Urgent Need For Portable Source For Working Out - Buy Now, Or Wait For Bluetooth 5?
Sep 26, 2018 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nightfall

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello. I'm in urgent need of a portable source for the five hours a week I walk in the pool at the health club, and, eventually, also for working out on machines. The boredom is really getting to me, I NEED music. However, everywhere I look,it says to wait for hardware with the vastly improved Bluetooth 5 standard due between now and years end. Of course, I can also find just as many articles saying the same thing, and claiming it would be out by the end of last year.

"IF", the new standard will offer improved bluetooth audio, and improved bluetooth audio range, I can try to withstand working out in silence for the next 60-90 days, But is really going to happen, and will it truly be worth it? I don't want to invest substantial funds in a portable source (and bluetooth headphones) right now, if it could become obsolete by year's end.

Any advice would be immensely appreciated.

Sep 26, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #2 of 9
The current version of Android already works with LDAC, and you can get the Sony splash resistant IEMs if you're looking for something like that. BT5 will match the quality of LDAC, but you're already well in to the range of transparency at that point.

Waterfi sells a player that uses an encased Chromecast, so it's going to be using wifi (can be used with your phone as a hotspot if the health club doesn't have wifi) but because the bandwidth is MUCH higher over wifi, it'd be sure to be pretty high quality. But then you need to find decent waterproof headphones to match it. http://waterfi.com/swimcast

EDIT: More info if you're interested https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/04/hands-on-waterfis-spotify-streaming-swimming-music-player.html

Ray's info is always very high quality.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 9
Hello. I'm in urgent need of a portable source for the five hours a week I walk in the pool at the health club, and, eventually, also for working out on machines. The boredom is really getting to me, I NEED music. However, everywhere I look,it says to wait for hardware with the vastly improved Bluetooth 5 standard due between now and years end. Of course, I can also find just as many articles saying the same thing, and claiming it would be out by the end of last year.

"IF", the new standard will offer improved bluetooth audio, and improved bluetooth audio range, I can try to withstand working out in silence for the next 60-90 days, But is really going to happen, and will it truly be worth it? I don't want to invest substantial funds in a portable source (and bluetooth headphones) right now, if it could become obsolete by year's end.

Any advice would be immensely appreciated.

Shanling m0. Cheapish and you can use as a decent back up player when 5.0 becomes standard.

Sep 26, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 9
Shanling m0. Cheapish and you can use as a decent back up player when 5.0 becomes standard.
+1. Currently use the M0 to gym, even today - it's great, super super super portable (it's really small) and the BT output is fantastic. Got mine paired with a cheap chi-fi bluetooth sports earbud on aptx and it works fantastic when running / lifting.

Sep 28, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #6 of 9
The M2s is worth the extra money if you want the extra features, and are comfortable with this size difference. The M0 is tiny, and great for the gym, which is my use case. I also have a Waterfi (kickstarter backer), and love it for swimming, and may be a better choice if most of your workout is in the pool, and you can keep you phone within a reasonable distance to the pool. One thing about the Waterfi as it stands though; only works on Android. They had last minute issues with an IOS update, so offered everyone to either delay delivery, get a refund, or be ok with the current version only working with Android.

Sep 28, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #7 of 9
How are you planning to waterproof the Shanling?

Depending on your budget, since you're going to be in a pool and working out, Garmins can now play MP3s, so something like a Garmin Vivoactive 3 Music with waterproof BT headphones is another option. While I often thing that people in this forum have funny views, the most outlandish are on what you should use to listen to music while working out. You don't need a hifi player. You're working out. My Garmin 645 Music is a WAY better MP3 player for working out than a Shanling M0.

But the Garmin is pretty expensive. You can also get waterproofed ipod shuffles, that's another option. Remember, you're going to be in a pool, you need to waterproof whatever you're using.

Jan 24, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #9 of 9
How are you planning to waterproof the Shanling?

Depending on your budget, since you're going to be in a pool and working out, Garmins can now play MP3s, so something like a Garmin Vivoactive 3 Music with waterproof BT headphones is another option. While I often thing that people in this forum have funny views, the most outlandish are on what you should use to listen to music while working out. You don't need a hifi player. You're working out. My Garmin 645 Music is a WAY better MP3 player for working out than a Shanling M0.

But the Garmin is pretty expensive. You can also get waterproofed ipod shuffles, that's another option. Remember, you're going to be in a pool, you need to waterproof whatever you're using.

Kinda offtopic, but have you managed to connect wired headphones over the shanking m0 via Bluetooth to a Garmin Vivoactive music for Spotify?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back