TOUR CLOSED - US Head-Fi Tour: PWAudio CIEM Upgrade Cables (Both 2-Pin and MMCX) - Starting October 2018
Dec 31, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #124 of 160
Set #2 (West Coast) is with me as of about 15min ago.

Dec 31, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #125 of 160
Just a couple of hours in and I have already picked out my favorites. In no particular order: the Saladin 8-wire, Loki 4-wire, Xerxes (both), 1980, and of course the 1950.

Listening to Hotel California from Hell Freezes Over through my Shanling M5/iBasso PB3 and the CTM Da Viinci IX is about as sensual as it gets. spanish guitars sound simply heavenly. What a song. What a group. What an IEM. What a sound.

My goodness gracious we are lucky, aren't we?

Jan 2, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #126 of 160
With regard to the previous discussion, I think the biggest benefit I notice from TOTL cables I the black background and improved resolution/separation. Also last night I had my first listen with the pw audio cables as I've been away with family for the holidays and I find both the 1950 and the 1980 to be exceptional. 1950 a bit less mid centric, a bit less full and a bit less sub-bassy than the 1980. I prefer the 80 over the 50 due to its dynamic sound with denser notes, slightly increased sub bass and holographic yet wide presentation. Exceptional layering and separation on both as should be expected with totl cables. Both are near the same level as the Han Sound venom with regard to blackness of the background. All thoughts VERY preliminary and may change as I listen to them. As expected there is MORE of a difference between the Han Sound Venom and the 50/80 than between the 50/80 themselves. Unfortunately I have t send them both off very soon, so I'll have less time tha expected with both. More thoughts to come.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #127 of 160
I think I posted tour receipt in the wrong thread, in the high end cable thread instead of this one. My bad!

Jan 10, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #128 of 160
So here are my final thoughts with regard to the 1950, 1960 and 1980 cables now that they are on their way to the next person. All were paired with the 64 audio A18t and the Hugo2.

1980:
Lush, full, dense midrange and lower frequencies. Good illumination on the edge of notes (good quantity in the high end) creating good in-stage separation between instruments. Vocals clear and forward enough to produce that 3d effect that I love so much about the Zeus XR monitor. To my ears, more bass than the 80 and defintely more than the 50. Blackets background between the three: 50, 60 and 80. Best value of the 3. Exceptional resolution especially in the bass and mids.

1950:
Less dense notes than the 1960, density on par with the 1980 maybe slightly less. Slightly less bass than the 60, defintely less than the 80. Also with excellent sonic image separation, slightly more silvery sound and slightly more quantity in the highs than the 60 or 80. Brightest background between the 3: 50, 60 and 80. Excels in stage dimensions, layering and separation, definitely the best of the three in this regard. Vocals also 3d. Exceptional resolution across the spectrum. I see it as an exceptional technical cable much like the venom, with an ever ever so slight V shaped signature, nearly a flat V. I LOVE the material they used to wrap this cable, it's soft but grainy when you run your finger down it, beautiful material, they should use it on all their cables.

1960:
Moderate density notes across from low's to high's. To my ears the most clinical of the 3. Excellent vocal reproduction as per the other 2 PW cables, mids slightly less forward than the other two. Most linear (nothing forward, nothing back, lows mids and highs on the same plane). Exceptional resolution across the spectrum.

Vs Han sound Venom & other thoughts:
To my ears the Venom remains king of black backgrounds. All 3 PW audio cables have more illumination around the edges of notes, a slightly brighter sound making details stand out more. Some might say all 3 and especially the 80/50 are more dynamic than the venom. The venom is definitely skewed toward creating a dark sound with slightly more mid and lower bass quantity, while the PW cables also have good bass quantity but more quantity in the high's (as per typitcal high quality silver sound). People used to a typical high quality silver sound will be more familiar with the PW cable sound on the 50/60/80 while the venom is a more dark, smooth and rich sound with good bass quantity, dense full notes and: exceptional resolution, massive stage, layering, separation and density of notes. The Venom has the largest stage of all, no doubt about that-the 1950 is the closest but still doesn't have the gulf like spacing between notes or massive dimensions of the Venom. The greater quantity in the highs is more apparent on the PW cables and probably the biggest immediate difference most will notice. Love my Venom and I will be keeping it but I wouldn't mind having the 1980 as a slightly brighter compliment as I'm still getting the awesome vocal effects with the 80 as I was used to with the Venom. IMO among the 3 PW cables, the 1980 will pair best with the most monitors. Interestingly, people have complained about the Venom with regard to ergonomics, I find it the most comfortable of the 4. After just a few days the PW cables (with the exception of the 1950) made the top-back of my ears sore where they wrap around it, not the case at all with the stiffer Venom. Both the 1980 and Venom are exceptional pairings with A18t. I will miss the 1980, if anyone wants to sell a used on, PM me.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #129 of 160
Set #2 on the way to the next available participant. As a side note, please remember to insure the cables. The set came to me priority mail, no insurance or signature required (unless my postal worker signed for me, as all she did was hand me the box). This is absolutely unfair to those of us who follow the guidelines and shell out the $ for insurance/sig req'd.

