USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Apr 25, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #3,736 of 6,156
By the way, I'm looking for a capable phone that can stream high bit depth and sampling rate to a DAC. It sounds like LG phones are it. I don't believe my Samsung is capable.
I don't know why you think your Samsung phone is not capable. But your questions are quite confusing, it is not clear if you are asking "when using the UAPP app" can xyz phone stream high bit death sample rate...?

The answer is of course yes, that's the whole point of UAPP, and I'm betting your Samsung phone can in fact do it. I have a Galaxy S7, using UAPP it can transmit 24/192 over an OTG cable to an external USB DAC, no problem. Ditto an older Moto X, same thing, and it does work with USB C ports assuming the correct OTG cable, for instance my tablet has a type C port and it too (when using UAPP) can transmit 24/192 to an external DAC with the correct OTG cable.

Why don't you just try your Samsung phone instead of assume you need something different? The key is use of UAPP, not the phone. The phone need only be OTG enabled, in other words it needs to be able to operate in USB host mode. Any phone that can operate in USB host mode should work perfectly well with UAPP and an external DAC.

Apr 25, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #3,739 of 6,156
I don't know why you think your Samsung phone is not capable. But your questions are quite confusing, it is not clear if you are asking "when using the UAPP app" can xyz phone stream high bit death sample rate...?

The answer is of course yes, that's the whole point of UAPP, and I'm betting your Samsung phone can in fact do it. I have a Galaxy S7, using UAPP it can transmit 24/192 over an OTG cable to an external USB DAC, no problem. Ditto an older Moto X, same thing, and it does work with USB C ports assuming the correct OTG cable, for instance my tablet has a type C port and it too (when using UAPP) can transmit 24/192 to an external DAC with the correct OTG cable.

Why don't you just try your Samsung phone instead of assume you need something different? The key is use of UAPP, not the phone. The phone need only be OTG enabled, in other words it needs to be able to operate in USB host mode. Any phone that can operate in USB host mode should work perfectly well with UAPP and an external DAC.
I have a Note 9, and i can assure you that it easily sends 24/192 hi-res and better via UAPP, Neutron, etc. Heck, even my Xperia X compact sends hi-res to my Q5, and that handset is a couple of years old now. In this circumstance, its down to the software and the external dac/amp connected. If the phone supports the player, then you're only limited by what your external dac/amp can support

Apr 25, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #3,740 of 6,156
I have about 100000 tracks! Can tagging be automated?
I'll have a look at AssetUPnP. I have Foobar2000 on my laptop - I didn't know it could act as a server.
Auto tagging?! I use TagScanner and it really works well for me..you gotta put in some love mate... thats what the hobby is all about. :)
Foobar2000 has plugins to enable DLNA.. look at AssetUPNP too.

Apr 25, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #3,741 of 6,156
I have a Note 9, and i can assure you that it easily sends 24/192 hi-res and better via UAPP

You are assuring SilverEars, not me, I need no assurances!
In this circumstance, its down to the software and the external dac/amp connected. If the phone supports the player, then you're only limited by what your external dac/amp can support
Correct and even something as ancient as an LG G2 also has no problem, nor will any other handset or tablet that has USB host mode capability, the correct OTG cable, and compatible external USB DAC.

SilverEars seemed to be implying there was something special about LG phones in this regard, which is not accurate at all but probably something a salesperson uttered in their overly ambitious BS take on LG phones, and their mythical/magical MQA compatibility.

There is nothing magical or unique about LG phones.
Exactly.

Apr 25, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #3,742 of 6,156
Of course, Samsung and Huawei phones can output bit-perfect Hi-Res via UAPP. There is nothing magical or unique about LG phones.

I don't believe anybody has said anything to the contrary.

The only thing unique about the LG phones is that they put a high-end ESS Sabre DAC in them. Its software implementation leaves something to be desired, but when used properly (such as with UAPP) and with good headphones/IEMs, it sounds pretty great. Also, V30 and newer have hardware MQA decoding and rendering, supported by the Tidal app and by UAPP.

Of course none of that matters when using an external DAC.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #3,743 of 6,156
Let's see if anyone can help me with this decision.

At the moment I'm using my old LG G5 with B&O hifi dac module, to play Qobuz (about to run out) and tidal (have another 4 months left) through UAPP to decent amp, to my magnepans. Pretty happy with the music quality in qobuz, but have two issues: 1. Every time the phone loses connection with WiFi, the whole playlist gets lost and I have to reselect the playlist. 2. No MQA support. Curiously wondering what I might be missing out on.

So at the moment I'm in two minds about which direction to go from the following options:

Option A: Get a used LG V30 and use this with UAPP. Advantage is full MQA support (right? Or am I mistaken?). Disadvantage, will I still have the WiFi reliability issue? Do I want to risk having the same problem again. Plus, is the sound quality on the V30 better than G5 hifi dac? Anyone ever compared the two?

Option B: Buy an official android TV box, use a ztella MQA dac to play through UAPP. Advantage is Internet reliability over ethernet (tried it at a friends and works like a charm). Another advantage is that full MQA is guaranteed to work. Disadvantages: inferior sound quality of the ztella dac compared to the v30 dac? (am I right?)

