CLOSED to NEW - See AudioTiers in my Signature: US Head-Fi Tour: VISION EARS ELYSIUM vs. VE8 vs. ERLKöNIG TOTL CIEM Tour - Starting November 2019
Jan 13, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #121 of 775
Erlkonig received. Everything looks to be in order. These are large for my smallish ears. As with the Elysium, I can get them to fit if I cram/tuck them under my antihelix, but this causes the helix/top of my ears to stick out at a funny angle. The nozzle is quite thick as well, really had to work to get Final tips on them.

Jan 16, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #122 of 775
received the west coast tour kit from Tybot.
Will post pictures of the kit later today.
first impression of the Elysium (after an hour or so listening), liquid... mid range vocals to die for, not a bass head's IEM.
Extremely smooth balanced sound, hits all of my sweet spots.

Jan 16, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #123 of 775
Barra,

I would like to be included in the bonus round (erlkonig).
Live in Frisco Texas. You have all my info from this and previous tours.

Jan 16, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #124 of 775
I really enjoyed my time with the Vision Ears offerings. The VE8 caused me to say something I don't think I've ever said before..."Wow, those mids!". They were amazing with buttery mids that stole the show for me and I not a mid guy in the slightest. I wish the treble had more sparkle but I might be ruined forever with all the estats and piezos I've been listening to recently. The thing that shocked me is how good they sounded straight out of my iPhone XS dongle. Really, really good. Not as good as higher end sources and amps, but definitely in the same zip code. Clearly a very easy IEM to drive. That cable though. That's really what comes with the >$2500 IEM? At only a few hundred $ more, the stock Elysium cable is light years better. The bass doesn't sound like BA bass. Very impressive to pull off.

The Elysiums were beautiful as well but clearly different. Crystal clear with decent low bass rumble. Harder to drive but that should be expected. I found myself liking the Elysiums quite a bit more after an extended amount of listening time and experimenting with different sources and settings. People who choose the Elysium as their endgame won't be making a mistake IMO.

The VE8 seemed very forgiving to me and sounds great with most any relatively high quality source. The Elysium rewards an investment in time searching for the best combination. Thanks for setting this tour up Barra. Very unlikely I would have heard them otherwise.

Jan 16, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #125 of 775
I struggle to find a good fit/seal with the Erlkonig...but when I do find it, the 3D spacing and placement is amazing. An "A-ha" moment for sure.

Jan 20, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #126 of 775
Hi. I'm sitting on my set-sent messages to Barra and to the next in line, haven't heard anything back. I'm wondering if I've somehow done something wrong in my try for contact, so I'm posting here to see if there is any info on how to proceed.

Jan 20, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #127 of 775
Hi. I'm sitting on my set-sent messages to Barra and to the next in line, haven't heard anything back. I'm wondering if I've somehow done something wrong in my try for contact, so I'm posting here to see if there is any info on how to proceed.

Not sure why they haven't replied. I'm sure you are aware to email @Barra as well as PM him here, and have contacted the next TWO participants?

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #128 of 775
PM'd

Let's move to next to make sure we ship out on time if you are not getting a response from the next two participants.

Jan 20, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #129 of 775
received the west coast tour kit from Tybot.
Will post pictures of the kit later today.
first impression of the Elysium (after an hour or so listening), liquid... mid range vocals to die for, not a bass head's IEM.
Extremely smooth balanced sound, hits all of my sweet spots.
I thought it was bass light in universal form as well - but good enough that I had to have one. In custom with a proper seal, the ELY bass takes a huge bump in quantity and quality making the bass a backup star of the show just behind the MIDs. VE seems to be a master at bass. The question is how do they get all that bass out of a single BA driver for the sub-region in the custom format. For reference, the VE8 bass in the universal is apparent, but the ELY custom has significantly better bass than the VE8 universal.

Jan 20, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #130 of 775
Barra,

I would like to be included in the bonus round (erlkonig).
Live in Frisco Texas. You have all my info from this and previous tours.
Added

Jan 20, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #131 of 775
My bad-I did cc Barra, but just sent my message to the next in line.
Next 2 in line PM'd to get things going again.

Jan 20, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #132 of 775
I thought it was bass light in universal form as well - but good enough that I had to have one. In custom with a proper seal, the ELY bass takes a huge bump in quantity and quality making the bass a backup star of the show just behind the MIDs. VE seems to be a master at bass. The question is how do they get all that bass out of a single BA driver for the sub-region in the custom format. For reference, the VE8 bass in the universal is apparent, but the ELY custom has significantly better bass than the VE8 universal.

In Universal I am definitely liking the VE8, there's something about it that just grabs me. The ELY's midrange though? to die for, but the lightweight bass just kills it for me
and I'm not a bass head. One thing I should mention, with the Spinfit CP145s I get the best seal I've ever gotten with a universal, way better than my 64Ears. I'm guessing
it's the longer nozzle?
These are large IEMs, don't think I could ever sleep with them in (not that I do that a lot), the ELY's were a bit uncomfortable to me,
if I were to go for these would definitely go to a CIEM.

Jan 20, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #133 of 775
Any comparisons between the andromeda and VE8? Obviously given the price difference and what I’ve read the VE8 is the better technical performer but in terms of soundstage, airy treble etc?

Jan 23, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #135 of 775
Elysium & VE8 West Coast kit on it's way to Aaf Evo.
I enjoyed these, was sorry to see the VE8 go, the Elysium just didn't do it for me.
I'll write something up a bit later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back