USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Jan 28, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #3,392 of 6,142
The problem is that you are thinking that playing 16-bit over a 24-bit mode is not bit-perfect. There is absolutely no reason to want to achieve that. Even if you would succeed, it would be:
app 16-bit -> Android direct 16-bit -> oh, oops, the DAC only does 24-bit, so pad to 24-bit
whereas it now is:
app 24-bit -> Android direct 24-bit -> DAC 24-bit

Stop chasing ghosts!

No that's not what we're trying to do, nor why. I thought you knew what we were doing. I'll fill you in later.

Jan 28, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #3,394 of 6,142
Is there a way to visually confirm this?
I don't see any point in sorting album tracks on file name. If you gave the albums a track number, the app will use that, given their are unique and successive.

If I may...: I transfer some of my vinyl records to digital files ("vinyl rip"), and number the tracks using the vinyl numbering convention: A1, A2, ... B1, B2, ... Other Android and pc players recognize this numbering and sort the tracks the proper way, UAPP doesn't. Is it possible to "fix" this in a future version?

Jan 28, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #3,395 of 6,142
Would tagging track and disc not achieve the same thing?

Jan 28, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #3,397 of 6,142
You just need to enable the Quad DAC in the notification area and then you are set for the most part. Then it's a question if you play MQA tracks or not. If so, you need to enable the MQA flag in the HiRes driver flags (do NOT touch any of the other flags!) and enable bit-perfect mode. If you want to do some processing like EQ or MorphIt, then you don't need to do anything (except for not enabling bit-perfect).

Regarding the third screenshot: UAPP runs on thousands of different Android devices. It's not like options are removed when you run it on a specific device. In your case, it means that you don't need to change or worry about the Android audio settings since they are not used. Only the internal HiRes audio driver is pre-checked. The standard Android driver is NOT pre-checked unless you have a G7 model unknown to us, which would be rare.

The sample rate is set according to the source file sample rate when possible. If your track is 44.1, then it will play at 44.1. You say "Why is the sample rate set at 44khz? I play 24 bit files". Sample rate and resolution have NOTHING to do with each other. You can have 24-bit files at 10Hz or 8-bit files at 352800Hz, there is no relation whatsoever. Not sure what setting you unchecked, but I would advise at this point to go into the Android settings app, select Apps, USB Audio Player PRO and clear the app's data to clear all settings you may have changed. Please leave all audio options untouched, except for what I described above.

Never ever change the HiRes driver format. Changing that will most likely take you out of the HiRes direct path. The warning is shown below the preference option and the app will warn again when you have touched something in this area. For all 'known' devices to UAPP, these settings are all at their optimal values. Changing anything will likely send you straight to the Android audio 16-bit 48kHz mixer path.

I did as you suggested and that checkbox for Play through Android was unchecked after setup. Previously it was checked and I don't remember ever touching that setting.

I think everything is fine now with my settings. Thank you.

Jan 28, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #3,398 of 6,142
I would like to see sorting by filename be either an option or a fallback solution for when files lack metadata. The digital recordings that are sold at www.abruckner.com often lack track meta data.

Tag editors have come a long way and are easier to use. Meta for Mac is outstanding. Sure there is similar for windows.

Jan 28, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #3,399 of 6,142
Tag editors have come a long way and are easier to use. Meta for Mac is outstanding. Sure there is similar for windows.

Sure. I intend to tag these files using a PC app. A bit inconvenient and time consuming. I'm used to just throwing music files into music apps such as Neutron MP and sorting them as I wish irrespective of what meta data the files may contain.

Jan 29, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #3,400 of 6,142
Would tagging track and disc not achieve the same thing?
My files are properly tagged (I use Mp3tag) but it seems that UAPP doesn't like the A1, A2, ... B1, B2, numbering scheme

Here are some screenshots to show the issue:

1) Here's how the album is displayed on UAPP:

4fvjUgw.jpg

2) Here's the metadata according to UAPP:

oj7Asts.jpg

3) And here's the metada of the same file shown by other program (Autotag):

HvMvOBF.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #3,401 of 6,142
SMH you’re putting letters in a field that requires numbers.

If it’s Side A track 3, put Track number as 3 and disc number as 1.

if it’s side B track 2, put Track number as 2 and disc number as 2.

This is exactly what I do for any vinyl rips and there’s no issues.

Jan 29, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #3,402 of 6,142
Jan 30, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #3,403 of 6,142
SMH you’re putting letters in a field that requires numbers.

If it’s Side A track 3, put Track number as 3 and disc number as 1.

if it’s side B track 2, put Track number as 2 and disc number as 2.

This is exactly what I do for any vinyl rips and there’s no issues.

Thanks for your input but that's not the point, I try to stick to the vinyl naming scheme, and also using the numbering provided when I import the tags from the vinyl release on Discogs:

https://support.discogs.com/hc/en-u...abase-Guidelines-12-Tracklisting#Tracklisting

I'd love that UAPP would be flexible enough to support this.

Jan 30, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #3,404 of 6,142
Hey all... I tried searching for this topic but did not find what I was looking for. Apologies if it turns out to be redundant.

Is there no way, from the play screen, to return to your list of artists/albums/genres without having to press back a bunch of times?
For example, when I am on the screen I have pictured here, I have to press "back" 4 times to get back to my list of music to choose from...

No easier way? Someone please educate me if there is. Many thanks.

2020-01-30 14.35.03.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back