USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Feb 22, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #3,481 of 6,156
You need a certified MQA DAC Rendered / Full Decoder to avail the full resolution.
As @m-i-c-k-e-y replied, the MQA software add-on is only allowed to perform 1st unfold, whereas an MQA hardware renderer is required for 2nd unfold, that's why you get only half the listed sample rate. V30 and newer LG phones have full hardware MQA -- they don't even need the UAPP add-on. I would add, though, that the 1st unfold is by far the most significant as far as adding audio quality. 2nd unfold is very subtle.

Also known as minimum phase upsampling to 192kHz, with a leaky filter that causes ultrasonic imaging. Absolutely nothing special or desirable there at all, in fact many feel it sounds better without this "2nd unfold".

Still others seem to parrot the notion of a super special top secret 3rd unfold going on in a full decode Renderer, which is complete and total over the top hogwash.

Of course, other's mileage may vary, and that's fine too. However this piece from 2017 sums it up quite well, and there has never been any credible response to the contrary, at all by anyone.

When I play them in UAPP the play status says only 96khz is being output. See my screenshot below. Does this seem right?

Don't lose any sleep over that, it's meaningless fake upsampled 192kHz, not the native sample rate. In fact, 96kHz is also not the native sample rate, rather, it is 48kHz.

Feb 22, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #3,482 of 6,156
Also known as minimum phase upsampling to 192kHz, with a leaky filter that causes ultrasonic imaging. Absolutely nothing special or desirable there at all, in fact many feel it sounds better without this "2nd unfold".

Still others seem to parrot the notion of a super special top secret 3rd unfold going on in a full decode Renderer, which is complete and total over the top hogwash.

Of course, other's mileage may vary, and that's fine too. However this piece from 2017 sums it up quite well, and there has never been any credible response to the contrary, at all by anyone.

Don't lose any sleep over that, it's meaningless fake upsampled 192kHz, not the native sample rate. In fact, 96kHz is also not the native sample rate, rather, it is 48kHz.

From what I've read over the last few years MQA is nothing more than a gimmick. Nonetheless, I purchased the $4 add-on out of curiosity. I was underwhelmed to say the least. Qobuz Hi Res files sound noticeably better in side to side comparison and there's far less MQA albums available compared to true Hi Res albums at Qobuz.

Thanks to everyone for explaining how MQA worked on the V20.

Feb 22, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #3,483 of 6,156
Does anyone here utilize the UPnP/DLNA capabilities of UAPP? Because I ran into a problem. I'm using my PC as a server with Foobar v1.4.8 and the foo_unnp component. UAPP sees my Foobar server and files begin to play normally...until I reach about the 16 minute point of long Bruckner symphony files at which point the audio turns to loud white noise. It scared the crap out of me last night when I had Karajan's Bruckner 9th Adagio playing and all of sudden the music switched to white noise. This problem affects more than one album. The Karajan files are both over 900Mbin size (24/192) and a Haitink file is over 500Mb in size (24/96).

Now these same exact files stream fine and dandy when using the official android Foobar Mobile app. But I rather use UAPP just to be sure that I'm bypassing the android audio stack and any resampling that may entail. I have not read any confirmation that the Foobar Mobile app plays bit-perfect on my LG V20 and at least one person has previously tested the Foobar app in late 2016 and found it only played local stored 24/192 files at 44.1khz but maybe things have changed since then.

If anyone knows of any solution to this Foobar UPnP Server>>UAPP please let me know. My settings for the foo-upnp seem correct and I haven't changed any of the UAPP network settings aside from increasing buffering from the default 15sec to 20sec.

2020-02-22_182341.jpg

Feb 22, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #3,484 of 6,156
I've listened to that one on Tidal, and do like it. Reference Recordings don't publish HiRes on Tidal, but I'll take their 16/44 over most HiRes/MQA releases anyway. Admittedly, I don't listen to Shosta symphonies as much as I used to. I had some intense Shosta-years back in the 1980s-90s, particularly after Denon released their phenomenal Inbal/Vienna Shosta cycle (same era as their famous Inbal/Frankfurt Mahler cycle). I'm still a sucker for Shosta #12, Violin concerto and Piano/Trumpet concerto. (Alright, OT off for good. I promise.)

