same exact practice on Fiio M11Pro does not appear to affect the sound signature at all. I am thinking maybe there is setting or configuration that doesnt allow an application like UAPP and its internal equalizer to actually manage the sound signature. I was wondering if anyone had this issue or knows of any work around.

Thank you.

Jun 17, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #3,952 of 6,156
Would it be possible to add the following devices to the UAPP database for hires driver recognition; Oneplus 7 pro, Oneplus 8 pro amd Shanling M6 Pro?

Thanks
info@extreamsd.com
^ email dev ^, probably with audio_policy.conf file from each device.

Jun 18, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #3,953 of 6,156
After updating to version 5.6.0, the MQA indicator light disappeared. Device - Fiio M11Pro

Same here, already dropped emails to both support teams.

<<After upgrading my Fiio M11Pro to the 0604 beta I have lost the green dot / blue dot marks when playing Tidal in the USB Audio Player Pro (latest version with added support for the FiiO M11(PRO)/M15 MQA decoder/renderer). Only the MQA logo is shown in the play menu.>>

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #3,954 of 6,156
Found a description of MQA in UAPP. It says the following:

When the app is playing and decoding MQA, either the green ('MQA') or blue ('MQA Studio') light will be displayed right next to the MQA logo in the current song and mini player display. This denotes provenance to ensure that the sound is identical to that of the source material. ‘‘MQA Studio’ indicates it is playing an MQA Studio file, which has either been approved in the studio by the artist/producer or has been verified by the copyright owner.

USB Audio Player Pro includes MQA Core technology, which unfolds the MQA file once to deliver better than CD-quality. The first unfold recovers all the direct music-related information. Output is 88.2kHz or 96kHz. When a USB DAC is connected that implements an MQA renderer, further unfolding can be done by the DAC.

When a DAC is detected that implements an MQA decoder (for example, the Meridian Explorer 2 or the DAC inside certain LG models), the MQA decoder inside USB Audio Player PRO is deactivated and MQA decoding is performed by the hardware. No green or blue led will be displayed in the app in this situation.

Link to the article: https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/mqa

I think that’s why the MQA indicator disappeared in the M11Pro. The M11Pro DAC itself is now completely unfold MQA files. I hope I'm right.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #3,955 of 6,156
When a DAC is detected that implements an MQA decoder (for example, the Meridian Explorer 2 or the DAC inside certain LG models), the MQA decoder inside USB Audio Player PRO is deactivated and MQA decoding is performed by the hardware. No green or blue led will be displayed in the app in this situation.

Finally, our DAPs are living up to the promise made by Fiio half year ago. Well done!

Excellent, no need for dead pixels like dots then!
unfolded kraftwerk.png

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #3,956 of 6,156
Actually you're right. Got this confirmed by UAPP in an email received earlier today:
<<Thank you for contacting us. That's simply because we cannot query the
decoder's state since the decoding is not done in UAPP anymore.>>

Found a description of MQA in UAPP. It says the following:

When the app is playing and decoding MQA, either the green ('MQA') or blue ('MQA Studio') light will be displayed right next to the MQA logo in the current song and mini player display. This denotes provenance to ensure that the sound is identical to that of the source material. ‘‘MQA Studio’ indicates it is playing an MQA Studio file, which has either been approved in the studio by the artist/producer or has been verified by the copyright owner.

USB Audio Player Pro includes MQA Core technology, which unfolds the MQA file once to deliver better than CD-quality. The first unfold recovers all the direct music-related information. Output is 88.2kHz or 96kHz. When a USB DAC is connected that implements an MQA renderer, further unfolding can be done by the DAC.

I think that’s why the MQA indicator disappeared in the M11Pro. The M11Pro DAC itself is now completely unfold MQA files. I hope I'm right.

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #3,957 of 6,156
What's interesting is even if you turn bit perfect off, it still seems like it's doing the unfold? On both FiiO M15 and HiBy R5 I have it set to display the sample rate on the notification bar. Turn off bit perfect and hit play. UAPP has an indication that says "MQA requires: Bit-perfect enabled" but the sample rate still shows 352.8K or 384K and in the case of R5, the LED still turns yellow for MQA. Should this be happening?

