URGENT HELP
May 28, 2013 at 11:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Fuzziekiwi

1000+ Head-Fier
KRK Rokit 5 G1 speakers a pair for $99 at a thrift shop in very good condition, with no cables. Know what cables I need to use and can I use it with my computer?

May 28, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #2 of 18
I'm also wondering if this is a good deal? If they happen to not work we can get store credit which is fine.

May 28, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #3 of 18
Not a bad deal, you saved maybe $50 over used Ebay prices.

Does your receiver have analog out?  You can use a simple RCA cable to each speaker. 
Example LC-1 cable from Blue Jeans Cables

Or you can use a mini stereo (1/8th plug) to RCA cable from your iPod or S3 or computer

MSA-1 cable from Blue Jeans as an example
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm

May 28, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #4 of 18
For use with your computer, you'll need a cable that has a 1/8" stereo plug on one end and a pair of RCA's on the other. And since you'll have the speakers separated, you'll need one that you can split down the middle to get enough separation between the left and right RCA's.

Here's an example. I got these with some piece of electronics I bought, but you should be able to find the same type over at your local Radio Shack. Note that the cable itself is like zip cord so that the left and right RCA's can be split further apart.

se

May 28, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 18
That's it? Just plug in with a power cord and that? Some guy at best buy said I need a receiver or preamp

May 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #6 of 18
For use with your computer, you'll need a cable that has a 1/8" stereo plug on one end and a pair of RCA's on the other. And since you'll have the speakers separated, you'll need one that you can split down the middle to get enough separation between the left and right RCA's.

Here's an example. I got these with some piece of electronics I bought, but you should be able to find the same type over at your local Radio Shack. Note that the cable itself is like zip cord so that the left and right RCA's can be split further apart.

se
So those are the hands that posts Steve Eddy commentary. I expected to see an "adult" rated glove covering them. :p

Yes sir, that's all you need. Asking a sales person for advice on gear is a dangerous thing to do unless you know what you need and are looking for confirmation. Steve's cable can be used out of any source with a headphone jack.

May 28, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 18
I tend not to use preamps with active speakers but it is possible.  Not all receivers have analog/stereo or preamp outputs.  Many do but not all.  However, most things like CD players and DACs will have analog outputs and you could hook up these speakers directly to them.  You don't need expensive cables.  Monoprice or Best Buy or even Radioshack will have what you need to get started.      

Which receiver do you have?

Quote:
That's it? Just plug in with a power cord and that? Some guy at best buy said I need a receiver or preamp

May 28, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #8 of 18
Bought the cables and sadly one speaker doesn't work. They sound incredible though. Thanks for the help!

May 28, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

That's for your computer, which already has a volume control. Otherwise, if you were just going to come straight out of something like a CD player, you'd need a preamp for volume control between the CD player and the speakers.

se

May 28, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:
So those are the hands that posts Steve Eddy commentary. I expected to see an "adult" rated glove covering them.
tongue.gif

No way, man. I'm too cool to be using my own hands for anything like that. I hired a stand-in.
cool.gif

Quote:
Steve's cable can be used out of any source with a headphone jack.

Nothing off the shelf would work for that particular application. And I prefer to stick to off the shelf.

se

May 28, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #11 of 18
Good catch Steve, I thought these had built-in volume control on them already but nope.  

Quote:

That's for your computer, which already has a volume control. Otherwise, if you were just going to come straight out of something like a CD player, you'd need a preamp for volume control between the CD player and the speakers.

se

May 28, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:
Good catch Steve, I thought these had built-in volume control on them already but nope. 

They do actually have a volume control, but it's just a "set it and forget it" input level adjustment. It'd work if you didn't mind reaching behind the speakers to adjust the volume. But I think I'd get tired of that after a little while.
biggrin.gif

se

May 28, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #14 of 18
Reach around is always cheaper than a preamp 
biggrin.gif

With my Swan active speakers as an example, I never liked using a preamp because it drove the levels too loud with little volume play remaining but that could be a problem of Swans in a small room.  Gets loud fast.

Quote:

They do actually have a volume control, but it's just a "set it and forget it" input level adjustment. It'd work if you didn't mind reaching behind the speakers to adjust the volume. But I think I'd get tired of that after a little while.
biggrin.gif

se

May 28, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
Reach around is always cheaper than a preamp 
biggrin.gif

Yeah, but the ladies don't like that so much.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
With my Swan active speakers as an example, I never liked using a preamp because it drove the levels too loud with little volume play remaining but that could be a problem of Swans in a small room.  Gets loud fast.

The problem is that it's still common to find preamps with upwards of 20dB of gain, which is absolutely ludicrous given that most power amps have input sensitivities of just a volt or two.

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back