USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Jan 20, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #3,361 of 6,156
Hi @Davy Wentzler ,

I've had this apparent issue for a couple months, but I haven't gotten around to asking you until now... It happened soon after I updated to Android 9 from Android 8 on my G7, which was around December. (I did not keep close attention as to if this was an issue brought about by Android 9, or if it was just a coincidence with other UAPP changes... sorry. I'd be happy to test multiple system and / or UAPP versions if that'd be helpful.) FYI: I'm not using an external DAC; I'm just using what's built-in to my G7 and certified HiRes earbuds over the 3.5mm jack.

When playing 352/24 FLAC files loaded on my phone storage and SD card, in the phone settings app, turning the "Hi-Fi Quad DAC" to On decreases the audio quality (noticeable compression, digital filters change the sound, etc.). In other words, when the system slider is set to "On," listening bit-perfectly does not appear possible, even though enabled in UAPP. I've ignored this for a while, because I can get around Android's de-facto audio haze machine by turning the system "Hi-Fi Quad DAC" off (which I find quite ironic). Only catch is that I have to deal with the coarser volume control from the system when in this mode, rather than the "Hi-Fi" volume slider numbered 0-75, which is starting to get annoying now after a few months... Hence the message now :)

I never had to do this back in Aug / Sep / Oct when I bought UAPP with HiRes FLACs. The "Digital filters" and other modifications never did anything to the sound. In fact, this is still how it operates with 5.6Mhz DSD files loaded on my phone. When playing DSD files, changing the "digital filter" in Android settings does nothing to the sound. Interestingly, the "Hi-Fi Quad DAC" must be on in Android system settings order for UAPP to begin playing any DSD files. Once it does, it goes to my earbuds untouched. But, if I switch to a track in 352/24 FLAC in UAPP, then I have to go back to settings to turn off the haze (and my nicer volume control :frowning2: )

The way the system plays DSD files compared to PCM files is a mystery to me, but I'd love to learn how / why the system reacts so differently to these kind of files. My curious brain will take as many details as you're willing to hand out :D

I have a second issue with the audio on my G7, but I think it might be faulty hardware... So if you don't have any thoughts as to why this would be occurring, no need to respond. That said, I'd love to know if there's anything I can do software-wise to possibly fix this too :).

If I ever play any music--except DSD files, which are immune from any system adjustments still--with the DTS:X 3D Surround on (in Android system settings), it sounds like nonstop static, jitters, and stuttering (and the music sounds like it's going too slow). I've just stopped using it altogether due to these issues, but it was kinda fun to play around with some of my redbook FLACs a while back as it added a decent effect without killing the redbook quality. (This wasn't possible through UAPP the first couple months, as Android couldn't adjust the audio stream, but there was a period of 2-3 weeks right after the Hi-Fi DAC switch issue started before this issue started creating static.) It's not important to me if DTS:X ever gets fixed or not, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #3,362 of 6,156
Hi @Davy Wentzler ,

I've had this apparent issue for a couple months, but I haven't gotten around to asking you until now... It happened soon after I updated to Android 9 from Android 8 on my G7, which was around December. (I did not keep close attention as to if this was an issue brought about by Android 9, or if it was just a coincidence with other UAPP changes... sorry. I'd be happy to test multiple system and / or UAPP versions if that'd be helpful.) FYI: I'm not using an external DAC; I'm just using what's built-in to my G7 and certified HiRes earbuds over the 3.5mm jack.

When playing 352/24 FLAC files loaded on my phone storage and SD card, in the phone settings app, turning the "Hi-Fi Quad DAC" to On decreases the audio quality (noticeable compression, digital filters change the sound, etc.). In other words, when the system slider is set to "On," listening bit-perfectly does not appear possible, even though enabled in UAPP. I've ignored this for a while, because I can get around Android's de-facto audio haze machine by turning the system "Hi-Fi Quad DAC" off (which I find quite ironic). Only catch is that I have to deal with the coarser volume control from the system when in this mode, rather than the "Hi-Fi" volume slider numbered 0-75, which is starting to get annoying now after a few months... Hence the message now :)

I never had to do this back in Aug / Sep / Oct when I bought UAPP with HiRes FLACs. The "Digital filters" and other modifications never did anything to the sound. In fact, this is still how it operates with 5.6Mhz DSD files loaded on my phone. When playing DSD files, changing the "digital filter" in Android settings does nothing to the sound. Interestingly, the "Hi-Fi Quad DAC" must be on in Android system settings order for UAPP to begin playing any DSD files. Once it does, it goes to my earbuds untouched. But, if I switch to a track in 352/24 FLAC in UAPP, then I have to go back to settings to turn off the haze (and my nicer volume control :frowning2: )

The way the system plays DSD files compared to PCM files is a mystery to me, but I'd love to learn how / why the system reacts so differently to these kind of files. My curious brain will take as many details as you're willing to hand out :D

I have a second issue with the audio on my G7, but I think it might be faulty hardware... So if you don't have any thoughts as to why this would be occurring, no need to respond. That said, I'd love to know if there's anything I can do software-wise to possibly fix this too :).