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #3,958 of 6,156
What's interesting is even if you turn bit perfect off, it still seems like it's doing the unfold? On both FiiO M15 and HiBy R5 I have it set to display the sample rate on the notification bar. Turn off bit perfect and hit play. UAPP has an indication that says "MQA requires: Bit-perfect enabled" but the sample rate still shows 352.8K or 384K and in the case of R5, the LED still turns yellow for MQA. Should this be happening?
The description for the new version of UAPP does not mention hiby r5. Perhaps UAPP has not yet been adapted for r5.
11257833.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #3,959 of 6,156
Regarding no blue or green dot for MQA on FiiO M11 Pro: this makes sense to me now after reading the posts above that confirm UAPP is no longer doing the first unfold (decoding) on some FiiO players. The app is instead passing the bit-perfect compressed MQA stream to the M11 Pro; the M11 Pro is doing both decoding and rendering duties now, so it’s up to the FiiO player to verify the MQA as either MQA or MQA Studio (in other words, since UAPP can’t confirm the FiiO processing is correct, it has no obligation to show a blue or green dot, FiiO does, and they should but it in the Android status bar next to the *correct* MQA Original Sampling Rate).

However, note: the “Direct” value UAPP reports (and the sample rate in the Android status bar on FiiO beta firmware) is not accurate for MQA playback from UAPP. These values are always 8-times (8x) the received rate of the compressed file. Remember, TIDAL only streams two kinds of MQA files: those encoded/compressed/folded as 44.1k/24bit and those at 48k/24. So all 44.1k/24 MQA files from TIDAL will show up as Direct: 352.8 in UAPP (with 352.8 showing in FiiO’s Android status bar, if you have that turned on). Conversely, 48k/24 MQA streams from TIDAL will show as Direct: 384 in UAPP and the Status bar. *BUT* there are very few MQA tracks that should be rendered to 352.8k or 384k; you should only render up to the Original Sampling Frequency stored in the metadata of the MQA stream.

Play a bunch of TIDAL MQA tracks on an MQA-capable desktop DAC that reports full original sampling rate on its LCD display or via LED lights, and then play those same tracks on a FiiO player with the newest beta using UAPP. The desktop DAC will show original studio sampling rates from the following valid set (note: this is for TIDAL MQA tracks, since the MQA standard can do other SR/bit combinations): 44.1k/24, 48k/24, 88.2k/24, 96k/24 176.4k/24, 192k/24, 352.8/24, and 384/24). Now, on the FiiO player, all tracks will either be 8x44.1k (352.8) or 8x48k (384k), based on whether the undecoded MQA stream received is at 44.1k or 48k compression, even if they showed on the desktop DAC as, for example, 96k or 192k . You will never see that correct 192k in the FiiO status bar (or Direct: xxx line in UAPP) for an authenticated MQA Studio file that had an original studio sampling rate of 192k prior to MQA processing (with 192k Original Sampling Frequency stored in the metadata); ditto for the other rates, because the FiiO beta firmware is just doing 8x unfolding on everything. Not that it matters: the 2x decode to 88.2k or 96k contains all the important music data; the subsequent “rendering” up to original sampling rate is just some proprietary MQA filtering tech (a bunch of custom minimum-phase filters) that doesn’t add much, if anything, audible. But, it would be nice to see the correct original studio rate, and the blue or green dot confirming they did all the rendering according to the licensed MQA specs, displayed somewhere (like the status bar).

Cheers,
Gus

Jun 19, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #3,960 of 6,156
Another thing I found with the new UAPP and FiiO M11 Pro beta firmware:

I was playing a TIDAL curated playlist that had some MQA tracks and some non-MQA CD-quality tracks. Sometimes the reported “Direct” sample rate (and the matching value shown in the Android status bar) stayed on the MQA 8x number instead of changing to 44.1k for CD-quality, non-MQA tracks. Hitting the previous-track button to restart the song would get the display to show the correct value though. That indicates to me that the FiiO software sometimes gets stuck using MQA filters on non-MQA tracks. Some desktop DACs are known to do this too. Thankfully, the FiiO appears to snap out of it with a restart of the track.

Cheers,
Gus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back