USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Feb 7, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #3,436 of 6,145
@Davy Wentzler

Hi Davy, I have rooted and installed full Google Play / Services on the Acoustic Research M2 followed by installing the latest UAPP from Play Store :L3000:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aco...le-grade-hi-res-portable.754114/post-15455646
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aco...le-grade-hi-res-portable.754114/post-15455923
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aco...le-grade-hi-res-portable.754114/post-15456279

I know you guys did the AR branded UAPP for this awesome DAP with full Hi-Res DAC support. Is there any chance of adding this functionality into the standard UAPP to bypass Android SRC :L3000:

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #3,438 of 6,145
I hear a pop when skipping track or moving to next song under uapp with dx228 dap. Is this normal or am I only one having issue.
Quite annoying otherwise uapp sounds real good with bit perfect. Can anyone share?

Feb 9, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #3,439 of 6,145
I hear a pop when skipping track or moving to next song under uapp with dx228 dap. Is this normal or am I only one having issue.
Quite annoying otherwise uapp sounds real good with bit perfect. Can anyone share?
i do hear it too, something to do with android itself i think

Feb 9, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #3,440 of 6,145
i do hear it too, something to do with android itself i think

I realized this is happening when switching between different bitrate. For instance, playing 16bit flac and skip to 24bit flac or to dsd, etc. This isnt happening with neutron so I am sure it can be fixed. Will uapp will fix it or can they fix it, would be the real question.

Feb 9, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #3,441 of 6,145
Ok--I'll apologize in advance--I haven't read the entire thread! But I want to ask a question.
I'll introduce myself. My name is Mike Arnopol. I'm a professionsl jazz bassist and speaker designer. I've played on many recordings (including two Grammy winners) (most of the Patricia Barber stuff)And have toured around the world for most of my life. I stopped touring 10 years ago and started a business designing and manufacturing high end speakers for bassists. I've always been an audiophile. Ten years ago I was asked to be a beta tester for the JH13's. I've been so busy with speakers that I wasn't listening to much music. I got the head-fi bug and purchased a pair of Tansio Mirai 3 Pro's as well as Audeze LCD i3's. I also got a Zorloo Ztella MQA as well as a Monoprice Monolith THX DAC and a Xduoo XD05s. Don't tell my wife. I listen to music now all day while I'm working.

Ok--my question. I'm using Uapp for the first time. I got the Ztella first and was a dummy and just plugged it in and fired it up. Sounded good. Then in a stroke of genius I decided to download the instructions as how to use it. Oh---there's a thing called "bit perfect". Got the setup CORRECT and fired it up with the Ztella into the Tansai's. HOLY CRAP!!! Amazing. Downloaded the MQA app. DOUBLE HOLY CRAP!!!
I listen to a lot of early stereo jazz recordings. Many are mixed really stupid. I'm listening to Bill Evans at the Village Vanguard with Scott LaFaro. Fantastic sound. But---the bass is panned hard left and the piano hard right. Many early stereo recordings are this was. So--the cross-fading is really a godsend. But it doesn't work with bit perfect. If I'm not in bit-perfect mode does that mean that the signal is being processed by the Android filters and an analog signal is being sent to the DAC? (my phone is a One Plus 7 Pro). Or is it converted to analog by the uapp to send to headphones via the USB C jack? Or if a DAC is connected to the phone (not in bit perfect mode) does UAPP see it and send the unprocessed digital signal to the DAC?
The parametric that I got for the Uapp is really useful. But I don't want an Android processed signal going out.What's the reason for a DAC unless it's seeing the digital signal to process?
I'm sure these are REALLY dumb questions, but I'd appreciate y'all to enlighten me.Thanks.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #3,443 of 6,145
@mikejazz

This was Davy's (developer) words way back...

What is bitperfect?
"It means that the audio that is present in the audio file is sent unaffected to the DAC. Of course this does not apply to compressed audio, like mp3, but holds for wav and flac and other lossless audio.
Without the bit-perfect option enabled, all audio that is read from the file is converted to 32-bit floating point and then converted to the appropriate 16/24/32 bit integer format when sending to the DAC (after optional processing that you chose like EQ, balance, upsampling). This leads to an error for about 20 or so out of 16.7 million values that are 1 bit 'off'. Although you wouldn't hear that amplitude change, it might distort high frequency content a little. Most people won't hear it though."