If I ever play any music--except DSD files, which are immune from any system adjustments still--with the DTS:X 3D Surround on (in Android system settings), it sounds like nonstop static, jitters, and stuttering (and the music sounds like it's going too slow). I've just stopped using it altogether due to these issues, but it was kinda fun to play around with some of my redbook FLACs a while back as it added a decent effect without killing the redbook quality. (This wasn't possible through UAPP the first couple months, as Android couldn't adjust the audio stream, but there was a period of 2-3 weeks right after the Hi-Fi DAC switch issue started before this issue started creating static.) It's not important to me if DTS:X ever gets fixed or not, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

Can you please check if you have anything set in the HiRes driver flags?

Jan 21, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #3,363 of 6,156
Sure! Currently, I do not have any selected. I have tried testing multiple tracks with MQA on and off (with system reboots in-between to be safe) but that doesn't make a difference. (Not surprising to me, as I'm dealing with FLACs, not MQAs, but wanted to mention it).

Screenshot_20200121-083026.png

Also, I have rebooted the phone multiple times and made sure not to play anything though the system (e.g. YouTube or Chrome) before going straight to UAPP and trying a couple tracks. No such luck, as both problems above persist.
Also, if it's any help, my current OS is the Android 9, Oct 1 security patch all OTA (i.e. I've never manually update the OS).

Jan 21, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #3,366 of 6,156
Is anyone using the new SMSL M500 MQA capable DAC AMP with the app? Is so are there any issues getting the full unfold of MQA files and how does it sound???

I am currently using a Topping DX7S with the app and subscribe to Tidal running everything on a Anthem, Krell, Focal system. Thinking of possibly upgrading.

Jan 23, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #3,367 of 6,156
Got Samsung S10 (Exynos, Android 10), playing UAPP Tidal HiFi via Mojo and Bluetooth ES100.
On BT, I listen via LDAC set to 660 or 990 (higher quality), supported by ES100. UAPP is set to Bit Perfect

Please help me to better understand, regarding BT streaming utilizing UAPP:
1. On the phone, am I using the Samsung or the UAPP audio drivers?
2. Since Bit Perfect is not relevant with BT, how can I set UAPP to deliver maximum audio quality?

I use good IEMs: Shure SE846 (SE) and FiiO FH7 (balance)

Edit: going to get the FiiO BTR5 in the coming days.

Thanks

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #3,368 of 6,156
Got Samsung S10 (Exynos, Android 10), playing UAPP Tidal HiFi via Mojo and Bluetooth ES100.
On BT, I listen via LDAC set to 660 or 990 (higher quality), supported by ES100. UAPP is set to Bit Perfect

Please help me to better understand, regarding BT streaming utilizing UAPP:
1. On the phone, am I using the Samsung or the UAPP audio drivers?
2. Since Bit Perfect is not relevant with BT, how can I set UAPP to deliver maximum audio quality?

I use good IEMs: Shure SE846 (SE) and FiiO FH7 (balance)

Edit: going to get the FiiO BTR5 in the coming days.

Thanks

The internal hires audio 'driver' is still part of the Android audio system (modified by the manufacturer). The app 'plugs in' to this audio path and as such you are technically using the Samsung 'driver', although there is only one driver. It's just that with normal audio playing using official API's, there is a lot of processing happening before this stage.
Enabling bit-perfect will deliver bit-perfect audio to the part in the system where it converts and sends it over BT, so it should still be better.

Jan 23, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #3,369 of 6,156
Thanks
As far as I understand, for USB Audio (via the chord Mojo), only UAPP audio driver is utilized (not the Samsung driver) with full Bit Perfect quality. Is that correct?

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #3,370 of 6,156
Thanks
As far as I understand, for USB Audio (via the chord Mojo), only UAPP audio driver is utilized (not the Samsung driver) with full Bit Perfect quality. Is that correct?

For USB audio, it's a whole different story. Yes, then our driver is used.

Jan 23, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #3,371 of 6,156
For those interested the Huawei P30 Pro is working like a charm after the Emui 10 update. I have tested with ifi Zen, Sony Nw-wm1a, Hidisz AP60, Hidisz Sonata HD and Zorloo Ztella.
A question for Dave, have you considered adding Primephonic to the source supported?

Jan 23, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #3,372 of 6,156
For those interested the Huawei P30 Pro is working like a charm after the Emui 10 update. I have tested with ifi Zen, Sony Nw-wm1a, Hidisz AP60, Hidisz Sonata HD and Zorloo Ztella.
A question for Dave, have you considered adding Primephonic to the source supported?

Apart from the question whether it is possible, I have about 3 people a year asking for it.

Jan 27, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #3,374 of 6,156
For LG G7 when playing 16/44.1 files does it bypass Android Audio? I'm playing on Tidal and non MQA files often say 16/44.1 I read that the bypass happens by padding the 16bits to 24bits. Does UAPP do that automatically in the background or does the App have to show that its 24/44.1?

Jan 27, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #3,375 of 6,156
For LG G7 when playing 16/44.1 files does it bypass Android Audio? I'm playing on Tidal and non MQA files often say 16/44.1 I read that the bypass happens by padding the 16bits to 24bits. Does UAPP do that automatically in the background or does the App have to show that its 24/44.1?

I'd like to know how UAPP handles this issue as well. Neutron MP is very transparent in how it treats the audio before sending it to the Quad DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back