Honeck's recent Bruckner 9th sounds amazing in 24/192.

Feb 23, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #3,485 of 6,156
Today I’ve been trying for several hours to output sound to an external DAC (Chord Qutest) through the USB interface. All my experiments have shown that DSD is not directly transmitted at all,

I'm not sure qutest supports DSD - even if it does via DOP, it internally resamples the stream back to PCM inside the DAC prior to analog conversion. Chord doesn't believe in the merits of DSD and optimizes their DACs for PCM. If you have a DSD track, you're better off converting it to PCM with good resampling software on a computer prior to sending it to a Chord DAC.

PCM of any sampling frequency (from 44.1 up to 384), as well as DSD with conversion to PCM, is output to the DAC only with 96 kHz parameters

This leads me to believe that the UAPP driver isn't working, and android audio stack is handling the USB audio. Though I'm not 100% certain.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #3,486 of 6,156
I'm not sure qutest supports DSD - even if it does via DOP, it internally resamples the stream back to PCM inside the DAC prior to analog conversion. Chord doesn't believe in the merits of DSD and optimizes their DACs for PCM. If you have a DSD track, you're better off converting it to PCM with good resampling software on a computer prior to sending it to a Chord DAC.
The Qutest receives and processes the DSD stream up to 512, and the PCM stream up to 768. This happens from the computer without any problems. How it works inside the DAC - in this case, we are not interested.
The question is that the UAPP does not output the DSD to either the internal DAC of the DAP or the external DAC via the USB interface.

I emailed the log file to the developer. I hope that this helps to understand the problem and fix it.

This leads me to believe that the UAPP driver isn't working, and android audio stack is handling the USB audio. Though I'm not 100% certain.

I tried absolutely all the settings options. "Android audio" is not active.
I would be interested if any of the Hiby R6 Pro owners tried to output the PCM digital stream with various sample frequency options to an external DAC, which has an indication of the parameters of the incoming signal. Perhaps this is just my DAP has such problems.

Feb 23, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #3,488 of 6,156
Is there a better way of knowing whether bit perfect in enabled on the main play screen?

Feb 23, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #3,489 of 6,156
Anybody here use UAPP with Qobuz?

I just switched from Tidal hi-fi to Qobuz premier as my source.... And it's really Annoying you have to construct your favourites from scratch. Also, the remove option is missing for customisation in qobuz..... I accidentally added a few wrong items to my New favorites lists and now I can't delete them!

Thanks.

Feb 23, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #3,490 of 6,156
Anybody here use UAPP with Qobuz?

I just switched from Tidal hi-fi to Qobuz premier as my source.... And it's really Annoying you have to construct your favourites from scratch. Also, the remove option is missing for customisation in qobuz..... I accidentally added a few wrong items to my New favorites lists and now I can't delete them!

Thanks.
I'm using UAPP and Qobuz' favorites carried over once I logged in.

Feb 23, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #3,491 of 6,156
I'm using UAPP and Qobuz' favorites carried over once I logged in.

I think he means switching from Tidal as his streaming provider to Qobuz and the favorites not persisting in UAPP under Qobuz. The user preferences live within the streaming service, not UAPP. You can use a service like Soundiiz to transfer your favorites, playlists, etc. between services.

Feb 23, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #3,492 of 6,156
Is there a better way of knowing whether bit perfect in enabled on the main play screen?
Tap the icon with three bars on it (to the left of the three dots). It should read ‘Bit Perfect Mode’ atop the section with all the toggles.

Feb 23, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #3,493 of 6,156
I think he means switching from Tidal as his streaming provider to Qobuz and the favorites not persisting in UAPP under Qobuz. The user preferences live within the streaming service, not UAPP. You can use a service like Soundiiz to transfer your favorites, playlists, etc. between services.
Favorites within Qobuz? Or is he wanting the app to transfer his favorites from the Tidal app to the Qobuz app? If so that will be difficult as they have different catalogs.

Feb 24, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #3,494 of 6,156
Yes, exactly this.

I never use the original app, be it tidal or qobuz....I only operate UAPP.

I shall look into soundiiz, thanks.

Feb 24, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #3,495 of 6,156
Ah, I needed to go to the web browser to be able to delete.

Adding items also much easier there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back