URGENT - CANALPHONE USERS HELP!
Dec 31, 2004 at 9:31 AM Post #16 of 28
E5 sounding thin?!... Man.. I don't know.. maybe your ear canal shape simply just can't use canalphones at all. There's never, ever been a single complaint about E5's being "thin".. hmm....

The tri-flange tip that E5 uses is the same as any other universal canalphone's tri-flange... So.. if that doesn't work for you, I don't think any canalphone will work.

It seem that you haven't tried any of the other tips either..?

Dec 31, 2004 at 10:27 AM Post #17 of 28
No, I tried 'em all.
tongue.gif
Triflanges definitely sound the best.

BTW, my brother tried the Shures...he thought they sounded exactly like Apple earbuds. Actually, he's right...although they are definitely MUCH more accurate and MUCH less tiring...they have exactly the same character.

Dec 31, 2004 at 10:29 AM Post #18 of 28
And thin is definitely the word I'd used to describe it...especially vocals. Or maybe that they lack body...completely.

Dec 31, 2004 at 10:41 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by justanotheruser
okay - they can have my used sleeves if they really want 'em

i sent an email to shure complaining about the triflanges - i hope they don't get the wrong impression - it's hard to imagine this hasn't happened to anyone else - but in my opinion these sleeves are plain dangerous

I think most people perhaps try the other tips rather than forcing the tri-flanges in to the extent that they fuse with their ear canal, but i guess perhaps they aren't as focused on getting the sound they want
biggrin.gif
if you wedge them in way too deep then the seal you'd get might make extracting them tricky. In 'normal' use pulling the outer ear up/out and/or twisting the ear pieces will break the seal making taking the tri-flanges out easy.

If you got 'thin' sound from the E5 with the tri-flange wedged into your ear then can only imagine the tip was somehow crushed up in your ear and blocked; the 'usual' complaint is that the bass is overpowering

Glad you've survived your ordeal relatively unscathed.

Dec 31, 2004 at 11:35 AM Post #20 of 28
e5cs don't happen to have a burn-in period do they?

i just put 'em in with the small flexy things to try 'em one last time after playing them loudly for several hours...they sound somewhat better I think...even without the triflanges, or maybe i'm imagining things

Dec 31, 2004 at 11:37 AM Post #21 of 28
*******! they do sound different...my 192 bitrate celine dion songs sound like they've been put through a phaser! that's a good indication...

Dec 31, 2004 at 11:58 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

e5cs don't happen to have a burn-in period do they?

i just put 'em in with the small flexy things to try 'em one last time after playing them loudly for several hours...they sound somewhat better I think...even without the triflanges, or maybe i'm imagining things

There is, or was, another post on this forum stating that all canalphones do NOT need "burn-in". I can't remember why, it's something to do with the electronics. What you are feeling is a mental version of burn-in. Not sure of its technical name. I guess it's just called "Getting used to the sound", but there is a technical name for it like psycho-somethingmawhatsit.

Anyway, there's a post flying around somewhere about this. It's an interesting topic nonetheless.

Dec 31, 2004 at 12:01 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

*******! they do sound different...my 192 bitrate celine dion songs sound like they've been put through a phaser! that's a good indication...

Celine Dion? Your ears should be bleeding rigth now
biggrin.gif
. Anyway, maybe you should have your ear checked, just in case. And I am really sorry that you got hurt. Happy New Year by the way.

Dec 31, 2004 at 12:14 PM Post #24 of 28
actually...I just came back to the forum to address the mental aspect of this

first, on a "physical" note - these sound much better at lower volumes - maybe because my computer and iPod have such crappy amps?

then...I notice that if I don't try to pick out the details and just relax and let them come to me these sound much better - kinda hard to explain...I'm hoping I continue to make progress, though, as I like the results

Dec 31, 2004 at 12:58 PM Post #25 of 28
the bass disappears when I turn up the volume...or gets clippy and compressed...it's EXCELLENT at low volume...I'd not heard this before...maybe I need an amp?

Dec 31, 2004 at 1:02 PM Post #26 of 28
Just wondering: have you ever wondered that you might have a defective pair?

I mean, the E5C's aren't for everyone, but when ANYONE thinks they sound the same as the Apple stock ear-buds, something's up.

Dec 31, 2004 at 6:39 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitarmarama
There is, or was, another post on this forum stating that all canalphones do NOT need "burn-in". I can't remember why, it's something to do with the electronics. What you are feeling is a mental version of burn-in. Not sure of its technical name. I guess it's just called "Getting used to the sound", but there is a technical name for it like psycho-somethingmawhatsit.

Anyway, there's a post flying around somewhere about this. It's an interesting topic nonetheless.

All components need burn-in. If the Shure's or the Ety's don't require burn-in because there aren't any moving drivers, then at least the cables need some time on them to smooth out. This is quite evident in IC's and powercords. Even Cardas and VPI and other cable manufacturers advise you that it takes 40-100 hours to break-in their products.

Jan 2, 2005 at 7:29 AM Post #28 of 28
Yeah, it's possible they were broken. Who knows. I have heard other complaints about 'em sounding incredibly bad, so maybe they only work with certain ears?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back