Feb 10, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #3,444 of 6,145
Thanks so much. So---when you use eq and crossfeed in Uapp and send it to your DAC you're still sending a digital signal to be decoded---it's not going through Android decoding, right? Just a digital signal from Uapp?

Feb 11, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #3,445 of 6,145
In a word, YES. UAPP replaces ASL (Android Sound Layer) as your phone's customized sound engine and sends all digital data to your DAC to be decoded as analog audio.

Feb 11, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #3,446 of 6,145
Do you guys use any streamers or at a Bluetooth receiver to your dac/Amp (if not portable)? I'm looking to push from uapp to a Bluetooth receiver to my rme adi-2 dac, I don't want to loose much fidelity, but for discovering music on streaming app it's great. Anyone know of an affordable yet competent Bluetooth receiver that is bells and whistle free?

Feb 11, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #3,447 of 6,145
Do you guys use any streamers or at a Bluetooth receiver to your dac/Amp (if not portable)? I'm looking to push from uapp to a Bluetooth receiver to my rme adi-2 dac, I don't want to loose much fidelity, but for discovering music on streaming app it's great. Anyone know of an affordable yet competent Bluetooth receiver that is bells and whistle free?
Maybe check out the Fiio BTR5

Feb 11, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #3,448 of 6,145
Shanling UP2/UP4

Feb 12, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #3,449 of 6,145
Looking for honest 1st hand bases experience here.... My question in short is:

I don't see a trial version of UAPP in the google app store. Should I pay $8 for UAPP if I had a negative experience with streaming music from my Note 8 using the Neutron player using it's high rez USB driver? Will UAPP indeed 'better' it? Honestly.

Why I ask.

Just got an E1DA PowerDAC V2. Very impressed with it when fed music from Roon, -both-

1. fed from a Windows 10 micro (arm based) PC (which didnt do any resampling)
2. or from the Roon remote app running on my Note 8 (where Roon does resample everything to 48kHz).

The two sounded nearly identical: dynamic, engaging, powerful bass, sizzling highs, clean detail everywhere ... all the superlatives.

So, I loaded up the Note 8 with my 163 songs currently on my favorite tracks playlist, so that I can take it with me (as roon is tied to only home use). I started Neutron and set it up for hi rez streaming. However, it lost all the superlatives I mentioned above. The most noticable on being the powerful low bass.

So my worry about wasting money trying UAPP is, is this a function of streaming from the Android Note 8 platform using locally sourced files, and not the Neutron Player? So that UAPP might be equally unspectacular?

Or, has anyone had a similar experience, and UAPP & its custom USB drivers did indeed better Neutron in a noticable way when you went from one to the other?

Much appreciate all informed replies. Thanx! I wont buy UAPP until you talk me into it. :)

Feb 12, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #3,450 of 6,145
Looking for honest 1st hand bases experience here.... My question in short is:

I don't see a trial version of UAPP in the google app store. Should I pay $8 for UAPP if I had a negative experience with streaming music from my Note 8 using the Neutron player using it's high rez USB driver? Will UAPP indeed 'better' it? Honestly.

Why I ask.

Just got an E1DA PowerDAC V2. Very impressed with it when fed music from Roon, -both-

1. fed from a Windows 10 micro (arm based) PC (which didnt do any resampling)
2. or from the Roon remote app running on my Note 8 (where Roon does resample everything to 48kHz).

The two sounded nearly identical: dynamic, engaging, powerful bass, sizzling highs, clean detail everywhere ... all the superlatives.

So, I loaded up the Note 8 with my 163 songs currently on my favorite tracks playlist, so that I can take it with me (as roon is tied to only home use). I started Neutron and set it up for hi rez streaming. However, it lost all the superlatives I mentioned above. The most noticable on being the powerful low bass.

So my worry about wasting money trying UAPP is, is this a function of streaming from the Android Note 8 platform using locally sourced files, and not the Neutron Player? So that UAPP might be equally unspectacular?

Or, has anyone had a similar experience, and UAPP & its custom USB drivers did indeed better Neutron in a noticable way when you went from one to the other?

Much appreciate all informed replies. Thanx! I wont buy UAPP until you talk me into it. :)
Uapp is thr gold standard, every thread that has Android as a discussion, uapp is involved with most. It's the trusted Swiss army knife

Users who are viewing this thread

Back