USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Jun 7, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #3,901 of 6,142
Yup there are some slight changes to the sound when i try changing some of the equalizer preset.So that mean the G8x default player is not playing bit-perfect

Most probably. Try to repeat the same steps with your V30+ about equalizer presets and it will not let you do so. Kindly confirm.

Jun 7, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #3,902 of 6,142
1st is V30+ 2nd G8x.Notice the measage at the bottom.
On V30+ cant use EQ.On G8x cant use the Pitch & Speed setting.

Attachments

• IMG_20200607_162334_108.jpg
    IMG_20200607_162334_108.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture+_2020-06-07-16-22-16.png
    Capture+_2020-06-07-16-22-16.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Jun 7, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #3,903 of 6,142
1st is V30+ 2nd G8x.Notice the measage at the bottom.
On V30+ cant use EQ.On G8x cant use the Pitch & Speed setting.

Now I have doubts when in G8X during DSD playback you can change preset equalizers and perceive changes in sound signature. That was not possible with V30+.

But one thing stands, Android 10 has nothing to do with native DSD playback with inbuilt smartphone DACs. I have the Vivo NEX S running on Android 10 and have no issues with native DSD playback.

http://eng.soomal.com/edoc/10100000237.htm

Like my V30+, the NEX also have two DACs:

1) HiFi Enabled: Cirrus Logic CS43199: Support for DSD64
2) HiFi Disabled: Qualcomm Aqstic WCD9340: No support for DSD playback

In NEX there is a dedicated DSD enable switch in sound settings. If that switch is disabled and I play DSD64, DSD128, DSD256 files, all files will be converted to PCM by the default music player and get played. I can even toggle between HiFi enable/ disable modes now as both DACs supports PCM playback upto 384kHz and change between varoius preset equilizers. But if I enable the DSD switch, and then play DSD using default music player:

DSD64: DSD logo shows up on notification bar, and raw DSD64 is fed straight to CS43199. As WCD9340 does not support DSD, HiFi enable/ disable toggle gets disabled. Also no equalizer is allowed or any sound effects.

DSD128: HiFi logo is shown instead, DSD to PCM converted by the player and send to the DAC. CS43199 has no support for DSD128.

DSD256: HiFi logo is shown instead, DSD to PCM converted by the player and send to the DAC. CS43199 has no support for DSD256.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #3,904 of 6,142
I have doubts now when you say in G8X during DSD playback you can change preset equalizers and perceive changes in sound signature. That was not possible with V30+.

But one thing stands, Android 10 has nothing to do with native DSD playback with the inbuilt smartphone DACs. I have the Vivo NEX S running on Android 10 and have no issues with native DSD playback.

Like my V30+, the NEX also have two DACs:

1) HiFi Enabled: Cirrus Logic CS43199: Support for DSD64
2) HiFi Disabled: Qualcomm Aqstic WCD9340: No support for DSD playback

In NEX there is a dedicated DSD enable switch in sound settings. If that switch is disabled and I play DSD64, DSD128, DSD256 files, all files will be converted to PCM by the default music player and get played. I can even toggle between HiFi enable/ disable modes now as both DACs supports PCM playback upto 384kHz and change between varoius preset equilizers. But if I enable the DSD switch, and then play DSD using default music player:

DSD64: DSD logo shows up on notification bar, and raw DSD64 is fed straight to CS43199. As WCD9340 does not support DSD, HiFi enable/ disable toggle gets disabled. Also no equalizer is allowed or any sound effects.

DSD128: HiFi logo is shown instead, DSD to PCM converted by the player and send to the DAC. CS43199 has no support for DSD128.

DSD256: HiFi logo is shown instead, DSD to PCM converted by the player and send to the DAC. CS43199 has no support for DSD256.
But the G8x default player is showing DSD64/128 playing and not able to access the pitch and speed setting as in the photo attached.if play normal flac i can access all the setting available.And why i can play native dsd over Uapp in android 9 and not android 10?

Jun 7, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #3,905 of 6,142
But the G8x default player is showing DSD64/128 playing and not able to access the pitch and speed setting as in the photo attached.if play normal flac i can access all the setting available.And why i can play native dsd over Uapp in android 9 and not android 10?

Lets consolidate the findings on LG G8X:

DSD playback on Android 10 using LG's QuadDAC:

1) DSD logo shown on default music app, proper file recognition is taking place
2) On the default music app, able to change preset equalizers (Pop, Rock, Jazz) during playback, hearing perceived sound signature differences with equalizers.
3) Default music app showing "Pitch and speed are unavailable for high resolution audio files"

Another G8X user from other forum confirmed below points during DSD playback on Android 9 using LG's QuadDAC:

2) On the default music app, able to change preset equalizers (Pop, Rock, Jazz) during playback, hearing NO perceived sound signature differences with equalizers. Please confirm from your side.
3) ? Please confirm from your side.

