USA Wins!!!
Jun 6, 2002 at 12:26 AM Post #16 of 26
I stayed up to watch the game, it started at 2am right when I get off work
wink.gif
The US sure played with alot of speed and intensity. The 3rd goal by Miller was a great header. The Portugese own goal wasn't nearly as bad as the American.
Soccer, football, futbol....doesn't matter it's a great game!

Jun 6, 2002 at 2:22 PM Post #17 of 26
I think the word "soccer" comes from aSOCCiational football, a futbol organization from the 19th century that standardized all the rules.

Jun 6, 2002 at 8:33 PM Post #18 of 26
Looks like France (The defending champion) is out of it! With an upset loss to Senegal, and a tie with Uruguay, France will need a lot of help to make it into the next round...

Jun 6, 2002 at 8:46 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

The 3rd goal by Miller was a great header.

Don't you mean McBride?

Quote:

On an unrelated note, is anybody else really happy to hear that the Brazilian player Rivaldo got fined $7000 for that piss-poor acting job after getting hit in the thigh before a free-kick?

It's kind of ****ty that they chose to make a big deal of play-acting with him, since it's been going on for a while and not just in the World Cup. Doesn't it look fishy when a guy gets his legs and feet tangled but rolls around on the ground with his hands over his face? I guess in Rivaldo's situation, the play was stopped, he got hit standing still, and his acting was clear, but screw FIFA for being so biased about it.

Jun 7, 2002 at 12:48 AM Post #21 of 26
Congratulations on the victory Americans
smily_headphones1.gif
this has truly been a World Cup full of surprises...

Quote:

Originally posted by Enigma
Looks like France (The defending champion) is out of it! With an upset loss to Senegal, and a tie with Uruguay, France will need a lot of help to make it into the next round...

Don't worry, we'll do our best to prevent them from moving on
biggrin.gif

We should have beaten Senegal though, did any of you (non-Danes) see the game? we were cheated out of one goal (would have been 2-0 at that point), the replay clearly showed that Jon Dahl Tomasson didn't touch the ball with his hands (nobody's denying this fact, Danish TV2 even had another referee check it out) but you don't change a ruling like that in soccer
frown.gif
he even got a yellow card! We were also cheated out of a red card for Senegal rather early in the game, it was a true Backham moment, only - this guy kicked a lot harder...

Rivaldo's fine is a joke, the idiot makes more money in a day than he got fined... "example" - bah... (can you tell that I don't like Rivaldo?
wink.gif
)

Jun 7, 2002 at 1:26 AM Post #22 of 26
Enigma, US's next match is against South Korea at 2:30am EDT on Monday morning. Should be a fun game, since the Americans have a pretty good chance of beating the hosts in front of what will no doubt be a frantic crowd. Not as late as the other game, either, so might be able to get some sleep afterwards.

Then the US plays Poland on Friday at an even better time, 7:30am EDT, then onto the second round where they'll play Mexico. Off to El Paso for the riots!

kerelybonto

Jun 7, 2002 at 1:54 AM Post #23 of 26
I swear to god every time soccer is mentioned on the internet, people are like "OMG WE HAVE A DIFFERENT NAME IN MY COUNTRY OMG OMG"

You also eat biscuits and take the lift. Big deal.

Jun 7, 2002 at 2:22 AM Post #25 of 26
I agree with RMSzero. Let's call it soccer in this thread. I have no idea what you guys are talking about when you guys are calling it football. I keep thinking touchdowns and field goals when someone mentions football. I get confused really easy. Please, let's refrain from calling it football. I'd consider it a personal favor to me.

Jun 7, 2002 at 1:13 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
not only that but, they call cigarettes....

Fags... all of you!

rolleyes.gif

Good luck against South Korea Americans... they played a good match against Poland. It looks like you'll have to run like hell to keep up with them on the pitch
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back