I was wondering what your thoughts are? Anyone has any experience with any of the above? Anyone who can really tell how the ztella compares to the v30 dac?

Apr 26, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #3,744 of 6,156
You are assuring SilverEars, not me, I need no assurances!

Correct and even something as ancient as an LG G2 also has no problem, nor will any other handset or tablet that has USB host mode capability, the correct OTG cable, and compatible external USB DAC.

SilverEars seemed to be implying there was something special about LG phones in this regard, which is not accurate at all but probably something a salesperson uttered in their overly ambitious BS take on LG phones, and their mythical/magical MQA compatibility.

Exactly.
Ha-Ha, i apologise. It was late last night... Lol.
But you're right. If we're talking phones only, then im sure the LG V series have very good built-in dacs, but using apps like UAPP, Neutron, etc with external dac/amps, the whole point is for the software to bypass any possible OS limitations. Meaning that the phone is essentially just a carrier, and the sound quality is purely dictated by the dac/amp.

Apr 26, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #3,745 of 6,156

That's good to know. I have an S8, but wasn't sure if it was capable or not. Have you verified this and confirm with an external DAC that can indicate this or is there spec that are put out stating that the data connection is at least 24/192 capable? Can you link it to me for S7 or S8? I just need to see official confirmed evidence of this.

I was actually looking this up, but information out there isn't as obvious as the LG phones. Matter a fact, LG phones put out 24/192 data connection before Samsung.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #3,746 of 6,156
Auto tagging?! I use TagScanner and it really works well for me..you gotta put in some love mate... thats what the hobby is all about. :)

It's a few years since I tried tagging software and it didn't seem to work then, but I shall try out TagScanner thank you.
I have installed the UPnP server plugin for Foobar2000 and it works nicely. Also, I can shuffle using Foobar Remote and send the stream to UAPP. Happy days!

For anyone else annoyed about the lack of bit perfect output in the Amazon Music app, please let the developers know at:

digital-music-android-feedback@amazon.com

Apr 26, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #3,747 of 6,156
@Exelzor

Add a wifi extender/router to the mix?

Apr 26, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #3,748 of 6,156
My favourite tagging software (by far) is mp3tag - https://www.mp3tag.de/

Has helped me a lot with my more than 275k files in the recent years... 😃

Apr 26, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #3,750 of 6,156
Yes, I have a DAC with LED sample rate indicator, but beyond that, UAPP will display in it's UI both the native sample rate of the track, and the sample rate the DAC is playing. Unlike some other less reputable apps, this one doesn't lie, the UI displays the correct information, every time in my experience.

You are FAR too suspicious and doubtful of this, the UAPP app has been the gold standard for many years, and the capability you are describing is nothing at all new or novel, nor open to any big debate. Just drop the $9 and you have the best Android app for native sample rate playback using an external USB DAC.

Once again, the key points regarding compatibility are simply this: phone can operate in USB host mode, and you have the proper OTG cable, and a compatible DAC. Thats it, if you have those 3 things, you can play 24/192 and beyond using UAPP.

UAPP will even play back DSD128 (5.6mHz) natively, so long as the DAC supports it. So 24/192 is not the limit, the highest PCM sample rate I have tested is 352.8 kHz, because I don't have any PCM tracks with anything higher than that, but if I did, I'd bet they work too, so long as it is a sample rate that is actually supported by the DAC.

For proof, nobody but you should Google the specs for your S8, to see if it is USB host mode capable (Hint: it most certainly is). Try it, Google search the following: Galaxy S8 USB host mode.

So you have an S8 and it is compatible, but which USB DAC do you currently have? Some DACs have lousy firmware that can cause a problem, but which DAC are you going to use? Do you have a known to work Type C OTG cable or adapter?

That last bit has actually been troublesome for some people, the cheapest most generic eBay OTG cable sometimes won't work, hardly surprising, but not all generic cables are garbage, only some of them.

For peace of mind and not waiting forever for an eBay shipment from China, you can certainly use an Amazon sold product such as the Cable Creations OTG, or even the iFi OTG, depending on which DAC you have, and what kind of USB input it has.

My S7 has a microUSB port, but I do have a Galaxy Tab A tablet that does have a Type C port just like your S8. That is not an expensive tablet. It works well with UAPP and an external USB DAC using the Cable Creations OTG cable:

The app works bro, assuming you have a compatible DAC and OTG cable. If you don't, then this is much ado about nothing.
If you confirmed it with indicator lights on the DAC, that's evident enough (that is, if you have seen it light up with the sampling rate I've asked about). It's also good news that I do not need to get another device. Both my DACs take in usb input. One of them takes in micro USB, and the other usb-B connection, from usb-C on my phone. I just need to get the right cables for them to try. I need to order one from Amazon to try out.

I'm interested in using with my Schiit DAC, but it doesn't output any sort of indicators of the sampling rate. However, it will sound a relay sound (or something) when sampling rate changes. So, I no evidence of S8 outputting 24/192. I would have been sure if there was an official statement some where.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back