Jun 7, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #3,906 of 6,142
Lets consolidate the findings on LG G8X:

DSD playback on Android 10 using LG's QuadDAC:

2) On the default music app, able to change preset equalizers (Pop, Rock, Jazz) during playback, hearing perceived sound signature differences with equalizers.
3) Default music app showing "Pitch and speed are unavailable for high resolution audio files"

Another G8X user from other forum confirmed below points during DSD playback on Android 9 using LG's QuadDAC:

2) On the default music app, able to change preset equalizers (Pop, Rock, Jazz) during playback, hearing NO perceived sound signature differences with equalizers. Please confirm from your side.
3) ? Please confirm from your side.
G8x Android 10

Jun 7, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #3,907 of 6,142
G8x Android 10

I asked for confirmation from your side about android 9 since you have the experience of using g8x with 9

Jun 7, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #3,909 of 6,142
Oh...sorry,if i remember correctly it did change the sound signature when changing the EQ pre-set on Android 9 too

So according to you, the nature of LG music app while native DSD playback using QuadDac have not changed a bit from Android 9 to 10 transition. Then why so much fuss about loss of native dsd playback support on Android 10?

You are using a LG phone, your reference should be LG default music app and not some third party app.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #3,910 of 6,142
So according to you, the nature of LG music app while native DSD playback using QuadDac have not changed a bit from Android 9 to 10 transition. Then why so much fuss about loss of native dsd playback support on Android 10?

You are using a LG phone, your reference should be LG default music app and not some third party app.
Because i am not getting native playback from uapp thats what i am referring to in the first place.

Jun 7, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #3,912 of 6,142
@Jas69 and @RishiGuru: Just to make sure you are aware of it, this subject of MQA being lost on V60 (LG's choice) and DoP being lost since V50 (due to Android 10) has been discussed extensively in other threads, both on Head-Fi and XDA. For example, check the link below, including the quote from Davy (UAPP dev) and the discussion around that.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...pdated-jan-2020.853115/page-226#post-15571335

Again, I just want to make sure you were aware of the information already out there.

Jun 7, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #3,913 of 6,142
@Jas69 and @RishiGuru: Just to make sure you are aware of it, this subject of MQA being lost on V60 (LG's choice) and DoP being lost since V50 (due to Android 10) has been discussed extensively in other threads, both on Head-Fi and XDA. For example, check the link below, including the quote from Davy (UAPP dev) and the discussion around that.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...pdated-jan-2020.853115/page-226#post-15571335

Again, I just want to make sure you were aware of the information already out there.

We were speaking of native DSD playback through internal DAC and not DoP or MQA support.

Jun 7, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #3,914 of 6,142
We were speaking of native DSD playback through internal DAC and not DoP or MQA support.

I understand, I've read your discussion. Once again, many of your discoveries have been discussed (and discovered) before, such as in the thread I linked (including a response from the UAPP dev) and also on XDA. I was merely quoting a tiny snippet. Of course completely up to you if you want to read it.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #3,915 of 6,142
I understand, I've read your discussion. Once again, many of your discoveries have been discussed (and discovered) before, such as in the thread I linked (including a response from the UAPP dev) and also on XDA. I was merely quoting a tiny snippet. Of course completely up to you if you want to read it.
Because i am not getting native playback from uapp thats what i am referring to in the first place.

For both Android 9 & 10, LG's default music app is showing identical behavior for native DSD playback while using inbuilt QuadDAC:

1) DSD logo shown on default music app, proper file recognition is taking place.
2) On the default music app, we are able to change preset equalizers (Pop, Rock, Jazz) during playback, while hearing perceived sound signature differences with different equalizer presets.
3) During native DSD playback, we are unable to change pitch & speed of the song. It shows "Pitch and speed are unavailable for high resolution audio files"

The above behaviors are confirmed by two G8X users.

Conclusion:

1) I believe on Android 10, native DSD playback runs just fine with no DSD to PCM conversion in the "LG default music app TO QuadDAC TO audio jack" audio chain.

2) USB Audio Player (UAPP) as the name suggests is completely devoted to audio through USB port, mainly targeting use of external DACs & amps. This is where DoP comes into picture. UAPP on Android 10 is unable to send DSD as DoP over USB-C port, hence they are referring "DSD/DoP support is not present in Android 10"

I have Vivo NEX S running on Android 10 and have no issues with native DSD playback using default music player and the inbuilt DAC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back