Impressions coming, but I will state up front that the Xerxes 8-wire and Saladin 8-wire were my two favorites. the 1980 was the best to me, IF I would want to afford one. It's signature fit my IEM's (UM Maestro V2) the best. But, I still preferred the two mentioned above as my favorites.

Cheers.

Jan 12, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #130 of 160
So here are my final thoughts with regard to the 1950, 1960 and 1980 cables now that they are on their way to the next person. All were paired with the 64 audio A18t and the Hugo2.

1980:
Lush, full, dense midrange and lower frequencies. Good illumination on the edge of notes (good quantity in the high end) creating good in-stage separation between instruments. Vocals clear and forward enough to produce that 3d effect that I love so much about the Zeus XR monitor. To my ears, more bass than the 80 and defintely more than the 50. Blackets background between the three: 50, 60 and 80. Best value of the 3. Exceptional resolution especially in the bass and mids.

1950:
Less dense notes than the 1960, density on par with the 1980 maybe slightly less. Slightly less bass than the 60, defintely less than the 80. Also with excellent sonic image separation, slightly more silvery sound and slightly more quantity in the highs than the 60 or 80. Brightest background between the 3: 50, 60 and 80. Excels in stage dimensions, layering and separation, definitely the best of the three in this regard. Vocals also 3d. Exceptional resolution across the spectrum. I see it as an exceptional technical cable much like the venom, with an ever ever so slight V shaped signature, nearly a flat V. I LOVE the material they used to wrap this cable, it's soft but grainy when you run your finger down it, beautiful material, they should use it on all their cables.

1960:
Moderate density notes across from low's to high's. To my ears the most clinical of the 3. Excellent vocal reproduction as per the other 2 PW cables, mids slightly less forward than the other two. Most linear (nothing forward, nothing back, lows mids and highs on the same plane). Exceptional resolution across the spectrum.

Vs Han sound Venom & other thoughts:
To my ears the Venom remains king of black backgrounds. All 3 PW audio cables have more illumination around the edges of notes, a slightly brighter sound making details stand out more. Some might say all 3 and especially the 80/50 are more dynamic than the venom. The venom is definitely skewed toward creating a dark sound with slightly more mid and lower bass quantity, while the PW cables also have good bass quantity but more quantity in the high's (as per typitcal high quality silver sound). People used to a typical high quality silver sound will be more familiar with the PW cable sound on the 50/60/80 while the venom is a more dark, smooth and rich sound with good bass quantity, dense full notes and: exceptional resolution, massive stage, layering, separation and density of notes. The Venom has the largest stage of all, no doubt about that-the 1950 is the closest but still doesn't have the gulf like spacing between notes or massive dimensions of the Venom. The greater quantity in the highs is more apparent on the PW cables and probably the biggest immediate difference most will notice. Love my Venom and I will be keeping it but I wouldn't mind having the 1980 as a slightly brighter compliment as I'm still getting the awesome vocal effects with the 80 as I was used to with the Venom. IMO among the 3 PW cables, the 1980 will pair best with the most monitors. Interestingly, people have complained about the Venom with regard to ergonomics, I find it the most comfortable of the 4. After just a few days the PW cables (with the exception of the 1950) made the top-back of my ears sore where they wrap around it, not the case at all with the stiffer Venom. Both the 1980 and Venom are exceptional pairings with A18t. I will miss the 1980, if anyone wants to sell a used on, PM me.

It’s interesting that we had the same set up with the cables (A18t, HUGO2) and both came to different conclusions about the listening experience... I though the 1950 was the blackest and best sounding of the three... very different ears... lol

Jan 15, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #131 of 160
Giving everyone the heads up, I have the east coast kit, got it yesterday at work. Have yet to check everything but I'm sure it's fine.

Jan 16, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #132 of 160
I received West Coast tour kit today. All looks good. I will contact the next one later and will ship them on Monday cus i will leave on Tuesday.

FF4811B8-30A2-42E8-81D5-F4F47F94D26C.jpeg

Jan 17, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #133 of 160
Set #2 on the way to the next available participant. As a side note, please remember to insure the cables. The set came to me priority mail, no insurance or signature required (unless my postal worker signed for me, as all she did was hand me the box). This is absolutely unfair to those of us who follow the guidelines and shell out the $ for insurance/sig req'd.

Impressions coming, but I will state up front that the Xerxes 8-wire and Saladin 8-wire were my two favorites. the 1980 was the best to me, IF I would want to afford one. It's signature fit my IEM's (UM Maestro V2) the best. But, I still preferred the two mentioned above as my favorites.

Cheers.

Signature Requirement

As a reminder, per the rules, the manufacturer has agreed to take the shipping risk as long as you require a signature to help bring down shipping costs. So you don't need to insure as long as you DO REQUIRE A SIGNATURE. If you do not opt for the signature requirement, then you bare the shipping risk.

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #135 of 160
East Coast kit went off to doctorjazz this morning.
Thanks again for giving me the opportunity to listen to these great cables.
Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back